Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2005-07-10 15:10:29

orson

Re: [archived] pap_xpoll (multiple poll plugin)

> tranquillo wrote:

> <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=3830”>Here’s</a> a patch for admin side plugins in 1.0rc1. By default this feature seems not to be implemented in 1.0rc1. I guess, that’s why you don’t see the extension tab.

Hmm, one more stupid question – how can i install the patch?

#26 2005-07-11 07:27:09

tranquillo
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I haven’t tried, but I guess you have to insert (copy/paste) the code from the patch into the three mentioned original txp files. Compare the patch code with these files and you’ll see where to insert the different code bits. It seems to me, that the patch indicates also the corresponding code lines.

#27 2005-07-11 13:29:29

orson

OK, i updated it, but nothing happens :(

#28 2005-07-19 17:24:16

loid

tranquillo,

Thanks for this plugin; I have it installed and it’s working quite well…

With one exception: I can’t get it to display the images. They’re sitting in the xpoll/images directory, and I’ve verified they’re there. However, in the polls, all I get is a text numeral representing the % of votes cast for a particular option. This happens regardless of whether ‘see votes in results’ is enabled or not. And it happens regardless of whether I choose random for the images or assign one.

Anyone have any ideas?

loid

#29 2005-07-20 06:44:40

tranquillo
Archived Plugin Author
Website

> loid wrote:

With one exception: I can’t get it to display the images.

Is this only happening in the polls results or also in the xpoll image page of the admin area?

Last edited by tranquillo (2005-07-20 09:02:26)

#30 2005-08-06 15:02:01

loid

> tranquillo wrote:

Is this only happening in the polls results or also in the xpoll image page of the admin area?

Sorry it took so long to reply, tranquillo. It was my bad; had a mis-type in the .htaccess file and now all is well

#31 2005-09-26 04:57:25

jeeves

> loid wrote:
I can’t get it to display the images.

I’m having the very similar problem. In my case, the on the poll results display fine when using Firefox, but don’t display at all in Internet Explorer 6. I’m assuming this problem somehow involved the .htaccess file in the “xpoll” directory because if I delete that .htaccess file then the images work fine in IE 6.

I double and triple checked the contents of that .htaccess file, but I don’t have a clue what is causing this problem.

Last edited by jeeves (2005-09-26 04:58:07)

#32 2005-09-26 08:53:32

alexandra

hie, i did miss this plugin .. great idea – i definately would like to use it on TXP Mag but:

Does the plugin work with TXP v. 4.0.+? And any live examples somewhere out ?

#33 2005-09-26 20:13:55

jeeves

Well I have installed in on 4.0. It seems to work fine aside from that problem of not being able to get the images on the poll results to display in Internet Explorer. If I can just get that problem solved, then I will be singing praises of this plugin.

#34 2005-09-27 16:28:12

tranquillo
Archived Plugin Author
Website

jeeves, keep on singin’, I’m working on version 0.2.

#35 2005-10-05 09:47:13

gregmay

Tranquillo, happy to hear you are working on a new version. I just wanted to offer some feedback. First, I love it! It’s pretty much exactly what I was looking for. The instructions were pretty simple to follow, though I had the same .htaccess problem that others did at first (typo).

A few suggestions:

Vote on images- I wanted people to vote on my logo, no text necessary for the first three options and a “None of them” option. Your plugin doesn’t seem to allow the use of images as the actual items to vote on- but I may be wrong. You can sort of workaround this by simply placing the images above and having coresponding numbers, but it’d be nice to be direct.

Results- The results format is weird, in that it repeats the option twice. So, it ends up looking like this for me: Option1-50%Option1 and so on.

Editing an active poll- You can’t change the number of a poll, or modify any of the fields within once you have placed a poll. This means you have to recreate one from scratch!

Small ‘bug’- Hard to fix this one, but maybe a note should be added or some tweak can be done. When you have created a poll and users have voted on it, and you delete that poll and create a new one, the ID assigned to the new one is the same as the old (if you only have one poll active at a time, like I do). This creates problems because the votes carry over to the new poll! The only workaround (right now) is to modify your pages and change the poll ID from “1” to “2” and create a whole new poll. Maybe not a big deal, but I’d prefer to only have one poll active and have a reset results button or something.

Images- why not allow the use of igm_image_popper or something to use images that are already imported/on the site?

Results- how about different ways to show results? Small graphs, or something graphical? I’m sure it’s tough to create images like this, but it would be nice.

Thanks a ton! Looking forward to the next version!

#36 2005-10-05 10:35:33

tranquillo
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Thanx for the suggestions, gregmay. They are always welcome.

I did the first version by only changing the original code where it had to be to fit into Textpattern. As I went through the code more sorrowly now and have improved my php knowledge a bit, I think that the original code could be improved (i.e. as you mentioned: editing a poll). I also try to include some new features and get rid of some nasty stuff:

- no htaccess file anymore (this was not in the original code, but a stupid idea of mine)<br />
- choose between multiple answers (checkboxes) or only one answer (radiobuttons)<br />
- a write-in option<br />
- multiple language support<br />
- individual poll and result form (not hard coded) through presentation/forms<br />
- multiple polls on the same page with individual results preview<br />

“why not allow the use of igm_image_popper or something to use images that are already imported/on the site?”<br />
- change the imageuploadfolder or the way, images are used, as you suggest

“Vote on images/Results- how about different ways to show results? Small graphs, or something graphical?”
I’ll take a look at these suggestions.

“Small ‘bug’- When you have created a poll and users have voted on it, and you delete that poll and create a new one, the ID assigned to the new one is the same as the old”
I think, I already fixed that one by adding auto_increment to the database fields. If it’s missing, I’ll also add that the options/answers will be deleted with the corresponding poll.

“Results- The results format is weird, in that it repeats the option twice. So, it ends up looking like this for me: Option1-50%Option1 and so on.”
As I understand, it’s not displaying the image for the results, perhaps that’s why you have “option1” twice.

I’ld be happy for suggestions concerning the write-in option:
I don’t intend to make it a full survey script, as I think, there are better scripts especially for that. But I can’t make up my mind, how to display the user’s input (into the textfield) in the results. Each of these inputs might be different from the others, so at the end, you’ll have 100 different inputs. Display them as a list (without number/percentage of votes)? This might interfere with other content on the website, as it grows too long.

Last edited by tranquillo (2005-10-06 06:42:55)

Board footer