Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-09-04 20:44:35

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

immerse cms?

has anyone tried the open source immerse cms?

it seems to have the power of expressionengine’s highly configurable custom fields but without the proprietary price tag. this is the single feature i’ve been looking for within an open-source cms thats without bloat. i haven’t downloaded/tested it yet but it looks rather promising (minus the fact that i hate their webpage and their blatant “hey look! we’re totally web 2.0 too!” look but whatever)

they also have a weird stigma “There are no plans to reverse engineer the Immerse CMS code for Internet Explorer 6.” while i agree with this in principle…

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-09-04 21:19:38)

#2 2007-09-04 21:18:34

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: immerse cms?

Have you looked at the license

Immerse reserves the right to change the terms of this Agreement at any time. Changes to the Agreement will be announced on the Immerse web site, and are binding whether you have viewed the changes or not. A current copy of this Agreement will be available on the Immerse web site. Changes to the license affect all historical releases of the Software unless otherwise noted.

Yes, it’s open source (currently).
Yes, it’s free as in beer (currently).
No, it’s not free as in freedom.

#3 2007-09-18 20:05:02

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

If you’re interested in such features (and who wouldn’t be?) you might want to check out MODx. It looks promising, but is still in a tumultuous phase of its development. The upcoming 0.9.7 release is supposed to have a completely re-written core, several changed template tags, and other changes that will probably require re-working already deployed sites.

For now, getting such features in a stable package appears to require paying for commercial software. I have yet to run into very much that I couldn’t accomplish with Textpattern plugins and a little extra effort, however.

#4 2007-09-18 20:10:04

hakjoon
Website

FYI Immerse are the same guys who started Etomite, which went commercial spawning MODx. So their track record is not great as far as Free as in Speech stuff goes.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#5 2007-09-18 20:38:57

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

hakjoon wrote:

FYI Immerse are the same guys who started Etomite, which went commercial spawning MODx. So their track record is not great as far as Free as in Speech stuff goes.

Sounds about right. Also explains the many similarities in features between the two platforms.

#6 2007-09-18 22:45:59

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

thanks for the info guys. i’ll have a look at modx a little more. i tried out the demo a while ago and the way the admin area is set up seems to make no sense to me. but we’ll see..

#7 2007-09-18 23:15:23

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

iblastoff wrote:

thanks for the info guys. i’ll have a look at modx a little more. i tried out the demo a while ago and the way the admin area is set up seems to make no sense to me. but we’ll see..

Last time I heard, the admin interface is also due for a full overhaul Real Soon Now. It’ll be a positive change, but it’s just another example of how the whole system is still in a state of flux. Way to unsteady for my taste, and I wouldn’t want to foist that on a client for sure.

Still, MODx is definitely a CMS to watch. Once things settle down, it could have a lot to offer. Good luck with your investigations. :-)

#8 2007-11-22 03:22:05

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

well..not that anyone really cares around these parts, but it looks like the immerse developer took their webpage down and vanished! apparently taking all of the design layout, graphics, coding etc etc provided by another developer with him and peeving off many others. glad i didn’t invest any more time into that project!

http://www.deanclinton.co.uk/2007/11/09/as-another-cms-ceases-to-exist-it-makes-me-wonder/

#9 2007-11-22 05:00:06

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

Thanks for the update. Things like that are why, for CMS software, I tend to stick with either open source or established commercial products.

Board footer