Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-01-27 14:07:57

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Feedback to: Help us test the release candidate for the upcoming 4.0.6

See weblog post: http://textpattern.com/weblog/309/testing-upcoming-406-rc1

The final, official 4.0.6 release is scheduled for next week, unless unexpected problems or errors arise.
We’re looking for people who like to help us make sure that we didn’t miss any regressions or introduce new bugs. We would like to get feedback on clean installations and updates from older versions.

Make sure that if you use this release candidate, you also update to the final 4.0.6 version when it is released.

Download:
textpattern-4.0.6-rc1.tar.gz
textpattern-4.0.6-rc1.zip

Note:
  • The included HISTORY.txt file already lists most of the important changes since 4.0.5. If we missed something, let us know.
  • This download advertises itself as 4.0.5 (r278x) in diagnostics, because we haven’t yet bumped the version number.

Plugins that require updates:

• asy_jpcache: needs add_privs('asy_jpcache');
  • asy_sitemap: needs add_privs('asy_sitemap');
  • rss_db_admin_manager: needs add_privs('rss_db_man'); add_privs('rss_sql_run'); add_privs('rss_db_bk');
  • glz_custom_fields: upgrade to the soon to be released version 1.1
  • bab_newsletter: needs add_privs? latest version looks okay
  • stm_image_uploader: upgrade to version 0.4
  • fpx_image_import: needs add_privs('fpxii');
  • mem_self_register: upgrade to version 0.9 (requires mem_form)

If other plugins break in 4.0.6, post them in this topic and describe the problem

Fixing admin-side plugins that loose an (extension) tab after the 4.0.6 upgrade:
For the plugins listed above as needing add_privs, edit the plugin, look for the bit of code that looks like:

if (@txpinterface == 'admin') {
  register_tab("extensions", "event", "tab name");
}

And change it to (of course, replace ‘event’ with whatever it is called in the plugin):

if (@txpinterface == 'admin') {
  add_privs('event', '1');
  register_tab("extensions", "event", "tab name");
}

Last edited by ruud (2008-01-31 17:55:06)

#2 2008-01-27 14:12:27

guiguibonbon

Re: Feedback to: Help us test the release candidate for the upcoming 4.0.6

French translation for “article_categories_deleted” has an { too much.

[Ruud: fixed]

#3 2008-01-27 14:35:42

els

I just upgraded my local install. When I try to visit the Extensions tab, I get a message ‘Restricted area’. Logging out and in again did not help. I am the only user (publisher rights).

Edit: in the Extensions tab I can see and visit the tabs for bas_lets_see_yours, tru_tags, ied_plugin_composer and bas_flvplayer, but the tabs for rss_admin_db_manager have disappeared.

Last edited by els (2008-01-27 14:40:52)

#4 2008-01-27 14:56:40

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Els, I suspect that’s because admin-side plugin privileges must now explicitly be specified by the plugin
Some plugins may need a little update.

Edit the rss_admin_db_manager plugin and below the first line (containing txpinterface == 'admin') add the following three lines:

add_privs('rss_db_man');
add_privs('rss_sql_run');
add_privs('rss_db_bk');

#5 2008-01-27 15:10:32

els

That worked, thank you. Now I can import the live db (and edit the plugin again ;)).

Tiny other thing: there is still this confusing setting in advanced preferences:

Never display e-mail address?

It was discussed before, I know you can’t just invert preferences, but the text could be adapted. You said this :)

[Ruud: preference text is updated now]

Last edited by els (2008-01-27 15:12:16)

#6 2008-01-27 15:46:24

els

Can you tell me if anything has changed in the comments preview? I now have imported my live db into the local install, so all used forms and tags etcetera are exactly the same. Yet, locally in the comments preview, the error messages show up twice now. I don’t know where to look to find the cause.

<txp:password_protect /> does not work at all in my live 4.0.5 install (meaning: it’s not asking for a login and password), I’ve read the threads about that problem and just waited for 4.0.6 because you said it would be improved. Now locally, it keeps asking for login and pass, and does not recognize them whatever I change them to.

#7 2008-01-27 15:54:54

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

Trying it here: walkerhamilton.com

Working perfectly. It definitely requires modifying some plugins, though.

#8 2008-01-27 16:08:00

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Els
Check your “comments_form” form. It probably contains multiple <txp:comments_error> tags at the top. If this happened during a normal upgrade, what was the previous version you had installed?

Did password_protect work for you in 4.0.5? We did improve a few things, but it very much depends on your server setup. When PHP is used in CGI-mode, it probably won’t work, although we’ve made some improvements for people using Lighttpd and people using FCGI.

Walker,
Which plugins need changes, what problems do you see (from a user perspective) and what needs to be changed?

#9 2008-01-27 16:15:00

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

Ruud: Actually, my friend and I were looking at everything this morning. Here’s our notes:

• The width increase on the write page is awesome.
  • Needed to change admin plugins only (that whole explicitly setting add_privs thing)

So….nothing needing attention that either of us have noticed.

#10 2008-01-27 16:17:04

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

On a side note, my friend thinks that there should be an https url field in the prefs that lets one set the https url (so that if it’s set, /textpattern checks to make sure it’s on a secure connection). With a pref, shared servers that have a host-provided https cert can have a url that is completely diff. from the one that the user has set as their site url.

This also works by connecting textpattern admin to a secure url which is connected to an IP.

[Ruud: this is a feature request, not a bug or regression. It’s too late to implement anything like this in 4.0.6]

Last edited by Walker (2008-01-27 16:18:01)

#11 2008-01-27 16:17:43

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Do you remember which admin plugins needed the add_privs thing added? I’ll compile a list of plugins that need updates in the first post of this topic.

#12 2008-01-27 16:21:45

els

ruud wrote:

Check your “comments_form” form. It probably contains multiple <txp:comments_error> tags at the top.

You are right, there were two comments_error tags. I had not looked at the form because I just imported the database, so how could the local form not be identical to the live one? But they weren’t. I don’t get it. Anyway, solved :)

Did password_protect work for you in 4.0.5?

No, it did not prompt for a login at all. It used to work, but I don’t know when exactly it stopped working.

…very much depends on your server setup. When PHP is used in CGI-mode, it probably won’t work,

How or where can I see if this is the case? Locally I don’t think so, I’m just using LAMP on Ubuntu.

Board footer