Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#277 2006-10-06 16:07:18

Ace of Dubs

Re: Improving TXP Image Management

Thanks for the tip, amigo. Will def give it a spin :)

#278 2006-10-23 20:35:00

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

A few months ago I posted a screenshot of my plugin nhn_image_organizer.
The project is still alive :) I just have to finish my final thesis at university.
But as a teaser for you, a new preview:

#279 2006-10-23 21:16:02

TNT
Website

This is making me very curious!

But what are you doing here? Go on, finish your thesis! :-)

Prrrrrrrr

#280 2006-10-23 22:32:45

squaredeye
Website

This is making me very curious!

CURIOUS! HOW CAN YOU JUST BE CURIOUS! This is making me squeel like a pig! Cmon Thesis!
Nils, watch out or I may even PRAY for you!

I’m excited to see where this goes…

:)

Matthew

#281 2006-10-24 07:41:44

jakob
Admin
Website

That looks fantastic, nils!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#282 2006-10-24 09:33:49

Ace of Dubs

Now that’s what I’m talkin about!

Go Nils, GO!

#283 2006-10-24 09:35:28

jameslomax
Website

Skubidu wrote:

A few months ago I posted a screenshot of my plugin nhn_image_organizer.
The project is still alive :) I just have to finish my final thesis at university.

Thesis? Dude, get your priorities right :)

That looks great – can’t wait to see it!

Last edited by jameslomax (2006-10-24 09:36:12)

#284 2006-11-12 05:48:13

jagorny
Website

This looks like a great tool to use as a compliment to the recent ransom of the flash batch uploader…

#285 2006-11-12 06:20:25

hakjoon
Website

Please everyone go look at Wet’s great new plugin which combined with upm_image goes a long way in meeting some of the image tag requests.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#286 2006-11-15 19:30:36

feragnoli

hello, I hacked for my own use a version of rss_thumbpop in order to make it able to look for image categories named after the Url-only name of an article. It just seemed an easier way to remember what image category was related to an article rather than having to check every time for the article id.

There I began to think about the overal Image Management in Textpattern.
I think the continuous switch forth and back between write and images is really painful; the same goes for any image selector which opens in a popup.

My considerations are that:
  1. Images should just be manageable form the write tab, as much as any other detail of the article (title, body/content, etc). That is:
    • upload (single or batch)
    • categorization (assigning a category or group in order to relate them to the article which is being edited)
  2. The images tab should be for general image files management: viewing, deleting, rearranging. That means:
    • there should be a checkbox just like in the content > articles tab allowing to assign a category, deleting or thumbnail generation for the checked images (with selected: change…, delete, etc)

The batch upload is being tested by Eric Limegrover here – seems to work fine. Couldn’t be included in the write tab?
As for what my goal was, I intended adding a create image category button under the Url-only title field to… yes, to create an image category from within the write article tab but so far I’m not able… to put my hands in there.
Yet that would save my users from copying-pasting between different windows: they would be able to write the article, upload the images and group them from within the same page to only at last switch to the images tab in order to _batch assign the category to the desired images (you know, some people really don’t find computers easy).

Hope that doesn’t sound out of place here…
Thanks

Last edited by feragnoli (2006-11-15 19:31:58)

what was that again…?

#287 2006-11-15 19:45:49

squaredeye
Website

Feragnoli,
I think those are great ideas and issues.
Its worth continuing to think about. If you know how to submit patches, or work with plugin devs that can be the most helpful.
For myself, I would like to go after UI changes considering my abilities are more in design than in coding.

Matthew

#288 2006-11-15 20:13:14

hakjoon
Website

feragnoli wrote: categorization (assigning a category or group in order to relate them to the article which is being edited)

I feel like article -> Image relationships are exactly what the article-image field are for. It’s exactly that, this article is related to these images. Articles and images don’t necessarily have any relationship. I can have images that exist solely in an image gallery context without being attached to any articles.

Now a simpler mechanism to attach a full category of images to an article could/should be devised, but I still feel that something like creating a category with the same name as an article or something is just a hack. The way to generate relationships is using something like article-image field.

Ez-publish has this feature called related objects that let’s you attach objects to that article. The display is different depending on the view or object, so you would in essence attach the image category to the article and then decide how that attached object should render (mini gallery, link to gallery). This gives you ultimate flexibility because the category will still be attached to the article even if titles or names change.

Just a thought, but it seems that attaching elements to articles is a need already otherwise things like upm_file_packets would not exist.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

Board footer