Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#721 2008-04-29 20:26:46

azw

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

What appears in the list of languages on this page: Content > MLP > Preferences ?

If you have both forms of Portuguese, remove the one you don’t want.

You’re using the long forms aren’t you? (The long forms have 5 characters.)

If that doesn’t help, edit the file: textpattern/lib/l10n-langs.php and see if that helps.

I see that there’s only one entry in this line (I can’t see the accents so I may have guessed wrong):

'pt'=>array( 'pt'=>'Portugués' ) ,

What if it said this?

'pt'=>array( 'pt'=>'Portugués' , 'pt-pt'=>'Portugués' ) ,

Last edited by azw (2008-04-30 05:06:58)

#722 2008-05-01 05:04:40

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

All

I’ve been busy doing some hefty research over the past two months so apologies for not checking-in during that time. Still continuing with the research but I have started checking this thread and the forum again. I hope I can start to answer some of your questions now. However, it will take me a while to work through the backlog.

One of the highest priority issues I can see in the last 100 posts or so is that of imperfect article deletion. As a stop-gap measure you should check the language specific tables for undeleted renditions (in addition to the normal textpattern table.)

Regards

Steve

#723 2008-05-01 05:11:11

azw

Welcome back, Steve! We’ve missed you!

#724 2008-05-01 05:47:58

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

azw

thank you, nice to be back.

all

My next project is tri-lingual charity site (English, Chinese and Bahasa Melayu) using MLP on Txp 4.0.6 so I hope I can nail some of the problems you’ve been having with the 4.0.6 + MLP combination.

Edited to add: Glad to see that the language strings export/import feature is finally bearing fruit. My hope is that we can get a free-exchange of plugin string renditions going using it. Should we start another thread under the internationalisation board for these translations?

Last edited by net-carver (2008-05-01 05:52:53)

Steve

#725 2008-05-01 05:57:48

azw

On a new thread for translations: That might be a very good idea. It would be too hard to find them in this long thread.

#726 2008-05-01 17:49:21

milkshake
Website

Any ideas how to initially bypass the language detection to make a landing page?

So instead of automatically going to mydomain.com/en, first going to mydomain.com/landing.php which has a choice of languages taking you to mydomain.com/en, mydomain.com/it etc.

mod_rewrite? HTTP redirect?

TIA

#727 2008-05-02 02:42:43

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

milkshake

Here’s an idea; I’ve not tried it myself yet. It relies on being able to do an output_form call within the body of an article (rendition) so you’ll need to check if that’s possible before trying this…

1. Create a section called ‘home’
  2. Put the HTML of your landing page, with links to the localised homepages in a form — let’s call it landing_form
  3. Create a rendition in your default language that simply says output_form form="landing_form" and assign the rendition to the ‘home’ section
  4. Clone that rendition to all languages and don’t edit them (all clones match the source rendition)
  5. On your default page, use a conditional detection for the homepage (I think there’s one in the glx_if plugin) and use article_custom to display your landing article if it is the homepage.

Now if someone goes to your site url it shouldn’t matter what language their browser is configured for, they should see the landing page. Once they click a link they’ll be going to site/lang/home and should see whatever you put in the ‘home’ section’s conditional if_section.

That’s from the top of my head but I hope that triggers some creative ideas for you.

Edited to add: Actually, even if you can’t output a form from the body of an article (or rendition), just put the code directly in the body of the source rendition and clone it anyway. Should work then.

Regards,

Last edited by net-carver (2008-05-02 02:47:14)

Steve

#728 2008-05-02 10:33:24

milkshake
Website

Thanks for your reply Steve,

I decided just to give the landing page its own section and make this the homepage. I was looking for a way to avoid multiple renditions as the content will be the same across all languages.

Maybe a feature request: It would be great if there was a preference to exclude certain sections — posts in all languages should appear in the blog section, for example.

#729 2008-05-02 11:36:45

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

milkshake wrote:

…I was looking for a way to avoid multiple renditions as the content will be the same across all languages.

Right, actually that was my motivation for suggesting the use of a form for the common content :-)

Regards,

Steve

#730 2008-05-02 11:42:00

milkshake
Website

net-carver wrote:

Right, actually that was my motivation for suggesting the use of a form for the common content :-)

OK, you were way ahead of me :)

#731 2008-05-08 07:16:55

milkshake
Website

Any way to customize the permissions for MLP?

#732 2008-05-08 15:57:57

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

milkshake wrote:

Any way to customize the permissions for MLP?

Not without editing files at present. There are a couple of things in the MLP preferences tab but they are global, not done on a per-user basis.

Can you describe what you want to achieve?

Steve

Board footer