Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2006-03-21 22:52:56

Andrew
Plugin Author

Re: search only one section?

Thanks, tinyfly. Hm… doesn’t seem to have what I need. Each angle I look at it, search needs to be reworked a bit in publish.php & search.php, but I’m not quite fluent enough in the subtlties to know what not to touch.

#38 2006-03-23 00:17:18

Andrew
Plugin Author

So no one’s got any ideas?

#39 2006-08-21 21:37:04

leith1

Anyone who has solved this – please post. I am running several sites and want to use a single textpattern install. Divide the content between sites using sections:

section1 – site 1 content only
section2 – site 2 content only
section3 – content for both site1 and site2

Then have a search on site1 that returns results from sections 1 and 3. And have a search on site2 that returns results from sections 2 and 3.

Any suggestions anyone?

#40 2006-08-21 21:45:41

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

<del>section1 -> the search tag has attribute section=“section1”, the article tag has searchall=0
section2 -> the search tag has attribute section=“section2”, the article tag has searchall=0
section3 -> the search tag has attribute section=“section3”, the article tag has searchall=1
This assumes that you just have site 1 and site 2 and that section 3 is just for searching both sites.</del>

Sorry, I misunderstood. What you seem to be looking for is the option to set which sections to search in the article tag by using section=“section1,section2” there (or something close to that), but that isn’t supported by the TXP article tag as far as I can tell.
Have you looked at the chh_article_custom plugin mentioned above?

Last edited by ruud (2006-08-21 23:49:23)

#41 2006-08-21 22:40:06

leith1

Ruud,

Thanks but I’m not sure it will work.

Your assumption that Section 3 is only there to classify content to be included in both site’s searches is correct. But I want the site 1 search to search sections 1 and 3, and site 2 search to search sections 2 and 3. Only a single search box on each of site 1 and site 2.

From what you wrote it seems (am I incorrect?) that I would need 2 search boxes on each site (1 that searched it’s section and one that searched section3 content).

#42 2006-08-22 18:22:35

leith1

Thanks. That plugin might work if I used the hierarchical category search feature. I would rather stick to using sections and categories as I understand TXP defines them. I made the following 2-line modifications to the /textpattern/textpattern/publish.php code:

warning: Since I am new to TXP (1st implementation) I doubt this is highly recommended. Upgrading to a newer version of TXP will wipe our your modifications. Other unpredictable behaviour may arise which I’ve not found yet.

================================================
TXP Version: 4.03

CONTEXT: based on comments #39-41 in the discussion above. Assume you want to do what I wanted to do and have a search box that searches the current section (assumed to be section1 in the code below) as well as the always-searched section3 and section4. Note that making these modifications results in any/every search on your site always searching the section3 and section4 content regardless of what other settings you have in the admin panels.

MOD #1: this is the standard way of limiting a search to one section.
see: http://textpattern.org/tips/427/restricting-search-to-one-section

Modify your search_input tag on the page template where you want this section-specific search box to appear to include the section attribute which specifies the section that the search should be limited to:

<code><txp:search_input section=”<b>section1</b>” label=“Search” button=“Search” /></code>

Modify your article tag on the page template to specify the attribute <i>searchall</i> to limit the search to the current section plus the global ones (requires MOD #2 below to function properly):

<code>
<txp:article searchall=“0” />
</code>

MOD #2:
FILE: /textpattern/textpattern/publish.php (back it up 1st)

FIND: this line (~540): <code>$section = (!$section) ? ‘’ : “ and Section = ‘”.doslash($section).”’”;</code>

MODIFICATIONS:
Replace the line above with the following 3 lines:
<i>
// $section = (!$section) ? ‘’ : “ and Section = ‘”.doslash($section).’”;
$section_all_search = “ Section = ‘section3’ or Section = ‘section4’ “;
$section = (!$section) ? “ and ($section_all_search)” : “ and (Section = ‘“.doslash($section).”’ or $section_all_search) “;
</i>

Change the 2nd line above to reflect the sections that you want included in every search anywhere on your site. You would be replacing ‘section3’ and ‘section4’ in line 2 above with your section names that you wanted to be searched every time.

If there are problems with this code or someone has an improvement please post to let me know.

Last edited by leith1 (2006-08-22 20:42:25)

#43 2006-08-22 18:37:19

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

If you replace it with the following line, it would give you the option of using a comma separated list of sections in the section attribute of the txp:article tag (section=“section_1,section_2”) instead of hardcoding a specific section:
<code>$section = (!$section) ? ‘’ : “ and (Section = ‘” . join(“’ or Section = ‘”, array_map(‘doslash’, explode(‘,’, $section))) . “’)”;</code>

#44 2006-08-22 18:50:15

leith1

ruud, that’s a much better idea. The problem remains that this should probably be part of the original publish.php TXP release instead of requiring a mod. Not sure if suggestions here are considered for subsequent releases or not…

I tested it though and adding a ‘section’ attribute to the article tag isn’t picked up in publish.php. I like the idea of specifying the additional sections to be searched in the article tag so I added an attribute ‘searchmore’ to the article tag where I specified the additional categories that should be searched. I needed to modify the publish.php file to accomodate the additional attribute. I’ve redone the code mod description above to show all the steps with this new non-hard-coding approach.

TXP Version: 4.03

CONTEXT: based on comments #39-41 in the discussion above. Assume you want to do what I wanted to do and have a search box that searches the current section (assumed to be section1 in the code below) as well as the always-searched section3 and section4.

MOD #1: limit the search to the current category
see also: http://textpattern.org/tips/427/restricting-search-to-one-section

Modify your article tag on the page template to specify the attribute <i>searchall</i> to limit the search to the current section. Also add the <i>searchmore</i> attribute and comma-separate-list the additional sections you would like the search to look in.

<code>
<txp:article searchall=“0” searchmore=“section1,section3,section4” />
</code>

MOD #2:
FILE: /textpattern/textpattern/publish.php (back it up 1st)

FIND: this code (~500): <code>‘searchall’ => ‘’,</code>
ADD: this code to the next line: <code>‘searchmore’ => ‘’,</code>

This defines a new attribute to be used with the <code><txp:article /></code> tag.

FIND: this line (~540): <code>$section = (!$section) ? ‘’ : “ and Section = ‘”.doslash($section).”’”;</code>
ADD: the following lines after it

<code>
// if searching include any searchmore attribute sections in search
if (($searchmore != ‘’) && $q) { $section = ($section = = ‘’) ? “ and ( Section = ‘” . join(“’ or Section = ‘”, array_map(‘doslash’, explode(‘,’, $searchmore))) . “’)” : str_replace(‘and Section’, ‘ and (Section’, $section). “ or Section = ‘” . join(“’ or Section = ‘”, array_map(‘doslash’, explode(‘,’, $searchmore))) . “’)”;
}
</code>

<b>Note:</b> the second line shows a space between <i>==</i>. There should be no space there – the forum wouldn’t let me post the double equal sign without a space.

Now when a search is performed if the searchmore attribute is defined, all those sections specified in the searchmore attribute will be searched. Other undesirable implications may arise from this code – not entirely tested yet.

Last edited by leith1 (2006-08-22 20:53:27)

Board footer