Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#865 2008-08-02 02:37:36

redbot
Plugin Author

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

Hello,
don’t know if is a problem of mine or if it’s a little bug:
in the file edit page (the page you are directed to when uploading or editing a file) there are as many “description” textareas as my languages are. So far nothing wrong. The fact is the labels for the textareas don’t seem to work properly.
I have three languages installed (english, french, italian) and instead of:
Description
Description
Descrizione
(what I would expect for english, french and italian respectively) I have these labels:
“English (GB)”
“Français”
“Description [Italiano]”
for english, french and italian respectively.
Am I doing something wrong here?
By the way, the more I use the MLP the more I understand what a huge work there is behind it.
Thanks!

#866 2008-08-02 08:56:57

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

dreamer wrote:

When you say that you don’t know how complete or up to date they are, are you referring to the strings in the MLP Pack or what is inherent in TXP?

I was talking about the translations for Txp available from the Txp language server. The MLP Pack itself comes with English and Ελληνικά (Greek) strings for it’s admin interface. I don’t have any other stringsets available for it — however, there’s a chance someone might have one available in Español (maybe others.) If you were to post a request for that in a new thread (I think only the diehards will be reading this thread by now) you might get lucky.

I took a look at that list of ISO-639-1 and it seems like all my languages are supported. cool

That just means that the MLP Pack can serve public pages using that encoding. Of course, you or your client(s) will have to write the content in those languages.

If you or your site’s administrative users also want to use the admin side of Txp in any of those languages then, AFAIK, you’ll need to do some work to get all the admin strings into Farsi.

If you also want the MLP Pack to integrate into the different language schemes on the admin side then you will also need to provide translations of the MLP’s strings in almost all of those languages too (remember only English and Ελληνικά come provided.)

You’d also need to provide localised stringsets for all of the plugins you plan on using if you wanted your admin users to have a single-language experience on the admin side.

It’s a lot of work all-in-all, and that’s in addition to providing the translated public content.

If you can get by with just English on the admin interface then you’ve already got it and can concentrate on just the public work.

I highly recommend you get familiar with the MLP Pack before you try using it on a client site or closing a deal with a potential client. Please also be aware that the Pack only works well when installed in the root of your site — that means you can’t have it in a sub-directory of a domain…

• it works when txp is installed to serve requests to www.yoursite.com
  • it breaks when txp is installed to serve requests from www.yoursite.com/my_mlp_area (including on localhost subdir installs.)

Please try it before committing yourself.

Last edited by net-carver (2008-08-02 09:03:35)

Steve

#867 2008-08-02 09:08:05

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

redbot

Hello again.

No, that’s the right output (assuming your Admin language was Italiano at the time you made the observation). However, looking at it now, so far from the time I wrote it, I think it needs reworking.

I’ll see what I can do.

Last edited by net-carver (2008-08-02 09:08:34)

Steve

#868 2008-08-02 11:12:50

redbot
Plugin Author

net-carver wrote:

No, that’s the right output (assuming your Admin language was Italiano at the time you made the observation). However, looking at it now, so far from the time I wrote it, I think it needs reworking.
I’ll see what I can do.

Yes, your assumpion is right (note in my previous post I didn’t write the labels in the correct order).
Thank you

Last edited by redbot (2008-08-02 11:27:25)

#869 2008-08-02 17:13:42

redbot
Plugin Author

Hi Steve,
having started to use the MLP, I thought I would post here my list of suggestions/features.
Please note I’m only talking about minor changes, mainly directed to grant a better usability for non technical users (at least from my point of view). Apart from these the pack is working exceptionally well.

Here are my suggestions (for now):
1) localized “description” label in the “file edit” page (see my previous post)
2) localized category titles in the “file edit” page (now they show always in the default language)
3) localized section titles in the “write” tab (I’ve already mentioned this in a previous post)
4) localized custom fields labels in the “write” tab (I’ve already mentioned this and probably this is not “a minor change”)

That’s all. I’ve posted this list hoping it could be useful to hear some impressions from a new user: it’s not my intention to bother you with endless feature requests!

#870 2008-08-02 17:27:34

jstubbs
Website

Steve, just wondering if the MLP pack will become a plugin in 4.07 instead of a hack? Is this likely to happen?

#871 2008-08-02 23:09:21

maniqui
Website

I was about to ask the same, being that in some lost thread (about TxP.com, I think… ok, here it is), graeme suggested he could make some changes to make MLP less hacky, and wet replied devs “would glady introduce unobtrusive hooks/extensions/callbacks into core which helps with that goal”. :)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#872 2008-08-11 15:27:20

goncalo.dumas
Website

Why is it that we can’t just have the i18n plugin and skip the admin-side plugin “gbp_admin_library”?
I don’t have any need in translating the administration interface.

Could there be a simple® plugin focusing only on the visitor side of the site, a l10n “Lite”?

One other question. Is it possible to replicate some of the information already present in the original article, mainly: Section, Categories and Custom fields. This is because everytime I clone a rendition, it always looses this data.

Overall, a great plugin, unrivaled in all othe cms’s out there!

#873 2008-08-12 01:15:58

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

patchwork

Thank you for those positive words — very encouraging!

Re: a ‘lite’ version; I don’t plan going down that route. You are right in saying there are functions that are used to help with translating the admin interface but most of those (not all) are also used in translating the public-side strings too.

Re: Graeme’s gbp_admin_library; I think it will have to stay as it provides the tabbed interface support used by most of the MLP pack (prefs,article table, snippets etc) It also provides preference support, url data passthrough and the base class used by the install/uninstall wizard. A lite version without this would need serious rework.

Overall I don’t have the time to do a ‘lite’. However, the source code is all there in the download zip and is GPLed if you want to take a shot at it.

Re: Cloning loses data; Ooh. That sounds like a problem. All custom fields, the section and cats are already copied into the cloned rendition if I’m not mistaken. Anybody else seeing this?

Steve

#874 2008-08-18 16:27:01

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

All

mlp-0.8.5dev.zip is a snapshot of my development version that adds…

• “Specials” entries for the custom field labels. (Admin only). To use this feature, go to the advanced prefs and give each field you want to use a label as you normally would. This label is the one that will be used on the public interface for outputting cfs or testing them. Then you can go to the MLP > Snippets > Specials tab and you’ll see them all there. These are the ones used on the admin side. Simply edit them and save. Now check out your write tab, switch langs and check it again.
  • Fixes a snippet counting bug.
  • Provides support for snippets in admin-side dashboards.

Steve

#875 2008-08-18 17:20:04

redbot
Plugin Author

Great news Steve!
I’ll try it as soon as I can
…and for the millionth time: thank you!

#876 2008-08-18 22:29:22

maniqui
Website

:)

To upgrade an existing MLP 0.8.715 installation, is it just a matter of installing the admin side plug-in? Or is there more work involved?

BTW, there is a little issue with zem_event. In the “Write” tab, there is an “Event” fieldset where “event categories” (a new kind of categories added by zem_event) are displayed as checkboxes (so, you have both the common article categories and also the attached event categories).
Well, the issue is: when MLP is activated, event categories labels aren’t displayed. They are left blank, but you can see the checkboxes there.

Not sure if this could be fixed on zem_event side or in MLP side. I just report it for future reference.

Steve, thanks again!

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer