Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#973 2008-10-02 08:49:52

redbot
Plugin Author

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

net-carver wrote:

Yes, that’s more like it. Yeah that will need looking at, are you running the latest dev version there?

Yes.

#974 2008-10-02 19:08:04

els

net-carver wrote:

BTW, there is a little technique you can use to help you track down where the strings are used.

Has anyone ever tried this on an MLP site? As soon as I click another tab, all strings change back to normal :(
I don’t know if this is because of MLP? On other, MLP-less, sites it works as expected.

#975 2008-10-02 19:51:34

els

In zem_contact_lang-mlp I found two strings that do not occur in zem_contact_lang and that, as far as I can see, are not used in the zem_contact_reborn code either: 'receiver' and 'to'.
Question: what is the best way to handle this when translating for the MLP String Exchange? Remove the strings from the plugin code? Leave the translation empty?

#976 2008-10-03 02:12:48

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Els wrote:

Has anyone ever tried this on an MLP site? As soon as I click another tab, all strings change back to normal :(
I don’t know if this is because of MLP? On other, MLP-less, sites it works as expected.

Oops, sorry Els, that is the MLP pack switching it back. You can still do it but it’s a little more involved. Here’s how…

Install an extra language from admin > preferences > languages. In my case, I installed Polish (pl-pl).
I than ran this query against the DB… UPDATE `txp_lang` SET `data` = `name` WHERE `lang`='pl-pl';
(Remember to update the language code to match your extra language.)

Upon refreshing the page, I can now choose Polish (pl-pl) and when I do, I see all the strings as you would with the previous hack.

You will get a few warnings on visiting some pages unless you also add the extra language to the MLP site languages. If you are doing your translation on a test site then just go ahead and add it and the warnings will go away.

Question: what is the best way to handle this when translating for the MLP String Exchange? Remove the strings from the plugin code? Leave the translation empty?

That’s a good question. I think they are left-overs from previous versions of zem_contact_reborn. I’d leave them in for now just in case someone’s running an older copy of that plugin with the MLP pack — it doesn’t really matter if they are in there.

Steve

#977 2008-10-03 15:42:48

els

net-carver wrote:

Install an extra language from admin > preferences > languages. In my case, I installed Polish (pl-pl).
I than ran this query against the DB… UPDATE `txp_lang` SET `data` = `name` WHERE `lang`='pl-pl';
(Remember to update the language code to match your extra language.)

Upon refreshing the page, I can now choose Polish (pl-pl) and when I do, I see all the strings as you would with the previous hack.

You will get a few warnings on visiting some pages unless you also add the extra language to the MLP site languages. If you are doing your translation on a test site then just go ahead and add it and the warnings will go away.

Thanks Steve, I did all that but now it works for the Txp strings, but not for the l10n strings (and those are the ones I need ;) ). Which can be expected I suppose, because the l10n strings are only inserted in the lang table when a translation is added? Or did I miss a step?

Edit: never mind, I realize I can get this working by running the query for en-gb (backup first of course).

Last edited by els (2008-10-03 15:51:36)

#978 2008-10-03 15:51:53

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Els

Hmm, are you running your site in debug mode?

Steve

#979 2008-10-03 15:53:43

els

No, mode is set to live, setting it to debug doesn’t make a difference.

Last edited by els (2008-10-03 15:56:24)

#980 2008-10-03 15:59:11

els

Steve
Don’t spend too much time on this. As I said (edited my previous post while you were posting) I can temporarily use en-gb for this. It’s only a test install.

#981 2008-10-03 18:16:14

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Heads up: Txp 4.0.7 will contain one changed line which will affect MLP.

#982 2008-10-03 18:24:37

els

Yet another question… my apologies for all the questions, I read and re-read the plugin help, and if this has already been addressed in this thread, please let me know and I’ll search again (wish there were ways to search a thread other than reading all 99 pages…)

I copied my live site to a local install. Afterwards I made some changes to the zem_contact_lang-mlp strings on the live site, that I wanted to export to the local install. So here is what I did:

1. in the live install, in tab MLP > Plugins I chose zem_contact_lang-mlp
  2. clicked ‘Export’ next to ‘Nederlands’ in the statistics section of the screen.
  3. that gave me a file: zem_contact_lang-mlp.nl-nl.inc, saved it.
  4. in the local install, in tab MLP > Plugins I chose zem_contact_lang-mlp
  5. copied the contents of the .inc file and pasted them in the box below ‘Import Plugin Strings’
  6. clicked ‘Import’, all strings were displayed (the correct strings from the live install)
  7. clicked ‘Save’, and clicked ‘OK’ on message ‘This will insert or OVERWRITE all of the displayed strings. Are you sure?’

But it did not overwrite the existing strings in the local install. What am I missing this time?

#983 2008-10-04 00:22:05

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

wet wrote:

Heads up: Txp 4.0.7 will contain one changed line which will affect MLP.

Thank you for the advance notice — much appreciated.

Els wrote:

But it did not overwrite the existing strings in the local install. What am I missing this time?

Not sure, that should work. Only thing I can think of right now is to make sure your local site isn’t in debug and try again. Could you email me clearly relabelled export files from both sites for the nl-nl translations please and I’ll install nl-nl on my test server and give try it out.

Steve

#984 2008-10-04 10:10:24

beztak
Website

How to avoid url rewrite for favicon.ico (or animated favicon.gif) if they are in root? To avoid url rewrite I pushed them to images directory. I have to do this on this new site powered with the latest MLP plugin. Maybe there is a solution to have them in root (I know it’s not necessary, it’s just a question).

Last edited by beztak (2008-10-04 10:13:10)

Board footer