Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2007-09-21 22:12:28

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

Re: glz_custom_fields

mrdale wrote:

While it’s now available free, I’d suggest a donation of some kind, if this plugin is anywhere as useful to you as it is to me. It will encourage future development.

I’m selfish. There are a bunch of 2.0 features I could use sooner than later. :)

i’ve already donated but where is it available for free? i don’t see it anywhere (gerhards blog, textpattern.org, in this thread)

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-09-21 22:12:49)

#26 2007-09-23 00:51:06

rsilletti

Gerhard
I’ve noticed that you check for the presence of jQuery and use it several times, but at no point do I see you actively call the script. Is jQuery included and available by default to plugins on the admin side?

#27 2007-09-23 01:17:31

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

rsilletti wrote:

Gerhard
I’ve noticed that you check for the presence of jQuery and use it several times, but at no point do I see you actively call the script. Is jQuery included and available by default to plugins on the admin side?

jquery has been included with txp since the release of 4.0.5

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-09-23 01:18:15)

#28 2007-09-23 01:33:36

rsilletti

Nice to know – thanks.

#29 2007-09-25 11:11:53

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

hey gerhard, not a huge deal but perhaps adding an error check for attempting to add duplicate values?
aka if you choose radio, and attempt to use values : “test, test, test” on separate lines, it spits this message out at the top:

Warning: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘(‘custom_3_set’,‘test’)’ at line 4 INSERT INTO `custom_fields` (`name`,`value`) VALUES (‘custom_3_set’,‘test’)(‘custom_3_set’,‘test’) in /mnt/w1010/d31/s24/b02b5cfd/www/bumblesea.com/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php on line 84

seems rare anyone would attempt to use same values (even by mistake) but nevertheless!

#30 2007-09-25 12:19:54

kevinmcdougall

I’m wondering if there is a way to use this (or any other plugin) to sort by custom field, when that custom field contains a date?

I intended on using zem_event, but ran into some problems when attempting to create a navigable list of event categories and display events in category context.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#31 2007-09-26 14:07:13

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Hi guys!

Sorry for the long absence, things have been hectic at best.

Your response has been fantastic guys, keep it up! My first free weekend will be used to put together v1.0, v1.1 following shortly thereafter.

Now to reply to your questions and comments:

marios wrote:

Custom field names on this install are mostly IA specific, and don’t give the User a clue, which custom_fields have to be populated, and with which data, if there is not a detailed custom made client manual.

Marios, this will be present in v1.1.

Can be done in greek as well. Let me know, in which format, way.

Cheers Marios! Will send you an e-mail when the help for v1.0 will be finished.

gerhard01 wrote:

I could help out with a German translation.

Great! You’re on the list ; )

Logoleptic wrote:

Gerhard, you might want to be more specific in your original post about exactly how people can go about paying you for this miraculous plugin. ;-)

I’ve updated the starting post, it should be easier now : ).

milosevic wrote:

Good work, nice plugin! If you need spanish translation, I can do it.

Great, you’re on the list!

Rigel wrote:

how I can obtain the value of checbox that comprises of custom_1_set. For example, if custom Set has 4 checkbox and is 2 checked, how I obtain the value of each one separately?

This is something that I wasn’t quiet sure how to implement for v1.0 BETA. After thinking about it, the only way is to have all standard TXP tags that deal with custom fields re-written. This will be present in v1.0 and will be used like this: <txp:glz_custom_field name="FieldName" />. You can use the standard functions right now (e.g. <txp:custom_field name="FieldName" /> although multiple values (like checkboxes) will display like this: value 1|value 2. TXP manual entry for custom_field

How it is used the tag conditional for custom fields for custom set of checkbox?

Same as per the manual entry Rigel: if_custom_field. Custom fields over 10 might not work, this will be sorted in v1.0.

redbot wrote:

1) to list the values for a given field in the same order in which they are entered by the user in the extensions tab (now they are sorted alphabetically)

This might be tricky because most people will want the values sorted in some way. Regardless what list you’re using, having it sorted alphabetically makes it really easy to find values in it. Short lists are OK, but imagine longer lists (like state names, publications etc.). Convetions seem to have the upper hand here.

2) when a field has only one checkbox, avoid putting the name of the only possible value next to the checkbox. Now it looks a little redundant because the name of the field is already describing the meaning of the checkbox.

What you’re saying makes sense, but, again, conventions. Let me give you an example. If you have a custom field named “Active” that has a single checkbox, use a value like “yes” rather than “active”. Maybe a radio would be better in this situation (yes/no) – value consistency.

3) If I press the submit button without making a choice, in some cases I expect to receive a warning like “please choose a search criteria”, not to have a list of hundreds of items ordered alphabetically

Makes a lot of sense. There will be an alert if no search criterion has been selected. Available from v1.0.

maniqui wrote:

Just chime in to suggest that would be great if any translation effort is also made MLP compatible.

Yes maniqui, I will look into that mate ; ).

the_ghost wrote:

Hm… I’m guessing – is it free? $)

The hack is :)

mrdale wrote:

There are a bunch of 2.0 features I could use sooner than later. :)

I know you do mate and I’m really thinking about taking this plugin further, but right now it’s just impossible. There are quiet a few more things that need to happen before v2.0 (see the feature list), and although v2.0 will give me a great kick from coding it, I have more burning issues right now, sorry : (.

iblasoft wrote:

i’ve already donated but where is it available for free? i don’t see it anywhere (gerhards blog, textpattern.org, in this thread)

No mate, it’s definitely NOT free. Only the guys behind TXP (the mighty 10) received it for free, that’s it.

hey gerhard, not a huge deal but perhaps adding an error check for attempting to add duplicate values?

This will be sorted for v1.1 along with adding new custom field values from the Write tab.

kevinmcdougall wrote:

I’m wondering if there is a way to use this (or any other plugin) to sort by custom field, when that custom field contains a date?

Yes Kevin, <txp:article /> and <txp:article_custom /> accept a sort attribute which can be used on custom fields as well. Check the TXP manual

#32 2007-09-27 09:45:30

kevinmcdougall

Hi Gerhard,

Thanks for replying,

I’m familiar with the <txp:article /> and <txp:article_custom /> tags, and often use custom fields, but my question is focused on entering date values in the custom field. Are you saying that TXP will recognise date values in a custom field, and sort the articles accordingly?

#33 2007-09-27 17:02:51

mrdale
Website

Thanks gerhard.

I wasn’t bugging you to get cracking on the 2.0 features. More to encourage people to give so overwhelmingly generously that you would quit your day job to devote all your time to this plugin… then do the 2.0 features. LOL.

I know. We’re all busy, and I do appreciate this excellent plugin as-is. :)

#34 2007-09-29 14:41:22

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

@kevinmcdougall: it’s a plain SQLORDER BY”, it should work just fine for what you need. You can only give it a go and see if you’re getting consistent results.

@mrdale: I don’t think I would like to quit my day job – it got quiet interesting lately and is set to become even more so (I’m stroking kittens the whole day if you wonder).

This plugin will keep improving, just need to sort out some loose ends before I get back coding.

Having mentioned kittens, there are some pretty interesting ideas behind them, and if I could only be Hiro (or Peter : )), we would already be at version 3.0 : ).

#35 2007-09-29 14:59:10

redbot
Plugin Author

Hi Gerhard,
just another request (the last one, I promise): the <txp:glz_custom_fields_search_form /> tag allows only select input so far.
Will it be possible to use other type of search forms in the next version of the plugin?
You seem to suggest so in the plugin help… and I think this would be very useful indeed.
Cheers

#36 2007-09-29 23:28:35

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

If the tooltips/help feature of 1.1 is available soon, I may have use for this in an upcoming project (assuming I land the project, of course). This is a great plugin!

A question about 2.0: You’re talking about separating the features of this plugin from the existing custom fields feature, much as rss_unlimited_categories is separated from the built-in category features. What impact will this have on all of the built-in tags that use custom fields? I’m thinking in particular of sorting by custom fields, since creating your own conditional tag to replace <txp:if_custom_field> wouldn’t be that tough. Would we need to use asy_wondertag for sorting? What about the ability of <txp:article_custom /> to narrow its output by custom field value?

Also, have you considered contributing any of this to Crockery? I don’t expect that branch to hit public release until the night before forever, so you’d still have plenty of time to rake in plugin donations. ;-)

Board footer