Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#121 2008-09-05 16:38:04

zero
Website

Re: TxP.com home page

That’s a good list, Stef. I just have a few minor points:

• “Assumes” had negative connotations so perhaps Textpattern defaults to the tab where you Just Write
  • All CMS will claim many plugins but I think txp has the simplest way of installing them – copy/paste – so personally I’d emphasise that.
  • “Forced” has negative connotations so perhaps just miss that out
  • Personally again, I think txp is more stable and thoroughly tested than other CMS so would like to see that mentioned
  • As for the tone, I didn’t notice anything wrong with it.
  • I think Just Write stands up fine on its own because (and you may find this hard to believe but it’s true) I hadn’t thought of Just Right before but still thought Just Write was a good phrase.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#122 2008-09-05 17:33:02

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

zero wrote:

Personally again, I think txp is more stable and thoroughly tested than other CMS so would like to see that mentioned

There are bugs in Textpattern, but most of them are (and have been) used as features, or they have open features (sitename-tag, some global calls, plugin types, plugin tab registering etc.) ;)

Not about Textpattern itself, but have to say, it’s just hard to find all bugs, when some might even be (read: are) transparent. But there is always some bugs or something wrong or a feature that is cause because bug or a bad security.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-09-05 17:37:58)

#123 2008-09-05 17:38:50

els

I love ‘Just Write’! Keep it please.

#124 2008-09-05 17:44:16

zero
Website

I’m not sure what you mean about bugs being used as features, Jukka, I guess it’s a technical thing? I was referring to it from a non-technical user’s perspective – it doesn’t crash and the only problems I see are when I install an incompatible plugin. Plus you don’t see, afaicr, calls for bug fixes straight after a release because of all the testing that goes on beforehand. So I think it’s stable and thoroughly tested. Is this not true from a technical viewpoint?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#125 2008-09-05 18:04:43

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Els wrote:

I love ‘Just Write’! Keep it please.

…but keep in mind, that we are targetting both users and pros (designers, agencies). The latter don’t write but build.

#126 2008-09-05 18:09:52

maniqui
Website

The “Just write / Just right” is a nice play on words.
But then, it seems to aim only the end-user who writes entries. But maybe, it can be “interpreted” further, surely.

For end users: “Just write… content/articles/blog entries”.
For developers/designers: “Just write… code/html/css/txp tags” (no FTP involved)

edit: wet seems to think the same, in above post

Another play on words comes to my mind, but being that I’m not native english speaker… it may not be so cool as I think it is ;).
It’s related to the just write and the empty canvas.

“Textpattern: feeling the emptiness” / “Textpattern: filling the emptiness”

The ideas involved:

• the empty canvas
  • the small fingerprint of TxP (< 2mb)
  • the lack of overbloated features / lack of daily-discovered bugs and weekly security updates / lack of problems
  • and TXP filling some gap on the CMS market
  • and of course, feeling Textpattern… or don’t you feel it? :P

(I hope I’m not being too cheesy)

Last edited by maniqui (2008-09-05 18:11:40)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#127 2008-09-05 18:12:17

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

zero wrote:

Is this not true from a technical viewpoint?

Yes and not.

Same like saying that there aren’t any bugs in Windows. It works, it is fully tested but still some dude always finds new bug and security hole. Same thing with all other piece of softwares. Some of bugs are caused by the language itself, sometimes there is just typos in the code and sometimes the code isn’t enough well written.

Facts:

• Textpattern is stable.
  • Matter of what, there are bugs.

Used as features, I mean, some of the things that we do and use, are bugs, not actually things that are coded, but caused by bug in the code. Feature, feature bug, buggy feature, call it what ever you want.

But that is why TXP is developing, that why new versions come and that is why old versions should be updated when new stable version comes out.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-09-05 18:14:57)

#128 2008-09-05 19:31:51

zero
Website

OK, Jukka, so I’ll withdraw my request. But I’ve seen what Maniqui refers to several times:
the lack of overbloated features / lack of daily-discovered bugs and weekly security updates / lack of problems
so some simple way of saying that would be good, imho.

I like what you’re saying about emptiness, Julián, it’s almost poetry. But don’t try and make it rhyme, that would be cheesy! The trouble is that like humour, it’s great for those who understand it but confuses others and may make them feel excluded. But it’s all in how it is written…

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#129 2008-09-05 20:02:50

jm
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

and of course, feeling Textpattern… or don’t you feel it? :P

Textpattern: Is it in you? Simplicity, GOOD :).

#130 2008-09-09 12:50:32

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

btw, why isn’t this thread under the forum/website subforum?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#131 2008-09-09 17:41:11

maverick
Website

Good work all.

Personally – I like “Txp: Just Write”. Great little tag line. Developers should be smart enough to see why that’s good for their clients.

And, with no intention of hi-jacking the work or the thread, but as a bit of comic relief among all this serious discussion, in the spirit and idea that having fun together is good for the team, may I suggest the reverse of “Reasons To Try”? ;)

“Reasons Not To Try Texptattern”

## I prefer to pay for my software
## I’m personal friends with Matt Mullenweg
## I miss Dean . . .
## I’ll roll my own CMS
## I want frequent upgrades
## Your Turn!

Hey – if we want to show our sense of humor, we could even include it on the website ;-P LOL

Mike

Last edited by maverick (2008-09-09 17:43:30)

#132 2008-09-10 00:47:32

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

So I’ve been following the discussion and I’m really excited that the community feels the same way I do. I would love to contribute with this effort. I put together my own comp for a landing page. The link takes you to the html page, not just a jpg.

First off, this is just a comp. My own contribution that we all can bounce ideas off of. Maybe I jumped the gun by going straight to the design instead of focusing on the content.

I took the wireframe that Destry and squaredeye had put my own spin on it. Throughout my design process, I contemplated the brand of Textpattern. In terms of branding, we have an opportunity to differentiate TXP from the other CMS’s out there. I suggest looking at the landing pages for WP, Drupal, Movable Type, and Expression Engine. They all share similar design elements – all common of modern day web design. And following the design principles it’s obvious that TXP should stand apart from that look. Please note:

• Georgia is the only font used. Everyone else uses sans-serif for their body text.
  • Others have mentioned newspapers in describing out TXP works, and also the trust users feel when visiting the site.
  • Black and white is classy (right?)
  • keeping it minimal
  • integrated header that could be used across the entire site

As you can see, I didn’t add a screenshot of the txp backend. This goes with the differentiating but also, a screenshot can’t paint a picture as well as some other content might. I like what Destry said about showing designers what Textpattern can do, rather than what it is, so there’s a spot for the showcase. We could have rotating sites featured.

In terms of content – the copy text I used is just to get some ideas going. I think the landing page should focus on 4-6 selling points on why you should use Textpattern. I know we all want to mention all the wonderful things about it, but if we can boil it down to 5 points, it makes the message much more clear. Every other CMS is a “flexible lightweight solution” So how can we create an identity for ourselves? For me, Textpattern is all about the balance between simplicity and power. Simple because its easy to use and tweak. Powerful, because you can do all these things with it. Copy-writing obviously isn’t my strong suit.

Let’s keep this conversation going. I’ve got a lot more to say!

Txp admin themes | dropshado.ws – a blog for design noobs like me

Board footer