Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-01-16 15:42:28

Anton
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [ARCHIVED] Postmaster (0.4.4) -A simple newsletter manager

thanx ben, exactly what i was looking for! :)

now i just have to find out why it stopped sending after ~1500 addresses.. :(

#14 2008-01-16 15:50:07

gerhard01
Plugin Author

[…] I’ll make a more prominent note that the attribute values have changed

Ben,

is there a replacement for

<txp:bab_pm_data display="description" />

?

Update: Found out by myself: listDescription

Last edited by gerhard01 (2008-01-16 15:55:10)

#15 2008-01-16 16:31:30

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Anton,

If you haven’t tried to send another mailing yet, you should be able to resume the mailing where it left off. The trick is to rebuild the url of the mailing page (without using the module on the write tab, which scrubs the “flag” column). I can’t think of it offhand — it’s something like:

http://www.example.com/textpattern/index.php?event=postmaster&step=initialize_mail&radio=1&list=[list_name]&artID=[article_id]

This should resume mailing (it will begin its process of collecting all email addresses without “mailed” in their “flag” column) where it left off. One thought is perhaps your batch size caught up with you, another thought is your domain may have some sort of governor?

If you try it and it works, we can create an entry for how it’s done in the Postmanual.

• Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2008-01-16 16:32:26)

#16 2008-01-16 19:09:18

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

benbruce wrote:

colak,

Can you try updating your Form so that the tags are:

<txp:bab_pm_data display="Body" />

and

<txp:bab_pm_data display="subscriberName" />

?

I think that’s going to solve your problem. I’ll make a more prominent note that the attribute values have changed.

Thanks Ben,

Why is it that software so is seldom the culprit? Most of the times it’s the user who is messing it up.
All seems to be working just fine now. I’ve been waiting for this version before we go public with the newsletter and it seems great!!!

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#17 2008-01-17 08:39:21

gemal
Website

One small fix:
If the From and Reply-To are the same the Reply-To field could/should be left out. So instead of:

Reply-To: spam@no.com

you could just use:

#18 2008-01-17 09:01:47

gemal
Website

I think there’s a error in the library code:

The code reads:

$sep.‘Content-Type: text/plain; charset=“UTF-8”’. $sep.‘Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=”’.$mime_boundary.’”’.

shouldn’t that be just:

$sep.‘Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=”’.$mime_boundary.’”’.

???

#19 2008-01-17 09:19:24

gemal
Website

sending out notifications with text and html versions doesn’t seems to work. The headers override doesn’t work in bab_pm_mime

the notification is still send out the text/plain as content type :(

#20 2008-01-17 16:10:58

colak
Admin

Well, a day has passed and i am already filling the db with people who asked us to ‘spam’ them:)

The plugin works great from here – but we only send plain texts.

Ben,

Not that i would expect you to sit down and do it but here are a few comments regarding the usability… For the record i am currently using mac osx.3.9 and ff2.0.0.11

• I found that the fields in the “Add a Subscriber” page do not recognise the enter/return key to post/save the entry but instead they change the line, like in a word processor.
  • In the same page, instead of having a “List” field, a combo box might be more appropriate as typos (which i am notorious for) can be prevented.
  • I would like to see some jquery functionality in the different interfaces, especially to multi-edit subscribers
  • The layout of the “List of Subscribers” breaks when the subscriber(s) belong to many lists or when the lists have long names.

I can but imagine the amount of work you have put into this and the above are by no means 100% necessary. They are just some initial observations.

Yiannis
——————————

#21 2008-01-17 17:13:00

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

colak,

good news. thanks for the thanks, and the recommendations. they all sound good, but some initial thoughts: the List field has a nifty feature which is cascading lists which I think might be nixed using a “combo box” (which honestly I don’t know what that is). I definitely wanted to do multi-edit, but it was going to hold everything up so I let it go (added to the feature requests page ). You can change the width and height of subscriber inputs in your Postmaster Library (don’t do it yet because Gemal has noticed an error and it’ll have to be overwritten) — I think that will help your situation. Finally, are those anything you can help with?

gemal,

good eye. I can’t find the Library error you mentioned, can you give me a line number? I’ve fixed the header issue you mentioned to the mime emails work again (I got too caught up in trying to get everything neat and made an error). I think I’ll wait and see if any other errors are found and I’ll post the fix later today.

• Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2008-01-17 17:55:58)

#22 2008-01-17 18:23:18

colak
Admin

“combo box” (which honestly I don’t know what that is)

Please read “multiple select list” when “combo box” is mentioned :)

Finally, are those anything you can help with?

My php is non existent and my javascript is more like appropriating code rather than anything else. I am going through the source code of your library and if i figure out why the layout breaks on long lists I will definitely post it here.

Re cascading lists Does the commonality have to happen at the end of the word as per your example or can it happen in the beginning?

ie would “newyorkbrooklyn” and “newyorkqueens” both be included in a batch mail to newyork?

>edit typos

Last edited by colak (2008-01-17 18:27:48)

Yiannis
——————————

#23 2008-01-17 18:32:12

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Colak,

It doesn’t matter where the text is in list names (so as you say, “newyorkbrooklyn” and “newyorkqueens” would both be included in a batch mail to “newyork”). Technically, you don’t even need to establish the lists “newyorkbrooklyn” and “newyorkqueens” in Postmaster — you could establish only “newyork” but then use your subscription form to insert “newyorkbrooklyn” or “newyorkqueens” into your subscriber’s List field.

Check out this page for how to customize preferences. I think this would be a hack, rather than the proper fix to the issue, but might solve your broken layout issue in the meantime.

• Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2008-01-17 18:45:56)

#24 2008-01-17 18:58:34

colak
Admin

benbruce wrote:

It doesn’t matter where the text is in list names (so as you say, “newyorkbrooklyn” and “newyorkqueens” would both be included in a batch mail to “newyork”). Technically, you don’t even need to establish the lists “newyorkbrooklyn” and “newyorkqueens” in Postmaster — you could establish only “newyork” but then use your subscription form to insert “newyorkbrooklyn” or “newyorkqueens” into your subscriber’s List field.ut

that makes sense. It is actually a vey useful function for us as we can have a ‘nememembers’ list and a ‘nemecontributors’ one with ‘neme’ sending to both.

Check out this page for how to customize preferences. The article needs to be updated (there are some new miscellaneous prefs including field width and height) but should give you an idea of how to change the subscriber input fields width. I think this would be a hack, rather than the proper fix to the issue, but might solve your broken layout issue in the meantime.

Well, unfortunately, I figured it out and it is not possible to fix as the list names cannot have spaces in between them. here is a screenshot which demonstrates the layout break.

Last edited by colak (2008-01-18 13:34:04)

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer