Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-09-25 21:52:19

jstubbs
Website

TXP Tips site goes live!

I am pleased to announce a new site called TXP Tips. The aim of the site is to create and maintain an easy to use resource for helping people build TXP powered sites.

Rationale behind the site:

1. Textbook has code tips, but the main emphasis there is what you need to get started with TXP. Sometimes that is not enough, and its easier to build using ready made code clips. TXP Tips aims to make the process of building TXP sites easier and more fun.
  2. Its hard to find the code tip you want – just when you need it – especially when it is buried deep in the forum!!

Inspiration:

I had the idea a couple of days ago after seeing this post and the post immediately after it. Since I had a day off yesterday, I built the site and added those two posts as the first two tips. (I have to ask renobird and thebombsite for their permission, but wanted to post their code examples since they inspired me to start the site)

Please contribute

I would like to ask anyone who has a code example to contribute to the site by using the TXP Tip submit form

To do

The site needs content, and I will slowly add a lot of code clips and tips over the next few days and weeks. The site is not really finished, but it is functional. The design is based on simple, classic TXP branding. Content is king, the design should get out of the way.

Hope everyone here finds the site useful as content is gradually added.

#2 2008-09-26 00:25:30

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Re: TXP Tips site goes live!

Thanks, great idea – I like the forum but it is cumbersome to get to the things you need to know.

Last edited by JanDW (2008-09-26 01:25:45)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#3 2008-09-26 00:56:38

masa

Very nice!

I’ve always been a fan of Textpattern’s FAQ, and I really like your idea to provide more sophisticated tips in a similar no-frills fashion. I might even submit some of my own, meagre examples ;-)

#4 2008-09-26 01:21:24

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

I have a suggestion: maybe it would be nice to have the articles link back to where they originally appeared – in this case the forum entries?

Last edited by JanDW (2008-09-26 01:45:12)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#5 2008-09-26 01:59:53

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

Subscribed.

Txp admin themes | dropshado.ws – a blog for design noobs like me

#6 2008-09-26 03:18:54

renobird
Website

jstubbs,

Love it!

I’m flattered that the posts Stuart and I made would have inspired this. : )
Of course you have my permission. I love the idea!

One bit of input on the site – the actual code is a bit difficult to read over the grey background.
Maybe something like this? (scroll past screencast) – with the code in a single color of course – too much work otherwise. :)

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

#7 2008-09-26 03:20:09

renobird
Website

I need to look back through some posts – there are def. other jquery based examples I’ve posted that would be great there.
I think mattD posted some good ones too.

:)

Tom

#8 2008-09-26 03:34:58

renobird
Website

JanDW wrote:

I have a suggestion: maybe it would be nice to have the articles link back to where they originally appeared – in this case the forum entries?

This could be a good idea – especially since the forum thread might have troubleshooting ideas or other suggestions that could help in particular situations. This would be especially true if there was a lot of activity on the thread before it got posted to TXPtips.

Last edited by renobird (2008-09-26 03:35:58)

#9 2008-09-26 03:47:23

masa

renobird wrote:

This could be a good idea – especially since the forum thread might have troubleshooting ideas or other suggestions that could help in particular situations.

I agree, but I’d like to see the essence posted on TXP Tips and the forum thread mentioned only as an additional reference.

#10 2008-09-26 04:28:30

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

renobird wrote:

One bit of input on the site – the actual code is a bit difficult to read over the grey background.

I had written this in my own comment, but edited out because I don’t think its the background as much as the padding on the background-color and the text-size. Anyhow, I concur with renobird that I find the typography a little hard on the eye.

masa wrote:

I agree, but I’d like to see the essence posted on TXP Tips and the forum thread mentioned only as an additional reference.

exactly.

Subscribed to the feed as well – how about an RSS/atom icon on the page?

#11 2008-09-26 06:14:47

jstubbs
Website

Hi everyone – thanks for the comments so far!! Just quickly, because I have to go to work:

1. Styles updated with bigger code font. Please check.
  2. RSS/Atom feed added

For other comments, it will have to wait until later. Thanks and keep the comments coming!

#12 2008-09-26 09:36:41

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

JanDW wrote:

Plus there are those copyright laws that also are present in forums.

Board footer