Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-09-11 17:20:05

Neko

[contrib] Featured Sites and TXP designers

I was wondering what happened to these two side-projects. I was really looking forward to them but it seems things are being pretty quiet on both sides. Any news?

#2 2007-09-18 19:57:33

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

Re: [contrib] Featured Sites and TXP designers

It’s not official, but there is a Textpattern gallery site now.

#3 2007-09-18 21:31:43

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

http://textpattern.com/featured

either no one is updating it or no one is submitting their site to be featured. rather doubtful its the latter seeing as non-‘official’ sites like welovetxp.com and cmsshowcase.com seem to fill up with no problems. is the above link just hard to find or something? if no one is updating it, i’d gladly volunteer (or if there are any similar volunteer ‘roles’ needing to be filled, let me know)

as for TXP designers, i remember signing up for it a while ago but have not seen any indication that its active in any way. i just checked the google group and it has near 200 members. but there isnt a single post/discussion?

as a sidenote, the developers weblog should probably be updated a bit more often, yes? i know the devs are obviously pouring tons of time into 4.0.x fixes and crockery, but it’d be nice to have a little summary here and there about whats actually going on without having to look at svn/trac check-ins or see them throughout random areas of the forum.

its just odd to see links from the main txp homepage going to sites like txpmag.com which hasnt been updated in 4-5 months (and with the mention of a ton of books over there, it doesn’t even include “Textpattern Solutions” :( ). this obviously isn’t a developers concern and no one can force anyone to update their own work that exists purely out of voluntary contribution but still…i’d be happy to take over any similar projects the original authors may or may not have abandoned due to time constraints, varying interest levels etc etc.

we all know textpattern is bustling with life (for example the recent releases of some amazing plugins like glz_custom_fields and monumental works-in-progress like textcommerce. maybe things like these should be mentioned in the dev weblog?) so what would be some ideas to show others whats going on without having to check the forums?

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-09-18 22:04:32)

#4 2007-09-20 12:14:49

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

either no one is updating it…

http://textpattern.com/weblog/282/featured-sites
http://textpattern.com/featured#suggestion

as for TXP designers…

It isn’t a discussion group. Says so right on the group’s page. I haven’t needed feedback again yet.

#5 2007-09-21 16:36:33

Neko

Mary wrote:

It isn’t a discussion group. Says so right on the group’s page. I haven’t needed feedback again yet.

Hi Mary. I was wondering if you have made any announcement yet (and I’ve messed up with the subscription option, because haven’t received anything), or it is just that the project isn’t simply ready to go live, which is fine because I know you devs are super busy. Like I said, I was just wondering. :)

Thanks.

Last edited by Neko (2007-09-21 18:56:09)

#6 2007-09-21 17:23:03

FireFusion

I’m responsible to the slow updates on Featured sites. Sorry things are just really busy at the moment.

Also I think TXP Mag is dead, the author did request I write a review for Textpattern Solutions and send it to him a while ago. I’m sure if someone else where to do this he would put it up. Perhaps someone could ask for the domain and they turn it into a multi-author blog.

If you want to see stuff done around here my suggestion is to do it yourself and ask for help once you’re making progress. Everyone is busy.

#7 2007-09-21 17:47:53

Neko

If you want to see stuff done around here my suggestion is to do it yourself and ask for help once you’re making progress. Everyone is busy.

What kind of lame response is that? You’re in charge of TXPF? The last update is 2 months + old, in all this time you have not found 30 minutes in order to publish a new site? Here’s my suggestion, instead: if you are not able to keep up with your commitments don’t even start.

Last edited by Neko (2007-09-21 18:56:53)

#8 2007-09-21 23:30:04

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

in all this time you have not found 30 minutes in order to publish a new site

Kinda messy sentense. But I think you mean “a posting a new post”, not a whole new site. Well, actually for that, one blog-post or writing takes estimate time of 5 – 10 minutes (or so are bloggers commented) ;)

Cheers!

Last edited by Gocom (2007-09-21 23:41:10)

#9 2007-09-22 08:48:23

FireFusion

You’re quite right Neko, I shouldn’t take on responsibility unless I can see it through. I’ve been working on a volunteer bases for a large non-profit for the past year and that is definitely one of the lessons we’ve learnt. Good ideas, intentions and promises are common as you like but people who will actually see them through are truly rare. We often joke that if anyone comes to us with a good idea, request or bug report they’re talking themselves into a job.

I didn’t mean to turn this topic sour with that last remark, it was targeted more at the people who complain about TXP dying then this topic in particular. But I should be talking more to myself then anyone else.

Board footer