Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-09-23 15:04:39

RussLipton

Re: [request] Vanilla forum integration

dave —

Seems to work wonderfully – very cool. I didn’t experience any of the small, fixable errors you mention in your doc. That could be due to experimentation with a clean TxP installation.

I haven’t fooled yet with disabling user-centric password changes, though I will want to disable that.

How are you handling the current reports on the mem_self_register plugin thread about having to manually give self-registered users a privileges level subsequently because the plugin isn’t processing that?

#14 2006-09-23 16:10:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks for taking the time dave, I can learn a lot from what you’ve done.

#15 2006-09-24 15:23:29

daveh
Website

RussLipton wrote:

How are you handling the current reports on the mem_self_register plugin thread about having to manually give self-registered users a privileges level subsequently because the plugin isn’t processing that?

I think that problem was cured by the section on the guide about removing the Array() errors. You would only see the array errors if you are running the TP site in Debugging mode; but so far I haven’t had that problem on my site.

HCGTV: Bert, let me know if you need anything clarified, but please feel free to use and/or modify any of the plugins to suit your needs.

Last edited by daveh (2006-09-24 15:24:34)

—————
Dave-H

#16 2006-11-28 10:50:40

FireFusion

daveh, do I have to use the self register plugin for it to work? For my site I only want admins to be able to create users accounts.

#17 2006-11-29 17:15:59

daveh
Website

FireFusion…

As it stands the answer would be Yes, you do have to use the self_reg plugin.

Although, if someone more knowledgeable wanted to make some modifications then Yes, you would have to use the self_reg plugin! ;-)

Let me clarify…

The modified self_reg plugin is the bit that does all the work and calls the ddh_ functions to create the Vanilla user. As it stands, the self_reg is designed to be placed on an ‘external’ (public) page.

To do what you want, someone (hence ‘more knowledgeable’) could create an ‘admin side’ page that contains the self_reg form. This way it would still use the self_reg plugin but doing so would only be available to your admins.

Without actually ‘modding’ the TXP admin pages, it’s not possible to create the Vanilla user from the existing TXP user page.

I know that doesn’t really help you, sorry.

Dave

—————
Dave-H

#18 2006-12-06 15:30:09

igner
Plugin Author

it shouldn’t be necessary to use manfre’s plugin to call the updates since you’re tying directly to TXP Users. I think an admin-side plugin should be able to intercept new account creation and password changes.

assuming your plugin is set to include admin side functions, then the following (untested) code should do the trick for you…

if (@txp_interface == 'admin') {

//add callback functions to update vanilla user database
  register_callback('ddh_vanilla_users','admin');

}

function ddh_vanilla_users($event, $step) {

switch($step) {
		case "author_save":  //edit author
			//call vanilla save function
			break;
		case "author_save_new":
			//call edit function
			break;
			//and so on, a list of valid events is in include/txp_admin.php
		}
	}
}

as I said above, this is untested, but should cover most cases. Of course, as written, there’s no feedback if the vanilla functions fail, but this gets you partway there.

BTW – nice work on the integration. I’ll probably roll at least part of your modifications back into the pass_protect plugin.

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#19 2007-01-18 17:24:57

RussLipton

DaveH: A couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to use your password plugin and igner’s at the same time (I suspect not)?

2. Why did you need to make the modification – is it possible for igner’s to be customized without losing its functionality so Vanilla, Txp and ign_password_protect can co-exist on the same website?

#20 2007-01-18 18:59:05

igner
Plugin Author

1) Quite possibly. Since Dave renamed all the functions in his version, there shouldn’t be any namespace conflicts. You will end up with a couple superfluous database calls (since both pugins will do authentication on page load).

2) It’d be fairly straightforward to port the changes back to the current plugin; I’ve been toying with doing that, but haven’t had the time yet. Just glancing at Dave’s code, really all that would need to be added are the calls to his vanilla integration code, towards the beginning of my plugin and in the ign_validate function. Looks like maybe a dozen lines of code or so. And doing so would maintain support for the alternate db, so you wouldn’t necessarily need to give back-end access to users while allowing the single point for authentication.

#21 2007-01-18 19:08:03

RussLipton

Igner – thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. Of course, 2. will be wonderful if you can get to it. Otherwise, it appears I may be able to test solution 1., though it will not connect up with your password user management functions.

If I could put in a ‘plug’ (ouch) for the value of 2., I believe Vanilla is the closest architectural and development community match to Textpattern/community in the forum domain. I can imagine lots of synergies in days to come …

I would be glad to test 2 if you do a beta – whether that be sooner or later.

#22 2007-01-18 19:31:16

igner
Plugin Author

since it was only a handful of lines – the essential changes have been incorporated in this beta release

it’s completely untested as far as the vanilla integration piece (I don’t currently have a vanilla installation to test against). if the ddh_vanilla_integration plugin is present, it’ll try and do the vanilla stuff, otherwise it won’t.

also, please note that there are other changes in this release – so do look at the help (though it’s incomplete).

#23 2007-01-18 19:57:59

RussLipton

Grateful thanks! …. this may take me a few days to get to, since I am busy scoping out Postmaster as well as the standard ign_password_protect and a few other plugins/concepts but I will definitely test soon and report.

#24 2007-01-24 18:46:28

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Just a note: Try this for a simple forum solution powered by Textpattern. There are no bells and whistles, though.

• Ben

Board footer