Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-09-17 09:03:23

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

r1828: localisable typography

Hi everybody!

I was very excited as I saw the latest changes in SVN this morning. If I understand it right, translators are now able to define the type of quotes that Textpattern uses. So it would be possible to have „this“ instead of “that” depending on the languages settings you are using. This is really cool!

There is one problem though: In German for example there is more than one valid way to use quotes. We’ve got „this“ and »that«. So there should be the possibility for the user to select or switch the kind of quotes he wants to use. Maybe this could be possible with a new preference (a dropdown or something similar, where the user can choose the quotes).

As I said above, this is really a cool new feature. But it could get even cooler, if the typographic stuff handled by Textile would be completely localisable (thinking of dashes, apostrophes, ellipses). There are many differences between the languages where non-breaking spaces should be used or if – in some cases – spaces are used at all. Since a long time there are transliteration lists for all languages to make non ascii characters url friendly. It would be a great improvement to have some kind localised typographic lists for Textile too.

Nils

#2 2006-09-17 09:55:28

zem
Developer Emeritus

Re: r1828: localisable typography

For now we’ll stick with one definition of single and double quotes per language (single_quote_open/close and double_quote_open/close). Think of it as a trial run.

It’d be helpful if someone could collect examples of localized punctuation from various languages, so we can see the scope of the problem. Perhaps on the Translation forum.

Alex

#3 2006-09-17 10:11:06

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Think of it as a trial run.

I do :)

There is an article in the German Wikipedia about the usage of quotes in different languages: it’s a table so I think it should understandable even if you do not know the language.
The last column displays the kind of space that should be used in the diffent languages between the quotes text and the quotation marks. Typography seem to have many minimalistic differences from country to country…

#4 2006-09-17 11:29:44

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

It’d be helpful if someone could collect examples of localized punctuation from various languages, so we can see the scope of the problem. Perhaps on the Translation forum.

See here

#5 2006-09-17 23:49:58

zem
Developer Emeritus

FYI, I’ve added the four quote marks as new language strings. Can someone test and confirm that it’s working ok?

Alex

#6 2006-09-18 07:47:51

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

It’s working with German language settings.

Board footer