1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » [archive] ajw_public_notepad

#1 2005-03-27 17:46:12

Andrew
Plugin Author

[archive] ajw_public_notepad

Noitice: See ati_notes

I decided to give admin plugins a try and this seems to work out well. It’s pretty much the same as the former (and pretty much now defunct) notepad hack, except for now it’s only one tab (public notepad). If you previously installed the notepad hack and still have the txp_note mysql table, this should install seamlessly. Otherwise, you’ll need to install both the plugin and use the simple SQL installer script.

This plugin requires 1.0RC3 rev198+.

Plugin documentation

Current version: 0.1

Last edited by Andrew (2007-01-03 03:52:07)

#2 2005-03-27 18:54:41

alicson
Website

Re: [archive] ajw_public_notepad

yay! :)

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#3 2005-03-28 10:48:04

andreas
Website

Great to see all these hacks appear as admin-side plugins. Will certainly try it! Thanks.

#4 2005-03-28 11:57:11

jelveby
Website

Nice one. Works like a charm.

#5 2005-04-14 01:07:26

Jeremie
Website

Very nice thanks.

Any chance you might expend it and keep it a plugin ?

I very much would like the notepad per author to return, and maybe more (one notepad per article would be quite nice too :p ).

#6 2005-04-14 01:31:59

Andrew
Plugin Author

Yes, there’s a chance ;-)

The only reason I didn’t convert it was a) because this was sort of a test to see how making my first admin plugin went and b) because it seemed totally user-unfriendly to have to put both tabs under an “extensions” tab or something of the like.

One problem is that the way admin plugins are currently set up, not allowing for the creation of top-level (parent) tabs, creates a unique dilemma in the case of this plugin pair. Reason being that the ‘Extensions’ tab (the default admin plugin parent tab) is the only parent tab that has enough real estate to reasonably allow room for two subtabs.

Unfortunately, it is only viewable to people with high privilege levels so that would either effectively make the public notepad a moot point, force wedging both public & private notepads under some other tab (content is the only one that has open permissions), or split them up between different parent tabs (entirely confusing and not user-friendly).

So this plugin pair is sort of at the mercy of the txp development gods as to its user friendliness, unless I come up with an insanely clever solution or the tab interface becomes obsolete & retired (probably won’t happen). I’m going on the assumption that the parent tab plugin will become available at some point in the future, so I’m not too terribly worried about it.

I’ll see what I can do & I’ll bring an admin private notepad into the fold after I play around a bit with various friendly solutions.

#7 2005-04-14 03:40:17

Jeremie
Website

Why not use only one tab, with a menu on the side to select wich sheet we want ?

Or if you can add a sheet per article (that would be great on multiple authors site with some kind of validation, better than great in fact) you could add it under the write tab content in the same page.

#8 2005-04-14 04:23:37

Andrew
Plugin Author

that’d be a good solution – i’ll look into it

#9 2005-04-22 09:53:41

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I am currently helping someone with their site layout and I had them install this as a convenient way of communicating ideas but last night I came upon a problem. I have to say that we have been hammering it a lot but I was adding a few comments and it wouldn’t save them all. It was saving but cutting most of my comments off. I had to remove what was already there and start at the top of the page again. Is there some limit as to how much text can be saved here? Is the limitation to do with the plug-in or maybe the database?

Being able to have multiple pages (re: Jeremie) would be a good workaround if it were possible.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#10 2005-04-22 15:07:06

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

I noticed that you felt restricted by the permissions on the extensions tab. You can currently access $txp_permissions from within a plugin. $txp_permissions[‘tab.extensions’] sets the visibility of the tab, which defaults to ’1,2’. Look at the bottom of admin_confg.php for all of the default settings.

I personally feel that having these values writeable by a plugin is a security hole, but it’s not so bad since the plugin would have to be installed by an admin, and it can only grant access to logged in users.

#11 2005-04-22 16:00:19

Andrew
Plugin Author

I’m not sure as to the cutting off of comments; the field is set as a type ‘text’ in mysql, which should allow for any length. What I suppose might have been happening was that you were writing a note while your friend was writing a note and your saves may have overlapped, making some content “disappear”.

I seem to remember fixing this problem is older versions (when it was a two-tab plugin) but I’m not sure as to the current state. I’m juggling a few plugins at the moment but this one is definitely a priority. I’ve got some time in the next few days so I’ll investigate these issues.

As to the permissions, I’ll likely leave it up to the user as to where they want to stick the darn thing. Ideally this should all exist under one tab anyways, which would negate the parent tab issue.

Thanks for your input!

#12 2005-04-22 18:55:35

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Thanks for that Andrew but it does warn you when that happens so I am aware of that potential problem. This wasn’t one of those times. I kept trying to add to it and save but it would save a truncated version at the same point each time. It simply appeared that it wouldn’t let me add more.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » [archive] ajw_public_notepad

Board footer