Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2008-04-02 16:54:01

Bloke
Developer
Website

Re: smd_remote_file: Manage remote URL downloads via TXP's Files tab

Heh, or it could be me being a total tool.

Try v0.41 [ compressed ] which adds the smd_file_download_name tag. Sometimes I’m such a dilbert; fancy offering an option to remove the .link from the URL and forgetting to add an option to allow you to remove the .link from the file name that you display to visitors, duh!

Under TXP4.0.6 you should now be able to use smd_file_download_link and smd_file_download_name; both tags in their default configuration will remove the .link. Add show_link="1" to re-instate it (or use the built-in file_download_* tags).

Sorry about my dimness. Let me know if that gets you going.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#22 2008-04-02 18:35:57

aswihart
Website

Works great Bloke, thanks so much for this awesome plugin.

#23 2008-04-09 09:01:53

Bloke
Developer
Website

Minor bug fix for handling of the .link extension in smd_file_download_link. Sometimes the .link was left behind.

v0.42 [ compressed ]

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern.

#24 2008-05-01 10:31:01

nardo

Bloke – which file services have you used (apart from fileden) with this plugin?

does it only work with the services that allow a direct link to the file (as opposed to the ones that make you wait 30 seconds, etc)?

#25 2008-05-01 10:52:03

aswihart
Website

I would think you could use it with anything, the ones that “make you wait 30 seconds” or whatever usually have a direct link somewhere on that “waiting” page that you could copy and paste.

#26 2008-05-01 10:54:46

Bloke
Developer
Website

nardo wrote:

does it only work with the services that allow a direct link to the file (as opposed to the ones that make you wait 30 seconds, etc)?

Yes I believe so; I’ve only used fileden in anger because they allow direct URLs. I would suspect any services with a time-out system in place would fail, however, sites that allow you to protect your files with a password should work, and prompt for p/w on download. Untested.

EDIT: As aswihart says, if you can hack the URL out of the ‘please wait’ page then even better. If it’s that simple why doesn’t everyone do it :-)

Last edited by Bloke (2008-05-01 10:59:38)

#27 2008-05-02 22:46:09

aswihart
Website

Bloke, just wanted to say, this is the dream plugin for me, you really outdid yourself. I spend an extra few cents each month with Amazon S3 to host a few movie files for my site. The number of files will continue to grow over time, meanwhile, I may actually downgrade my web hosting to the very minimal one with very low storage space. Most place give you like 10 gigs, I use “A Small Orange” (amazing customer service) and they give me just 400mb on a $5 / month plan. I’m thinking with your plugin I could get by with the “Tiny plan” that gives 75mb for $25 / year, not a huge savings probably, but cool nonetheless.

Do you think you could extend the plugin or write another one to work with remote images as well, retaining all the images functionality in Txp? That would be really sweet.

Last edited by aswihart (2008-05-02 22:47:30)

#28 2008-05-05 12:10:55

Bloke
Developer
Website

aswihart wrote:

this is the dream plugin for me, you really outdid yourself.

:-) Glad it’s useful. Certainly helps me out, as I have a fairly low bandwidth hosting plan too.

Do you think you could extend the plugin or write another one to work with remote images as well

I did consider it, and may still find a way to extend it for images as well. I wasn’t sure the bandwidth saving would be worth it — which is one of the reasons I went for the big fish of the Files tab first — but I guess with image-heavy or photography sites the bandwidth mounts up.

The only tricky part is that images don’t have the concept of file_download and with so many image/gallery plugins out there it would mean either a dedicated tag (which would be a direct replacement for <txp:image> and thus potentially rather limiting) or intercepting any image calls to the database from any image plugin. Not sure if that’s possible but I’ll certainly look into it when I have time and see if it’s feasible.

#29 2008-06-09 15:49:10

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

oh sweet sugary balls bloke this is a great plugin! i’ve been away for a while but this was worth coming back to!

#30 2008-06-09 22:31:39

Bloke
Developer
Website

iblastoff wrote:

this is a great plugin! i’ve been away for a while but this was worth coming back to!

Thanks, and no probs. Glad it’s useful.

Good to see you back. I’ve been recommending your plugins to a whole bunch of people who have contacted me these past few months about image management and improving the admin experience.

P.S. you may have missed smd_query and smd_vars. Might be worth a look, even if it’s to scoff at the code or suggest improvements.

Board footer