Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-08-09 23:52:42

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Consistent Tag Names

This isn’t very important, but it’s been bugging me for awhile. Most tags use an underscore to separate multiple words, but there are two that don’t, but it’d be nice if they did:

1. sitename
  2. linklist

Also, on the pages tab section in presentation, “Site Tagline” should be changed to “Site Slogan,” as it isn’t very intuitive (ex: one would think txp:site_tagline would be used instead of site_slogan).

Again, these are minor requests. Thanks.

#2 2006-08-10 00:30:17

NyteOwl

Re: Consistent Tag Names

While it’s just personal preference I’d prefer a tag site_tagline to site_slogan :-p

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

#3 2006-08-10 01:25:21

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Same here, but I figure it’s easier to just change the link text for the tag builder.

#4 2006-08-10 11:17:51

Ace of Dubs

While we are bitching about naming conventions, there are two things that always rubbed me the wrong way with TxP…

1. Forms – totally counter-intuitive to what they are, since most html coders think of forms very differently. They should be called chunks, or clips, snips, snippets, etc..

2. Article_Custom: I think this tag confuses the most people of all because it just doesn’t sound like what it does. I dont understand why it’s not called “article_list”… people would be able to grasp that concept a lot faster.

Other than those two niggles, I think TxP has done a splendid job with its terminology.

#5 2006-08-10 12:36:42

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Ace of Dubs wrote:

2. Article_Custom: I think this tag confuses the most people of all because it just doesn’t sound like what it does. I dont understand why it’s not called “article_list”… people would be able to grasp that concept a lot faster.

I’m sure you know by now but here it is: article_list and article_custom . I think that the 2 are aptly named for what they do. If your suggestion is to replace the txp:article tag with article_list, I can see many problems ahead, especially for a lot of sites and people who:

1. Changes in code on all live sites, some of which are very complex
  2. Got used to the tags on live sites for a few years now
  3. Maintain sites for others
  4. the list goes on

Minor changes to naming would be fine (given that there would be backward compatibility) but swapping around tags would be a disaster in my view

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2006-08-10 14:52:55

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Hey, wait, this is about consistent naming, not redefining!

#7 2006-08-10 20:22:05

Ace of Dubs

deldindesign wrote:

Hey, wait, this is about consistent naming, not redefining!

With colak’s response we are still on track with your thread, dd. Think about it…

One of TXP’s most used conditional tag is if_article_list, wouldn’t logic would assume that there should be an article_list to compliment such a tag? And isn’t article_custom really just an article_list begin with? In the same spirit of consistency, if_individual_article should be slimmed down to if_article. Makes more sense and less typing.

#8 2006-08-10 20:40:21

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Doesn’t make more sense to me at all. if_article_list: I expect a list of articles. if_individual_article, I expect one and only one article. article_custom is special condition, always has been, always will. Hence “custom”.

What happens for an individual article? Since when does <txp:article_list /> make a bit of sense for that situation? It doesn’t.

Don’t get carried away with renaming where it’s not warranted and well thought out.

#9 2006-08-10 23:45:32

hakjoon
Website

Plus technically article_custom can be a list or an individual article depending on the conditions.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#10 2006-08-11 01:21:27

Ace of Dubs

Interesting hak, I only use them for listing articles. In that respect I suppose the name makes sense.
And yeah… I need to lay off the caffiene 8)

Sorry for de-railing your thread, dd….
Keep up the good struggle

#11 2006-08-28 12:24:21

scross

If you changed the names (eg. sitename to site_name) then there would be big problems for people who already had millions of these tags in their files. To solve this you could run a script on the update which would convert all these tags to their new names…though I’m not sure whether this would be possible (I’d imagine it would be).

Board footer