Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#157 2007-03-22 17:17:29

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

sanmarco wrote:

i think i just spoiled the whole thing. I looged out from textpattern admin because of this error. Thyan i try to login but now only the same error message appear. Even i cant enter anymore the adim section to disable the |10 pulgin. Looks like that all is gone.

If you access your installation via phpMyAdmin as Marios suggests then go to the txp_plugin table, locate the l10n row and either delete it or set the status field to ‘0’ (zero) if it isn’t already — that should get you back in if the MLP pack was the problem.

Steve

#158 2007-03-22 17:36:20

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

All

Whilst away I’ve been thinking of dropping support for installations with any MySQL version prior to 4.1

Version 4,1 was the first that included utf-8 and collations.

You may know that 4.1 and below are now deprecated and the installation packages are hard to come-by and the 3.4/4.0/4,1 manuals have been merged into a single document — which makes working with these older versions a little more difficult now.

However, before I disappeared I tried to get a local development/testing envirnoment for MySQL 4.0 together. As I only have a single machine running Ubuntu 6.06/WinXP I tried using VMWare server and some of the exisiting virtual machines from the VMWare website (found some very useful ones as I was doing it — but that’s another story) but getting a working, writable, MySQL 4,0.x environment eluded me.

I really don’t want to put more time into this aspect of testing/developing the MLP Pack but would like to concetrate on getting a stable v1,0 that runs on PHP4/PHP5 (Apache Modules); MySQL 4.1+ as soon as possible.

I understand this might not be a popular idea for some. Your thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Steve

#159 2007-03-22 17:39:44

FireFusion

I say go for it. I’m just hoping we will find a fix for the PHP 5.2.1 “blank write tab” problems

#160 2007-03-22 18:20:23

maniqui
Website

Mmmm…

I’m right now developing a site in a MySQL 4.0.x enviroment.
Steve, I’m with you in the idea of dropping developement for old deprecated versions so I will try to see if there is a change to upgrade to MySQL 4.1+.

In the meanwhile, I help you to play catch-up with my post.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#161 2007-03-22 18:24:20

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Steve wrote

dropping support for installations with any MySQL version prior to 4.1

Agree, I’ve seen it anounced as well from the sql Site. It makes more sense to concentrate on forwards-compatibility in regards towards 4.1.x branch of TXP source code.
And if local hosting companies are not willing to upgrade their Servers to minimal standards in this regard, then it makes more sense, to consult prospective clients to choose from appropriate EU/US hosting offers, that are up to date.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-03-22 18:31:17)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#162 2007-03-22 19:53:35

ultramega

marios – you were right: deleting articles with MLP-way works for me too. Great!

Could you guys tell me the line needed to drop those existing ghost-stories from my database, (I have rss_admin_db_manager installed)? I wouldn’t mind to leave them there (some lorem ipsum and other fun stuff…) :)

#163 2007-03-22 20:16:12

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

maniqui

Thanks for the pointer. My comments below…

Hi steve.
I’ve been playing a bit with this incredible plug-in and I think I’ve found a bug. Not sure if it has been already reported because I didn’t read through the 15 pages.

<snip>

One workaround is: first , to translate all the plug-in strings to en-us/es-es/de-de and then, after that, it seems to be safe to delete the en-gb renditions. But be careful, because when you delete a plug-in rendition for one language, that language is deleted for all the available MLP-compatible plug-ins (there is a modal that prompts telling that, so, it’s normal behaviour and not a bug).

Yes, that was the idea but you’re right, it can go horribly wrong if you delete the en-gb before all the strings are translated.

So, as a summary: if there is a list of plug-in strings that are just translated to a language (usually, en-gb) that isn’t being used in the admin/public side (and so, you are allowed to delete its renditions) and you haven’t yet translated them to any other installed language, then, if you delete the en-gb renditions, you loose all the strings (= all the strings that hasn’t been translated) and so, you are no longer able to translate them to any other installed languages.

I hope I have explained the problem. Excuse my english!

No problem, it’s perfectly understandable. What I can do is add a check to the code so that the tempting ‘delete’ button doesn’t show if deleting the plugins’ strings in that language would totally remove any of the strings — but it will be a low priority item compared to FireFusion’s problem.

Last edited by net-carver (2007-03-22 20:33:21)

Steve

#164 2007-03-22 20:19:27

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

ultramega

If you have access to phpMyAdmin then you can use that to delete your ‘ghost’ rows from the l10n_txp_ table(s). That should work fine if there are just a few rows that need cutting out.

Steve

#165 2007-03-22 20:32:44

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

ultramega wrote:

How about this: If I delete an article, it stays visible, no matter how hard I hit browsers’ cache controls. Article doesn’t even exist, if trusting renditions list. But keeps showing. If I de-activate MLP, article is not visible anymore on front-end. If I re-activate, here we are again! If I change it’s status to draft, it disappears, as expected. Any solutions, or have others been seeing this kind of behaviouring?

Can you let me know…

1. what version of MLP you’re running?
  2. did you use the MLP > artcles tab to produce that probem or the ‘select & delete’ method on the content > renditions page?

Steve

#166 2007-03-22 20:57:33

ultramega

I’m using version: 0.6.600

When deleting via renditions, it leaves those ghosts, but when I delete from MLP- articles, works right. I don’t know is that mentioned in manual, maybe I just haven’t read it properly.

But how about this from my earlier post:

After editing and saving existing article, this can be found at the end of edit page:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: retitle_article() in /www/customers/mydomain/public_html/textpattern/lib/l10n_admin.php on line 680

And there can not be seen usual “go-drop down menu”, “Textpattern version number”, “logged in user” and “logout” things. So it leaves whole end of the page off.

Last edited by ultramega (2007-03-22 20:59:20)

#167 2007-03-22 21:10:39

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Bloke wrote:

P.S. still got that strange Firefox hanging issue. It’s not just rev 602; happens in the previous version too but I didn’t notice it when I first installed it, so something must be interfering. I disabled all my add-ons in case it was those, but it still prevails. If it’s a plugin clash, I can’t figure out why it would only affect Firefox and not IE or Opera… strange.

When I was working on the snippet > search tab I found that the firebug FF extension broke it because I had it setup to intercept and display XMLHttp data. It confused me for a while as those pages worked in other browsers! Once I found realised what it was, a few tweaks of the FireBug config options sorted it out. I doubt that is your problem however :(

—Scrub that— I just read your post about it going away. Ah well, I know you’ll shout if it comes back!

marios wrote:

I don’t know if this is an Issue yet, but the Author URL’s don’t have the lang URL part appended, eg.:
I have something like this: http://example1.dev/autor/marios+buttner/

Thanks Marios, I see that there are some embedded ‘+’ characters — which is why it’s not inserting the language component. Will fix that.

marios also wrote:

The setup procudere runs down the items with success again as above, and the basic URL behavior seems to work fine from the front end except, that the lang URL part is missing on the permlink URL in this case.

Yes, that’s the sub-directory installation problem and it was what I was working on when I disappeared. Will continue with that and all should be well for sub-directory installs then. BTW, this subdir problem also manifests itself with form submissions — which don’t work properly.

One possible usefull addition to the UI in the renditions tab, would be to add an extra column that specifically indicates the language, of a rendition may be with some small flags or something. (That would prevents Power Users from mistakenly remove the wrong lang rendition for a specific article)

If you set the list to high detail mode then each rendition should already be marked up with the language. I wouldn’t want to include a language icon by default as it’s pretty user-specific and flags don’t map one-to-one to languages. The Malaysian flag, for example, could map to Malay, English, Tamil and about 70 other tribal languages. Similarly, Greek doesn’t just map to a single country.

However, a compromise might be for me to add the language marker as a CSS class to the language name — then users can update their local TxP css file to add in any image they want (you can already do this on the public interface). Shout if you want that adding to the to-do list.

Steve

#168 2007-03-22 21:27:21

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

ultramega wrote:

I’m using version: 0.6.600. When deleting via renditions, it leaves those ghosts, but when I delete from MLP- articles, works right. I don’t know is that mentioned in manual, maybe I just haven’t read it properly.

Thanks for the info, that it not the correct behaviour (see below…)

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: retitle_article() in /www/customers/mydomain/public_html/textpattern/lib/l10n_admin.php on line 680

Ok, this just might be a problem with your l10n_admin_classes.php file.

Can you open up that file in a text editor and go down to about line 476. If you don’t see a function round about there called retitle_article then you are using an old version of that file and will need to update it from the zip.

Let me know how it goes.

Steve

Board footer