Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-05-10 14:55:12

Locutionist
Website

[contrib] Would this be useful to anyone?

I’ve been using Textpattern for a while. I’ve found that on the documentation side, most of the info I’m looking for exists somewhere, but I have a hard time tracking it down because it’s split up across various websites and such.

So, I’d like to make a contribution to the Txp effort: one single page that collects links to all the documentation articles across all the websites, broken down by category. So, for example, the “Section” subhead on the page would have links to the wiki page, to Destry’s articles, to a few of the excellent “section” explanations/discussions that have cropped up in the forum, to the “Sections v. Categories” FAQ article, to the “Sections” archive at Textpattern.org, and to whatever else is relevant.

Would this be helpful to anyone except me? Or is there already a page like this somewhere that I’ve overlooked?

Thanks,
-Paula

#2 2007-05-10 15:29:18

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: [contrib] Would this be useful to anyone?

TxPlanet goes part way in that direction. The Txp Network Links at the top of the forum collect the links to the main resources.

One of the problems of selecting particular articles is that your questions shift as you become more skilled in things txp.

Last edited by jakob (2007-05-10 15:30:05)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2007-05-10 18:40:35

els

jacob, I don’t think that’s what Paula wants to do. Paula, you are talking about some kind of index across all TXP sites aren’t you? If so, I think it could be very useful, BUT: do you realize that this, when done thoroughly, will be a never ending project? Wiki, FAQ and this forum are continuously growing, and even though the basic functions will stay, new features are still being added with every release, which could make previous documentation outdated or superfluous. If it’s your intention to just categorize the things you have used yourself so far and then stop, that is nice but it will be outdated soon.
So I think it’s a great offer, but I’m not quite sure how it would work out.

#4 2007-05-11 02:54:33

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

There exists the beginnings of this in the WIKI and/or resources site. Go ahead and update it/them. :)

#5 2007-05-11 13:24:55

Locutionist
Website

Els > yes, i was picturing an indexing project as a solution to what strikes me as a navigation issue. Audience would have been end-users only, especially newbies, which would limit the scope… I would be happy to maintain an index like that over time, if people are going to use it. But it doesn’t sound like many people would.

Mary > I may just take you up on that. I’ve been hesitant to dive in because I’m unsure of the status of various wiki pages (some seem to come and go) but I have come across blog articles and such that would probably work as contributions to those pages.

FWIW to whomever, I have some formal training in usability and in documentation project management, and in tech writing generally. I would be very interested in contributing on the documentation side in some capacity — I don’t have money to give, but I do have some time and I would like to give back something. Is there a list of documentation projects that need help or something similar?

Board footer