3. » smd_slimbox

#253 2007-09-14 10:04:28

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: smd_slimbox

Simanek wrote:

If you’re interested in the thumbnail dimension bit please continue

Consider it done. The automatic way is too much hassle (and slow) so I opted for adding an option instead. smd_slimbox v0.29 adds the thumbsize option. (Please note that it requires the latest version 0.21e of smd_lib too. I enhanced the functionality this morning to help with the thumbsize feature).

The thumbsize option itself takes one or two comma-separated parameters to specify width and/or height of all your gallery thumbnails. The default is in pixels if you don’t specify units. Missing out one or the other parameter (i.e. having an “empty” parameter before or after the comma) will only set one of the dimensions.

Using only one value, both width and height will be set to the same value. The docs give examples.

So validation against XHTML should now be within reach. Let me know if it hits the spot or I can enhance it further.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#254 2007-09-14 10:50:37

decoderltd
Website

Hi Stef,

Thanks for all the hard work you’re putting into supporting smd_slimbox.

As there have been a couple of updates since I last checked, I just wanted to see if it was possible yet to automatically organise images by sub-category (from a single parent category), but split by their headings on a page – like so…. That way I wouldn’t need to add a new tag everytime a new sub-category is added as content is added by non-webby people too. I can get images to appear by sub-category, but they all display together in one grid.

Thanks.

#255 2007-09-14 12:16:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

decoderltd wrote:

wanted to see if it was possible yet to automatically organise images by sub-category (from a single parent category), but split by their headings on a page

Sorry not yet. It requires some big changes and some significant brainpower so I slated it for the 0.3 revision. All the recent updates have been bug fixes or simple feature/option add-ons.

Rules to allow arbitrary splitting / grouping of thumbnails like you need is definitely something I want to do. It’s the missing piece of the puzzle that also allows me to make the thumbnail-generation side more generic from the display side and allow me to split the functionality to offer bolt-on modules for slideshows / moonbox / popups and the like.

Whenever I get a spare half hour I experiment some more to refine the process, but it really requires a consolidated sit-down-and-hammer-it-out session. Of course, I always get dragged off to do other stuff. A frustrating (for you and me!) side-effect of multi-skilling :-\

I think most of the options that can be added to this branch are probably already added (he says…) so there shouldn’t be much impediment to me really getting to grips with v0.3. It’s just time, really. I spent the last few days on smd_random_banner to make it video/flash-aware because it was sorely needed for a site I’m working on here (pays the bills!) but it’s not wasted effort because I can transfer some code ideas to slimbox.

I know I’ve promised it before and so far come up empty; sorry for that. I will endeavour to spend some more time on it in the upcoming weeks; it’s just that mixing my latest album is taking over at the moment.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#256 2007-09-14 12:43:56

Simanek
Website

Bloke wrote: Consider it done. The automatic way is too much hassle (and slow) so I opted for adding an option instead.

Of course, since generally every thumbnail would be the same, this is a very simple and elegant solution. Nicely done! Thank you!

#257 2007-09-18 12:00:19

lee

Hey Stef, I’m getting Badly formed or empty plugin code, when installing smd_slimbox_v0.29.txt on TxP 4.05.

#258 2007-09-18 12:11:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

lee wrote:

I’m getting Badly formed or empty plugin code, when installing smd_slimbox_v0.29.txt on TxP 4.05.

Weird, I’m not. Try the direct link to the .txt file in case there’s something wrong with the one in the zip file.

Isn’t that error often to do with the plugin being too big? I thought the file limit was 100kB for plugins… or is it 64kB? In which case I’m perilously close to the max. Maybe I should leave the help out and just include it as a separate file in the archive. Or as online docs.

#259 2007-09-18 12:13:29

lee

Same problem.

#260 2007-09-18 13:00:48

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

lee wrote:

Same problem.

No idea then. Perhaps try the version I just made without the help text in it? In case it’s a size issue.

#261 2007-09-18 13:10:55

lee

That did the trick, thanks for your help Stef.

#262 2007-09-18 13:29:33

decoderltd
Website

Bloke wrote:
Rules to allow arbitrary splitting / grouping of thumbnails like you need is definitely something I want to do. It’s the missing piece of the puzzle that also allows me to make the thumbnail-generation side more generic from the display side and allow me to split the functionality to offer bolt-on modules for slideshows / moonbox / popups and the like.

Thanks Stef, looking forward to that.

#263 2007-09-19 09:35:29

DrRogg
Website

Great plugin, I’m using php to grab an image ID from a custom field and send it straight to Slimbox. But whenever I close an image window a huuuuge blank space gets added onto the bottom of the page… Any ideas why?

#264 2007-09-19 18:33:10

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

DrRogg wrote:

I’m using php to grab an image ID from a custom field and send it straight to Slimbox.

I assume you have a good reason to do it that way rather than using slimbox in a form with imageid="?custom_field_name"

whenever I close an image window a huuuuge blank space gets added onto the bottom of the page…

Strange. I’ve only ever seen big blank spaces appear when you click an image thumbnail and the page cannot find the slimbox.css file. But in those instances (from memory) you also don’t get the image floating over the rest of the page; since you say this occurs when you close the image window I don’t think it applies in this case.

Can you post a page URL I can look at? Or some relevant code from your site? That might give me a clue.

Last edited by Bloke (2007-09-19 18:34:16)

1. Index
  2. » Plugin support
  3. » smd_slimbox

Board footer