kellner
Website

Re: Articles by Category

belated thanks for this great plugin!

#14 2004-05-07 18:42:13

ninjadelanuit

Hi everybody :)
I’m trying to use this wonderfull plugin to make a multiple level menu, using css and a bit of javascript (DOM) to make the job…
I’ve found some really interessant article about that like this one :
http://www.csscreator.com/menu/multimenu.php
My problem is that the structure of the nested list produced by the plugin has a little problem.
For example this the list like I obtain it with the plugin, using parented categories, etc… :
<ul> <li>About <ul> <li>test</li> </ul> <ul> <li>text2 <ul> <li>First Post</li> <li>test2</li> </ul> </li> </ul> </li> <li>Home</li>
</ul>
This list is great, but when I apply the script and the css, all is ok with Firefox but not this IE6, the “test” button doesn’t appear !
With this list it appear :
<ul> <li>About <ul> <li>test</li> <li>text2 <ul> <li>First Post</li> <li>test2</li> </ul> </li> </ul> </li> <li>Home</li>
</ul>
My problem is that I’ve played with the plugin code again and again but I can’t achieve to produce the list like I want. HELP !
I think that it could be great to have this sort of menu, with a simple and validated code…

#15 2004-05-14 18:37:16

Matt
Website

Does this only display articles from the current section?

#16 2004-05-14 18:47:59

jason
Website

for the “normal” displaying of articles by category, you can display it by section as long as the section doesn’t appear on the front page.

so domain.com/?c=food is different from domain.com/stuff/?c=food

I’ve put <txp:dca_articles_by_category /> on it’s own page, in it’s own section (like a category/site map) and now that I look at it, it only displays articles from sections that appear on the front page. and if I put it in a section that doesn’t appear on the front page, then it still only outputs a categorized list of articles that do appear on the front page.

#17 2004-05-14 19:00:55

Matt
Website

I’m doing the same thing- I put the plugin tag on a page that is the only page in its section: “Contents,” in this case. But the result is just a list of categories with no articles.

Stumped.

#18 2004-05-14 19:28:46

jason
Website

try hitting refresh a couple of times.

do the other sections appear on the front page?

#19 2004-05-14 19:37:23

Matt
Website

Yep- every article is in a section called “Articles,” which appears on the front page.

Here’s the page in question- right now I have an article_custom list that spews the articles in reverse chronological order under my malfunctioning dca_articles_by_category tag.

Thanks for all your help, Jason!

UPDATE: I’ve stopped trying to fix the problem for now, and my site features a separate list for each category. I’ll try again once TextDrive rolls out.

Last edited by Matt (2004-05-27 01:47:36)

#20 2004-06-03 22:59:29

santheo
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I love this plugin. I love it so much, I’m renoodling it to make it a category_tree plugin, which I need for the site I’m developing. I’ll post it to the forum if I can generalize it enough to make it useful for others.

In my noodling, I noticed a small bug. The deeper your tree goes, the more <code><ul></code>s and <code><li></code>s remain left open. There’s one simple line that you can add to the function that cleans it all up:

<code>$out .= str_repeat(‘</ul></li>’,$lastlevel-1);</code>

It goes immediately before the this line near the end:

<code>return tag($out,‘ul’);</code>

I think I tested this out enough to show that it works all situations. But if it breaks on your site, please let me know.

Loving TXP, by the way. Keep up the stupendous work, Dean. Please.

#21 2004-06-15 03:44:06

santheo
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Said category_tree plugin posted here

#22 2004-06-30 21:12:12

bluearc21
Website

Could Dean or someone post how to edit this plugin so it prints the new “URL-only title” links – and not the older article title method?

Meaning, I want to print a list of articles by category with the article “title” as the link text, but the “URL-only title” as the actual URL link.

Thanks -

“If you build it, they will come.”

#23 2004-07-01 06:02:01

pynchon

Matt, or anyone else,

How did you get it to finally work, that is show more than the category titles.

Currently, I’ve installed this plugin and have it on a page but it’s only showing a bulleted list of the categories with no article titles under them.

I’ve tried reloading the browser many times, but no go.

#24 2004-07-01 12:09:26

Matt
Website

Pynchon-
I switched from my old host to TextDrive and now it works fine. I’m afraid it might have been a server configuration problem. Is your textpattern install in a subdirectory of your server’s root folder?

Board footer