Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-02-07 02:59:49

hakjoon
Website

Re: Top differences of TextPattern versus WordPress?

The simple answer is there isn’t one.

Textbook was an effort spearheaded by Destry, Alicson and Remillard to do something about the previous near complete absence of documentation. It is intended as a documentation incubator that will eventually result in a real manual, and it’s a community effort (with the devs pitching in when they can).

Involvement is the only thing that will make it better, and good documentation is hard.

These articles are good starting points

And ask questions. You will find the forum very helpful.

Last edited by hakjoon (2006-02-07 03:00:49)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#14 2006-02-07 03:09:04

Jeremie
Website

For most uses, everyday’s uses, I believe Textbook is far more useful – mostly – as it is, than a printexd or whole pdf manual.

#15 2006-02-07 13:02:27

Hans
Website

No PHP in templates? What are you talking about?! I’ve got so much much PHP in my header form it probably makes more than half of the form’s size. If I couldn’t use PHP, I’d be awfully helpless, alone, confused, limited…

Lumilux – A Photoblog

#16 2006-02-10 12:16:27

edburdo
Website

True… you can use PHP, but it isn’t required. That’s what makes it nice for those people who don’t know PHP… and have no desire to learn it.

Eric

#17 2006-02-20 15:18:56

alexandra

I just published an article Textpattern versus Wordpress on TXP Mag. Please feel free to discuss or comment.

ps:
(well, you know i am no native english speaker so if someone feels like editing and improving the article a bit, it´ll be greatly appreciated :))

#18 2006-02-21 02:02:45

zem
Developer Emeritus

Also consider speed.

Alex

#19 2006-02-21 13:40:59

TheEric
Plugin Author

>> slobizman wrote:

>> Yes, that has bothered me. You don’t always know if you can really just swap out a theme or not, without causing havoc. So, in TP,
>>you can usually count on swapping templates and not having anything blow up?

>How difficult it is to change templates?

>And, I’ve been looking around for templates in TP to see what people are doing with it, but I’ve yet to find any sites that show as many >templates as WP has themes. it’s easy to find hundreds of WP themes, but at most I’ve just seen about 20 TP templates. What’s up >with that? Have I just not found the right site?

Most TXP users are capable of making their own layout/design and choose not to go for the meme approach to templates.

#20 2006-02-21 14:10:39

slobizman

“Most TXP users are capable of making their own layout/design and choose not to go for the meme approach to templates.”

The meme approach to templates is important in expanding market share. For example, with me, I can modify CSS enough to change the look of a template, but I need to have a close enough match to begin with. So far at least, it’s not going to work out for me with TP, but it will with WP since there si so much many more themes to choose from to begin with.

#21 2006-02-21 14:53:14

TheEric
Plugin Author

Ah. So you “tweak” an existing design so that it still resembles the previous iteration, but different enough so that you can call it yours? I don’t suppose I’ll ever understand that as I like something to be mine and not just another version of the blog I visited a few minutes prior. If meme’s are your thing, I suppose WP would be ideal.

#22 2006-02-21 15:13:48

slobizman

> TheEric wrote:

> Ah. So you “tweak” an existing design so that it still resembles the previous iteration, but different enough so that you can call it yours? I don’t suppose I’ll ever understand that as I like something to be mine and not just another version of the blog I visited a few minutes prior. If meme’s are your thing, I suppose WP would be ideal.

No, I don’t to that just so I can call it my own. I—like thousands of others—look for a theme that has the essential elements of what I need. Then, I struggle to make changes that move it towards what will serve my purpose. That’s what people do with themes, in case you didn’t know. We can’t all be design geniuses like you. Then, of course, I put the attribution for the original theme on the page.

TheEric, you’re making TP sounding a bit elitist and I don’t think that’s what others here feel (at least I hope not).

#23 2006-02-21 15:35:23

TheEric
Plugin Author

My intent is not to portray any elitist sort of mentality, but genuine confusion as to why you would shun TXP simply because it has less themes available for it. I honestly don’t understand why that’s an issue? If a particular layout strikes your fancy, why can’t you simply change WP elements to TXP elements? For example, the ever-popular WP meme-theme Kubrick has been “ported” over to TXP. Why can’t any single theme you find elsewhere be as well?

Really, what WP and TXP ultimately DO isn’t all that different. I find the underlying syntax behind TXP superior, as is (imho) most everything else about TXP as compared to WP.

#24 2006-02-21 15:50:24

hakjoon
Website

One thing I would love themes for is to easily roll out new designs. With a themes engine I could develop my new design offline create a theme out of it, upload and switch. Doing that right now is fairly cumbersome since I would have to copy and paste all my pages/forms/styles. Anyone have any tricks for this?

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

Board footer