Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-02-24 16:36:42

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

[feedback] Textdrive, Joyent - same deal, different provider

Hi,

In the two years that I’ve followed Textpattern, it hasn’t been a smooth ride on the hosting front.

Textpattern, the project that gave birth to Textdrive, which was subsequently bought out by Joyent, is treated like an illegitimate child over for the holidays. Joyent feels obligated to host the Textpattern domains but doesn’t have the time to spend on them.

At this present moment, we’re not able to sign on to MediaWiki and Trac is AWOL. We’re not talking about esoteric applications, no, this is the most widely used Wiki and the most widely used project management system that can’t seem to work on a Joyent account.

Were I to need a host, you can bet that Joyent is not one that I would choose.

#2 2008-02-24 18:34:49

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: [feedback] Textdrive, Joyent - same deal, different provider

@Bert, I think Mary has actually been able to track down the problem. It was something quite tricky ( related to PHP )
I think it’s gonna work better, once we get off from MediaWikki.

regards

Last edited by marios (2008-02-24 18:35:05)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#3 2008-02-25 01:04:23

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

1. Wiki is down due to a PHP setting. There’s a topic about it in the Textbook forum.
  2. Trac is down due to a Trac bug, which I have to get fixed. It’s tricky because the file is buried deep in the Python installation (a downside to using Trac). We only just moved Trac to the new Accelerator, so this is your typical growing pains.

Joyent hosting is free, easy to use, and typically reliable. If we want to get even more dedicated support (Filip often spends a lot more time with us than we’d get for $$$), we’ll have to pay money none of us has. Considering that the dev team donations didn’t really work out, I can’t see the community paying for hosting either. That’s not a complaint, just a fact of life.

#4 2008-02-25 14:27:46

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Mary wrote:

Considering that the dev team donations didn’t really work out, I can’t see the community paying for hosting either.

You’ve never asked for donations towards hosting. I’ll bet that a hosting provider would host Textpattern for free if they were given prominent placement on the front page, like you do for Joyent.

As for paying Filip to get things working, I would think that it’s in Joyent’s best interests to make sure Textpattern is humming along. Textdrive worked hard to get projects to come on board because they were setting up the right software atmosphere, is Joyent not conducive to open source projects anymore?

#5 2008-02-25 15:23:36

reid
Website

hcgtv wrote:

Textdrive worked hard to get projects to come on board because they were setting up the right software atmosphere, is Joyent not conducive to open source projects anymore?

I don’t know. Do you think threads like this might have any influence, where they are thoroughly trashed and condemned for bugs in software they didn’t create, like Trac? Just a thought…

TextPattern user since 04/04/04

#6 2008-02-25 18:12:16

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

reid wrote:

Do you think threads like this might have any influence, where they are thoroughly trashed and condemned for bugs in software they didn’t create, like Trac?

Since early in its history, TextDrive has provided support to open source software projects; the company donates a portion of proceeds from each customer’s hosting services to an open source project of the customer’s choice, and has offered hosting services specifically tailored for developers of open source projects.

Reid, is Trac not an essential part of an Open Source project’s tailored environment?

#7 2008-02-25 18:20:20

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

What’s the source of that statement, other than the fact that it says so on Wikipedia?

#8 2008-02-25 18:24:59

reid
Website

hcgtv wrote:
Reid, is Trac not an essential part of an Open Source project’s tailored environment?

Perhaps. But Mary wrote: “It’s tricky because the file is buried deep in the Python installation (a downside to using Trac). We only just moved Trac to the new Accelerator, so this is your typical growing pains.”

And for what it’s worth, when I first read your initial post on Sunday, I emailed Jason to at least make sure he was aware of it, as there have been times people assume the problem is “known,” when in fact no ticket has been filed. And yes, that’s the same Jason who helped set up many things txp related prior to Textdrive’s existence, and who is still at Joyent.

While it is not only possible but highly likely that an Internet company’s focus might change in the course of four years, many of the people are the same. And it’s been my experience that, given a chance, they fix what’s broken.

Last edited by reid (2008-02-25 18:52:48)

TextPattern user since 04/04/04

#9 2008-02-25 18:27:39

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

ruud wrote:

What’s the source of that statement, other than the fact that it says so on Wikipedia?

i remember seeing it on textdrives own page. no idea where it is now though.

#10 2008-02-25 19:09:01

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

#11 2008-02-25 22:28:41

nardo

have great respect for the Textdrive/Joyent team and understand that over time priorities change; sometimes not in alignment with your own but accommodations are part of any long-lasting relationship … Txp is no longer front & centre; on shared accelerators the Txp file_download tag does not actually work … but the contract was for great hosting with possibilities, and a safety net – not a wet nurse … also like Txp it teaches you patience, this lesson is free but very valuable ; )

#12 2008-02-25 22:53:20

hakjoon
Website

One thing on the support ticket thing. The Textbook issue came up when we were initially migrated to the accelerator and then mysteriously fixed itself, only to come up again.

Last time it came up I asked Filip if these issues should be handled through some sort of support desk thing and he said that the hosting server for Textpattern is provided ‘as is’, but that he throws as much time towards it as he can as he is an old time TXP user.

He has been great and overall very responsive, and I completely understand priorities getting in the way, but from his phrasing it does seem like we are kind of on our own, not withstanding Filip’s ability to help. So we wait.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

Board footer