Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-31 14:12:47

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

some forum searches return no results

I recently posted for advise in the troubleshooting. Before I did that, I searched the forum for the error I was getting in txp. My search was for:
Cannot redeclare page_title
The forum search returned no results.
Sencer answered my call for help here so I thought of searching for asy_sitemap which returned a lot of results, some of which contained my exact error .

Is there something screwy with the search?

Last edited by colak (2007-01-31 14:19:09)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2007-01-31 14:50:37

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: some forum searches return no results

colak

Probably. I seem to remember the poor searching (amongst other things) in punBB being mentioned in threads by Mary and others!

Last edited by net-carver (2007-01-31 14:54:27)

Steve

#3 2007-01-31 15:39:31

els

The forum search is so wonky that I always prefer using the Google site search (though that one doesn’t return the post you mentioned either…).

#4 2007-01-31 15:45:00

colak
Admin

Hi steve
That was 6 months ago and admittedly i did miss it… I agree with Mary that there are problems with PunBB but I am yet to come by a forum software which can do exactly what I’d like it to do…
The main problem with punBB for me is the limited number of plugins for it. I guess that its architecture forces programmers to offer mods instead of plugins..
having said that I do recognise it as being a very powerful program handling an unbelievable amount of data with ease and speed.

Maybe Team txp should/could (this is not an official request:) come up with an alternative solution ForumPattern maybe?
Having been using txp for so long I trust that they will be able to come up with a better/more user friendly architecture
:)

Yiannis
——————————

#5 2007-01-31 18:41:24

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

colak,

• PunBB 1.3 will bring MySQL Full-Text Search, I’m already using it on a live forum.
  • As for plugins, there is a new extension system, similar to Textpattern’s hooks system. No more mods, just upload an extension and install it. There’s also a desktop app in the works to create extensions, can’t say more cause it’s a secret ;)

Check out what else being done at PunBB Trac page.

#6 2007-02-01 04:20:41

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Bert

thanks for the pointer. From your previous posts I get the impression you have experienced several BB and Wiki systems.

I’m about to try out several (phpBB, punBB and myBB) LAMP based systems but am a total newbie when it comes to the admin side of BBs. Any chance you could give a quick summary of your thoughts on the BB systems you’ve used (strengths and weaknesses)? Any systems to be avoided?

Many thanks,

Steve

#7 2007-02-01 14:05:38

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

net-carver wrote:

Any chance you could give a quick summary of your thoughts on the BB systems you’ve used (strengths and weaknesses)? Any systems to be avoided?

My approach to web based software is less is more

• The less code – the less chance of security related issues
  • The more sites – leaner code allows me to run more efficiently

Of the boards available, I prefer PunBB on the lean side and SMF on the give me all the bells and whistles side. PunBB is as easy to administer as the backend of the Textpattern comment system, SMF has a lot more options but the admin screens are laid out rather well.

What I’m seeing is that more and more web sites are giving users the ability to discuss stories. Ars Techinca is one such forum, powered by Eve Community. As you can see, the forum is lean, just enough to carry on a discussion, no more, no less.

Rather than trash other systems, since I feel all systems have their good points, heck we all share code. What I’ve seen of some systems is code bloat, feature creep brought on by user demands and programmers hastily adding code to keep up with system ‘X’.

I follow the WebHostingTalk forums and one of the largest hosting providers, the Site5 forums. Day in and day out I see people running into problems with forums that get popular, either their hosting plan can’t muster the horsepower and their user experience is diminished or worse, their accounts are suspended.

Now, let me throw another wrinkle, the bots, it’s a World Wide Web ;)

Last edited by hcgtv (2007-02-01 14:10:11)

#8 2007-02-01 16:31:08

colak
Admin

hcgtv wrote:

Now, let me throw another wrinkle, the bots, it’s a World Wide Web ;)

Scary!!!

Yiannis
——————————

#9 2007-02-02 05:39:55

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Bert

many thanks. Just finding my feet with BBs. I have a possible requirement for a community board coming up over the next few months so I’ve installed phpBB on Dreamhost to try it out but haven’t really done much yet. However, punBB on my localhost is looking promising. I’ll grab a copy of SMF and try running that locally too.

Mary (& others) must have done quite a lot of work integrating Textile and making other changes to get this forum setup.

Steve

#10 2007-02-02 08:08:39

colak
Admin

hi steve
there was a ‘how to’ somewhere in this forum regarding textilie in punBB… It seemed very straight forward…
The good thing with bbcode in punBB is that it checks the syntax and does not allow you to submit if there is an open tag for example. PunBB with textile can not do that… Food for thought…

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer