Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#71 2006-12-18 05:43:12

net-carver
Admin

Re: [archived] gbp_l10n - Multilingual Publishing

All

The MLP Demonstration Site is now available.

Steve
Textile | My plugins on GitHub | @netcarver

#72 2006-12-18 06:27:47

fbox

Golly, it’s up…

On behalf of the rest of your ever-grateful but ever-pushy public, 1) firstly THANKS, and 2) are you able to give us an idea of the next phase, some more advanced examples using a range of content, up-to-date admin side screenshots/walkthrough, areas you need support/feedback, release dates, methods by which we might show our financial appreciation, etc?

Judging by the progress you’ve made over the last six months with specific bits and pieces it looks like you’re pretty much almost there?

Great stuff,

– Luke

#73 2006-12-18 07:17:43

colak
Admin
Website

steve this is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beutiful work. Congrats…

this plugin SHOULD make it to the core.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | neme-imca.org | hblack.net | LABS

#74 2006-12-18 14:38:13

net-carver
Admin

Luke,

yes, we are pretty much there. A few tidy-ups here and there and some interface sanity checking with Graeme, but as far as functionality goes it’s done — at least for this version. I’ll try to do a few quick movies of the admin side interface and get them up this week or early next.

I’m pondering release method at the moment but tending towards a ransom. Will let you know.

I plan on taking a break after this, Marios was right when he said this has taken far more than 150 hours of work!

Steve

#75 2006-12-18 15:38:14

Christopher
Website

Very , very nice, and definitely worth a ransom if that’s the method you decide upon. A break would be much deserved and at the right time too :-)

#76 2006-12-18 16:42:52

colak
Admin
Website

net-carver wrote:

I plan on taking a break after this, Marios was right when he said this has taken far more than 150 hours of work!

Hi steve,
Count me in re contributing to the ransom but please please please, do provide an alternative method to paypal.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | neme-imca.org | hblack.net | LABS

#77 2006-12-19 08:50:05

net-carver
Admin

Luke (fbox)

just a follow up to your post about localising page and form content by language.

The approach I took in my reply (when expanded in detail) would go like this…

Suppose you had a form that contained <txp:image id="10"/> and you wanted to serve up a different image per visitor browse language then you could use multiple l10n_if_lang tags to serve up the correct image, like this…

<txp:l10n_if_lang lang=“en-gb”>
<txp:image id=“10”/>
</txp:l10n_if_lang>
<txp:l10n_if_lang lang=“el-rgr”>
<txp:image id=“20”/>
</txp:l10n_if_lang>
etc…

That’s very simple and follows the existing model very closely.

However, if you change your site languages it is not convenient as you then have to edit your page/form. I came up with a method I call ‘snippets’ that separates the content of the form from the renditions (translations), making things easier to extend and edit.

Snippets are simply delimited strings within pages and forms that the MLP Pack can use as indexes into TxP’s internal table of strings (just like the existing txp:text tag does.) However, unllike the text tag, the MLP Pack can take care of snippet localisation within the body of the page/form before the page/form content is parsed by TxP. This makes it possible to localise attributes to tags.

So <txp:image id="10"/> might become <txp:image id="##image_id##"/> instead of the above list of conditionals.

Then you use the snippet editor to localise the string called image_id and give it a different value for each language. This is much more compact than using the l10n_if_lang conditional tag for each language your site supports and needs no form/page edits if you decide to add a language to your site (but you would, of course, need to provide a translation for each ‘snippet’ in the new language.)

Last edited by net-carver (2006-12-19 08:53:59)

Steve

#78 2007-01-02 10:34:01

fbox

All

Hope you enjoyed/are enjoying the festive season and had a bit of a break.

Net-carver / graeme

Thanks for your previous comprehensive post, Steve.

Just looking at the localised content form used in v.0.5 (demo version) and noticing that it automatically converts ASCII to plaintext.

I use ASCII encoding as a way of hiding email addresses from spambots, and noticed that after entering ASCII into TXPs article form, it was rendered as plaintext when I opened the article under the multilingual tab. The translated text also doesn’t retain ASCII but shows it as plaintext after I apply changes. Same goes for output HTML source.

I’m using Textpattern 4.0.4 (r1956) (with hak_tinymce 0.6.3, although I don’t think that would be affecting it).

Just wondering if you’ve already come across this and made changes in the much much more developed forthcoming release?

Cheers,

– Luke

Last edited by fbox (2007-01-02 10:35:20)

#79 2007-01-06 07:11:10

net-carver
Admin

Luke

Could you post a sample for me (with a rubbish email address encoded) and I’ll check it out for you. You can contact me directly via the contact page of my site.

Edit

Fixed in dev version. Will be in the final release. Thank you.

Last edited by net-carver (2007-01-10 09:39:49)

Steve

#80 2007-01-10 09:43:39

net-carver
Admin

All

I have prepared a flash movie explaining the admin interface and some of the features of the MLP Pack. You can view the movie on the demo site

You’ll need a flash capable browser and about 23 minutes to go through it.

There are a few features in the pack that are not shown in the movie — for example RTL/LTR language support via the toggle link above the string edit boxes and in the write tab were not demonstrated. Similarly, the localisation of Link and File descriptions; image alt-text and captions exist in the pack but were not included in the movie.

I have also updated the documentation about “making your plugins compatible with the MLP Pack” to include a section on getting your plugin to access localised data.

Last edited by net-carver (2007-01-13 05:56:46)

Steve

Board footer