Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2007-03-11 06:26:41

Vitruvius
Plugin Author

Re: aro_slideshow v2

I have been trying to get this plugin to work for a number of hours and am having no joy.

All I get is the first image inside the div and that is that.

Firebug (in firefox) is telling me that “$E is not defined…” in slideshow.js (line 2).

I am using smd_slimbox – and it is working fine.

I have tried disabling smd_slimbox.

I have tried using uncompressed versions of mootools.js and slideshow.js.

Not sure what else to do – any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks

SH

Last edited by Vitruvius (2007-03-11 06:27:18)

#26 2007-03-11 23:46:47

Vitruvius
Plugin Author

Stet the above message – I did get it working. It turns out it was a problem with a compressed version of slideshow.js. When I used the uncompressed version of slideshow.js with the compressed version of mootools.js – it did work.

It will be great when/if they are incorporated in smd_lib :)

Just for interest, I’m using the plugin in a slightly different way – to display rotating logos on this page (bottom right)

Thank you again for this great plugin :)

SH

Last edited by Vitruvius (2007-03-11 23:47:21)

#27 2007-03-12 18:08:50

lee

I tried using the HTML a tag in an image caption and the slideshow stopped sliding (show=“caption” is set) – it just displayed the first image without a caption. I’m not really sure if slideshow is supposed to do this or not of if there is a proper way to have clickable captions. Cheers, Lee

#28 2007-03-12 18:22:07

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

lee wrote:

I tried using the HTML a tag in an image caption and the slideshow stopped sliding (show=“caption” is set) – it just displayed the first image without a caption. I’m not really sure if slideshow is supposed to do this or not of if there is a proper way to have clickable captions. Cheers,

Yes, just make sure the quotes in your html are single-quotes so they don’s conflict with the javascript itself:

<a href='http://link.to.somewhere' title='click this'>Check this out</a>

If that makes sense. Actually I have made this fix (automatic quote escaping) in the latest version of the plugin I have locally. Hopefully I can update the available version soon…

Travel Atlas * Org | Start Somewhere

#29 2007-03-12 19:49:25

lee

Thanks, that fixed it.

#30 2007-03-17 07:00:57

jgdobbins

Aeron, I made a few puzzled and feeble attempts to adapt version 2 to my site and suddenly, in a flash of inspiration, inserted a custom_field, then a simple txp:if_custom_field call in the default form, and with the <aro_slideshow… script in the article’s newly assigned cutom field, VOILA!!! It Works!…BEAUTIFULLY MAN…IT’s Wonderful!!! Many thanks for this new version. It is fantastic. You can see mine in action here:

www.n4mdesign.com/

Hats off to you amigo, you do great work and ‘empower the people’! Saludos

#31 2007-03-24 18:59:41

simplexity

We installed it here and I’m really happy with it, but wanted to see if we could “push it” by making the slideshow-window resize to the screen size. For example, its currently set to “height: 332, width: 750” which is a safe size for most visitors. But it would be awesome if the slideshow-window could be taller and/or wider to fill the browser-window better. Since images can be resized, maybe it could also scale appropriately. Any tips on how to do this with current slideshow script or mods would be appreciated, but it may be that it can’t do this out of the box. By the way, this site will be moved over to the main website when we’re ready, which is here

#32 2007-03-26 14:53:32

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

simplexity wrote:

We installed it here and I’m really happy with it, but wanted to see if we could “push it” by making the slideshow-window resize to the screen size. For example, its currently set to “height: 332, width: 750” which is a safe size for most visitors. But it would be awesome if the slideshow-window could be taller and/or wider to fill the browser-window better.

I guess you would need to decide if you wanted to resize the slideshow based on the user’s screen size or browser size? For example, if their monitor was set to 1024 × 768, but their browser was open in a window < 800 × 600 what size should the slideshow be? I’m not going to have a chance to give you a complete and tested solution, but I can tell you how to do this using the slideshow’s callback feature – assuming that you can figure out what size the slideshow needs to be (here’s some info about checking the user’s screen or browser – for which mootools also has a window module – although it is not compiled in the version of mootools.js available from the slideshow site).

Anyway, say you have a javascript function to return the desired width called myWidth(); and another to return the desired height myHeight();. Your textpattern call, using callback, could be this:

<txp:aro_slideshow type="pan" resize="false" imageid="1, 2, 3" height="332" width="750" callback="myShow.props.width = myWidth(); myShow.props.height = myHeight(); myShow.start();" />

Which, hopefully, would re-assign your default height and width variables and restart the show when the window loads. Just make sure that you aren’t hard-coding or overriding the height and width in the CSS for the show. Actually I will be curious if this works – let us know!! :D

#33 2007-03-26 15:55:18

mrdale
Website

>rloaderro

I know I should behave myslef and wait for the next update, but in the interum, could you tell me how to hack this plugin to allow both alt-text and caption at the same time?

Thanks again…

Last edited by mrdale (2007-03-26 15:55:50)

#34 2007-03-26 16:13:21

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

mrdale wrote:

>I know I should behave myslef and wait for the next update, but in the interum, could you tell me how to hack this plugin to allow both alt-text and caption at the same time?

In the plugin, find the 2 lines at the bottom that look like this:

if ($show == 'alt') $captions[] = '"'.$row['alt'].'"';
elseif ($show == 'caption') $captions[] = '"'.$row['caption'].'"';

Replace with 1 line:

if (!empty($show)) { $captions[] = '"'.str_replace('"', '&quot;', str_replace('%caption%', $row['caption'], str_replace('%alt%', $row['alt'], $show))).'"'; }

Then instead of using show="alt" or show="caption" you can use show="<strong>%alt%</strong><br />%caption%" which will replace any instance of %alt% with the alt text and %caption% with the caption text, formatted within the HTML you specify (remember that the caption already appears within a <p> tag). Anyway, that is taken right out the of the next version, so if you use this hack it will be future-compatible with v2.0.2 when it is released. Good luck!

Last edited by rloaderro (2007-03-26 16:14:02)

#35 2007-03-26 16:16:43

mrdale
Website

wow, that was fast… Thanks.

#36 2007-03-31 05:43:34

dobidolots

Aeron, would there be a way to allow visitors to pause a slideshow? I looked through all the current features and find methods to select individual images from thumbs or to move forward or backward with arrows, but no pause button. Did I miss it or is it simply ‘out-of-scope’ for this version?

Board footer