You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#145 2007-01-18 20:08:49

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [archived] Postmaster -- A simple email-on-post / newsletter manager

gerhard01,

There is a very easy way to do what you want, with caveats:

Use the article you’re mailing from as sort of a “launch pad,” and in your email form, use <txp:article_custom category="this_weeks_articles" form="another_form_for_these" etc />.

This works great if you’re sending HTML emails; otherwise it becomes a lot more complicated (because <txp:article_custom /> is outputting the HTML version of the articles) — but you could still do it if you made all the articles text only (with no line breaks) or maybe if you used the strip_html attribute in 0.3.

This needs more testing but when I tried it (with HTML emails) it worked great.

• Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2007-01-18 20:10:13)

#146 2007-01-23 05:59:14

dimitriko

Hi Ben,
I’m considering using this plugin for a client. His list is over 3,000 subscribers. My question is will this work..what are the limitations of your plugin? I really like the integration into textpattern and the simplicity of it, over phplist, which would probably confuse him.

Thanks,
Dimitri

#147 2007-01-23 06:35:40

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

dimitriko,

I tested Postmaster on over 1200 email addresses (not a very wide variety of domains, though). Technically, there’s no reason 3000 would be any different than 50 — Postmaster breaks up the mail into batches. But as far as I know PM hasn’t handled a list that big.

There are some bugs being worked on, so make sure you read through the latest posts in this thread (and through the Postmanual) to see if these would effect your customer.

Everyone,

What are some numbers? Has anyone mailed to a list? How big was it? Post your numbers, if you happen to read this.

#148 2007-01-23 07:16:41

dimitriko

Thanks Ben,
I’m goin for it, right now I’ve got 2766 in the db. I’ll post in a few days with the results. Hopefully, we’ll break some new ground…

#149 2007-01-23 08:16:56

kees-b
Website

benbruce wrote:

What are some numbers? Has anyone mailed to a list? How big was it? Post your numbers, if you happen to read this.

imported: 3400
sent: site is not ready yet, but I tried with smaller batches and these went out ok. Anyway this is a great tool to setup and maintain a subscribers database. I am storing all kind of (adress related) information in the 10 zemSubscriberCustom fields. I’ll let you know how the first big mailing goes out when the site is ready.

kees

Last edited by kees-b (2007-01-23 15:49:28)

#150 2007-01-23 15:40:35

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

‘cause it’s now evident that ZCR can’t send customized mail to subscribers, I have to abandon your interesting plugin.

Just to know, there are plans for supporting customized mail, or this is definitely out of your scope and should be addressed by ZCR? This thing could be of interest of other plugin too (i.e., a web-survey system plugin). Anyway, do you think this could be managed by you or should we ask for it at ZCR forum?

Thanks.

Z-

#151 2007-01-25 03:55:03

maniqui
Website

benbruce wrote:

Can you go here (a few posts back) and do me the favor of following the instructions in that post?

Ben, thanks for your answers and sorry for this late reply.

I have tried deleting everything (tables and plug-in) and re-installing from scratch.
Nothing changed.
But I have good news: I have found the problem. This plug-in doesn’t seems to work (at least, for me) with Graeme’s gbp_permanent_links plug-in

I have disabled that plug-in and tried the subscription form and the subscriber has been added to the database. I have enabled gbp_permanent_links plug-in again, tested the form and, of course, it didn’t work this second time.

I have tried wrapping the subscription form inside <txp:gbp_disable_permlinks></txp:gbp_disable_permlinks> but that didn’t make any difference at all.

Now, at this moment, while writing this post, I have found out a few things more…

Look at this three outputted forms/scenarios

1. This form/scenario didn’t work:
gbp_permanent_links enabled, pap_contact_cleaner enabled

<form method="post" class="zemContactForm" action="/">
<fieldset>
<legend>¡Suscribite!</legend>
<input type="hidden" name="zem_contact_nonce" value="db1936fcedd64c3cc040afde70c1e26b" />
<input type="hidden" name="zem_contact_form_id" value="3cbcf81a66963d0735d85b7bb701f51d" />
<label for="zemSubscriberName" class="zemRequired zemSubscriberName">Tu nombre:</label><br /><input type="text" id="zemSubscriberName" class="zemRequired" name="zemSubscriberName" value="" maxlength="100" /><br />
<label for="zemSubscriberEmail" class="zemRequired zemSubscriberEmail">Tu e-mail:</label><br /><input type="text" id="zemSubscriberEmail" class="zemRequired" name="zemSubscriberEmail" value="" maxlength="100" /><br />
<input type="hidden" name="zemSubscriberLists" value="default" />
<input type="submit" class="zemSubmit" name="zem_contact_submit" value="Enviar" />
</fieldset>
</form>

2. This form/scenario didn’t work:
gbp_permanent_links enabled, pap_contact_cleaner disabled

<fieldset>
<input type="hidden" name="zem_contact_nonce" value="2c889666305329700c338bbecceb4b37" />
<input type="hidden" name="zem_contact_form_id" value="3cbcf81a66963d0735d85b7bb701f51d" />
<label for="zemSubscriberName" class="zemRequired zemSubscriberName">Tu nombre:</label><br /><input type="text" id="zemSubscriberName" class="zemRequired" name="zemSubscriberName" value="" maxlength="100" /><br />
<label for="zemSubscriberEmail" class="zemRequired zemSubscriberEmail">Tu e-mail:</label><br /><input type="text" id="zemSubscriberEmail" class="zemRequired" name="zemSubscriberEmail" value="" maxlength="100" /><br />
<input type="submit" class="zemSubmit" name="zem_contact_submit" value="Enviar" />
</fieldset>
</form>
</div>

3. This form/scenario worked fine!:
gbp_permanent_links disabled, pap_contact_cleaner enabled

<fieldset>
<input type="hidden" name="zem_contact_nonce" value="0ec4ab58a9c52ec130ea45d727dabac1" />
<div style="visibility: hidden"><input type="text" name="phone" value="" id="phone" /><br /><input type="text" name="mail" value="" id="mail" /></div>
</fieldset>
</form>

Before continuing, take a look at form/scenario 1: both gbp_permanent_links and pap_contact_cleaner are enabled. But in the outputted form, there isn’t the code added by pap_contact_cleaner.
You may think: how is this related to Postmaster?

Well, in that scenario, as I said in my previous post, e-mail confirming subscriptions are being sent but the subscription isn’t being made into the database.
Two weird things to notice in scenario 1:

• the e-mail is being successfully sent, although pap_contact_cleaner is enabled but the “dummy” code isn’t being added.
  • again, the subscription isn’t being made into the database

Form/scenario 2 was just a test, disabling pap_contact_cleaner. It didn’t work and I have nothing important to add.

Now, in form/scenario 3, with gbp_permanent_link disabled and pap_contact_cleaner enabled, things worked as expected.

Conclusion: I don’t know what’s going on! You tell me! :D
Thanks in advance. I will be trying few more things (like totally deleting pap_contact_cleaner) to see what happens.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#152 2007-01-25 04:41:57

maniqui
Website

I have tried both deleting pap_contact_cleaner and wrapping the subscription and subscription/contact form with <txp:gbp_disable_permlinks> without success.

edit:
Finally, and also after deleting pap_contact_cleaner, I have tried disabling gbp_permanent_links plug-in and the subscription did work like a charm.

So, I may conclude that there is something between gbp_permanent_link/Postmaster (and maybe, ZCR), and seems to not be related to pap_contact_cleaner.

Last edited by maniqui (2007-01-25 04:46:19)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#153 2007-01-29 18:40:15

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui,

thanks for all of your research on this.

couple of quick thoughts:

• the confirmation email is sent by ZCR, not PM. So it sounds like the permlink plugin is working fine with ZCR, but not allowing PM to do its thing. Hm.
  • no idea why PM and Graeme’s plugin wouldn’t work together. I’ll add that to the manual.
  • Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2007-01-29 18:46:19)

#154 2007-02-05 21:08:03

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

I’m aware of the issues between gbp_permanent_links and postmaster/pap_contact_cleaner. Working on a fix.

#155 2007-02-08 14:44:26

duchamp
Website

Please, I need some help with this. I can’t make it work!

1. I’ve Textpattern 4.0.4 with zem_contact_reborn 4.0.3.17, zem_contact_lang 4.0.3.03 and pap_contact_cleaner 0.1.
  2. I installed and activated Postmaster_library 0.1 and Postmaster 0.3
  3. Modified the default user/subscriber and added 2 new subscribers (all with name, email and a list asociated)
  4. Modified the “default” list (just change the email and put the name of a form that I’m planning to use for the Newsletters, ofcourse that form exists!)
  5. Open the Write Tab, write a new post, save, and when the Lists Module appear I select the default list, select YES and save … wait a few seconds and the PopUp is launched (Please don’t close….) another few seconds and “Your mailing is complete. You may now close this window.”

Everything seems to be ok, but the mailing never arrived to any of the three subscribers (three different email accounts that I’m using daily).

What I’m doing wrong?

Just in case, my website main contact form is working good with zem_contact_reborn 4.0.3.18

… Thx in advance!

UPDATE: I’ve updated both the zem_contact_reborn 4.0.3.18 and zem_contact_lang 4.0.3.5, but nothing happends! The emails/newsletters never arrived … :(

Last edited by duchamp (2007-02-08 19:40:58)

#156 2007-02-09 17:04:18

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

duchamp,

• Is the list associated with your subscribers “default”?
  • What happens if you do the simplest version of the installation (ie, follow the instructions here) without any forms or any complexity? Does the email arrive?
  • What happens if you choose “Test” and not “Yes” on the write tab? Does the mail arrive to your admin email address?

Those are just some first thoughts at figuring out what’s wrong.

• Ben

Board footer