Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-12 13:56:46

mikae1

[request] Feed customization (for photoblogs, showing article images in feeds)

I’m building a photoblog and it would be nice to have a plugin to include the article image in your rss/atom feed.

The only solution I’ve come across is this one:
http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=14388
http://textsnippets.com/tags/photoblogging

Editing rss.php and atom.php seems a little hackish. Perhaps the plugin should also make it possible to customize the feed in other ways too.

Just an idea…

Last edited by mikae1 (2007-01-12 14:33:28)

#2 2007-01-12 14:16:28

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: [request] Feed customization (for photoblogs, showing article images in feeds)

Or… You could just include an image in the excerpts field

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2007-01-12 16:43:37

akokskis
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [request] Feed customization (for photoblogs, showing article images in feeds)

I’d go with what colak says. That’s the way I’ve been managing my photoblog’s feeds. I suppose it’s not the best way to go about it, but it works, and that’s what counts, right?

My Photoblog, and my personal site. Got nav? ako_nav.
Thanks for taking the time to look…

— vc3 —

#4 2007-01-12 17:08:39

mikae1

Yes, that’s what I do no now, but I figure it isn’t as “dynamic” (in search for a better word) as a plugin solution would be.

What happens if I only want the article thumbnail to show up in the future? Do I have to go through all the posts and manually remove the img tag?

Basically, making the article image appear just by activating a plugin and then forget it would make one less thing to care about.

Perhaps it’s not the most important thing in the world, but it would certainly be convenient. If it’s easy to develop and someone else is interested I thought I should at least post it here.

#5 2007-01-13 02:12:50

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

In 4.0.4 it is possible to add stuff to the feeds via a plugin.

#6 2007-01-27 05:37:54

truist
Plugin Author
Website

tru_tags has a feature that lets you define a form (in the txp admin) that will be inserted into your feeds, for each article. It should be possible to use that to add article images to feeds, automatically. Check out Step 7 of the configuration instructions. If anyone gets it to work, I’d love to hear it :)

(I have eventual plans to break that feature out into its own plugin, but it will take a few weeks before I have time.)

Last edited by truist (2008-07-03 11:56:07)

#7 2007-05-28 09:01:08

pfctdayelise
Website

truist wrote:

tru_tags has a feature that lets you define a form (in the txp admin) that will be inserted into your feeds, for each article. It should be possible to use that to add article images to feeds, automatically. Check out Step 7 of the configuration instructions. If anyone gets it to work, I’d love to hear it :)

grooh, I have had no luck with this so far.

Last edited by pfctdayelise (2007-05-28 09:02:07)

#8 2007-05-28 14:06:09

pfctdayelise
Website

Actually my last post is a total lie. The feed works fine; it just doesn’t work in Google Reader. for unknown reasons. :/

#9 2007-05-28 15:46:23

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Do you have an example feed somewhere? I’m happy to take a look and see if it matches the spec, or not. Do you have other feeds that are able to show images in google reader? Maybe we can compare your feed to those and see what’s different.

#10 2007-05-28 16:05:55

pfctdayelise
Website

truist wrote:

Do you have an example feed somewhere? I’m happy to take a look and see if it matches the spec, or not. Do you have other feeds that are able to show images in google reader? Maybe we can compare your feed to those and see what’s different.

Sure thing. this is the feed: http://staticphotog.modernthings.org/rss/?section=article&limit=5 I found by looking at it in a text editor that it had the image, and tags, and some custom fields I wanted.

hm, now I look at Google again, it appears to show everything. :) maybe I was just impatient, and Google Reader is not instant.

here is an existing feed that works with images, if you still want to compare: http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/http%3A%2F%2Ftools.wikimedia.de%2F~daniel%2Fpotd%2Fcommons%2Fpotd-800×600.rss

BTW, using this same feed in Bloglines produces something funny. It seems to take one of my defined tags and add it to my byline. So instead of each entry saying “By Brianna” they say “By Brianna on religion” or “By Brianna on zen” or “By Brianna on hairy”. :)

while we’re talking about customising feeds… :) is there any way I can remove that byline altogether? And can I change the name of the feed? “static photog – article” doesn’t make as much sense as, say, “static photog – five newest photographs”.

thanks,
Brianna

#11 2007-05-28 16:49:03

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Hey, glad I could help! ;)

I’m guessing that BlogLines just has that as a ‘feature’ and that there’s nothing we can do on the TXP end to fix it.

I’m not sure how the name of the feed is set – probably based on the site name, as defined in the TXP admin / config.

#12 2007-07-12 21:00:54

csandberg
Plugin Author
Website

I actually wrote a plugin to automatically insert the article image (full size or thumbnail) in a feed. You can download it here.

Last edited by csandberg (2007-07-12 21:14:56)

Board footer