Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2005-03-14 03:21:05

Jeremie
Website

Re: PunBB integration?

One thing…

I think it should be important that there is no “real integration” of PunBB, but either some kind of transparent and powerful bridge, or gateway, between PunBB and Textpattern.

Integration would generally means that PunBB will be integrated into, and that can be read as “put the PunBB code into TXP”. And that mean a lot of hell work to keep up with PunBB new versions, mods, and so on.

It would be better to leave the 2 apps mostly untouched, unhacked, but to build a bridge between them so that for the end user and the author it work transparently.

In time, down the road toward TXP 2, maybe we can convince Dean and the others that the all comments system is just redundant, a forum sofware (like PunBB) can do it, is better equiped to do it, and will always be better at it.

But that’s not a point right now with 1.0

#14 2005-03-14 13:37:44

kirpi
Website

Indeed, bbPress happens to be very interesting:
  • a) It seems to work well, although at an early development stage.
  • b) It’s light, but has all you need to run useful forums.
  • c) It’s newborn (sort of), so that a positive cooperation between WP (bbPress) and TXP coders/helpers could lead to an open, easy pluggable (bridge-able) tool for both platforms. Sharing help between communities is a good thing, usually.
  • d) Sharing the permissioning system could probably be easy, then.

> all comments system is just redundant,
> a forum sofware can do it, is better equiped to do it,
> and will always be better at it

It is an interesting idea: could you please make a couple of examples, just to let me understand better, if you like?

Last edited by kirpi (2005-03-14 13:42:34)

#15 2005-03-21 16:11:34

davidm

kirpi, I think the idea of bbPress is to have something easily bridged with WordPress, not necessarily TextPattern… but then again, I guess the common auth would do the trick for me.

As for Jeremie’s statement, I think comments system are more flexible than a forum : discussions are author-centric, can be presented more freely (not constrained by a specific theme) and last but not least, it’s lighter. I guess it depends on the nature and volume of content : forums are more suited to big content volumes, which make it necessary to structure more rigidly.

Personnally, I see forums and comments as complementary, not antagonist systems…

I would still go for PunBB rather than bbPress which is still immature and a bit light. PunBB is fast, secure and elegant just like TxP, it’s a perfect match :-)

.: Retired :.

#16 2005-03-21 16:52:15

arpan

I would be interested in punBB integration with Txp.

But what would that mean?

Would I be able to
-create templates for punBB through the TXP admin?
-change the settings etc. ?

basically, what would this integration mean when using Txp & punBB together?

#17 2005-07-27 02:31:06

obeewan
Archived Plugin Author
Website

alicson wrote:

i haven’t got it successfully working cuz i have punbb 1.2.2 installed, and it only works for 1.2.1… but there are others who say it’s working well on theirs

It really ain’t that hard to get it to work, just need some hacking of the code of PunBB with the plugin as a template for the hack. I did it at work where I set up an internal forum that just HAD to use Textile :). I can help out if someone needs some pointers on the topic.

Plugins: ob1_advanced_search 1.032b, ob1_search_score 1.0, ob1_pagination 2.5, ob1_title 4.1, ob1_modified 2.1

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
— Sun Tzu

#18 2005-10-10 02:53:03

davidm

Thought I’d bump this thread and check where the ball is on this… Anyone has tried to integrate punBB ?

.: Retired :.

#19 2005-10-10 13:19:41

frippz
Website

I’d also like some kind of integration between txp and punBB, but I’m not sure what exactly. :) Currently, I’m just using fgr_punbb_info to display some of the latest threads on the frontpage of a site of mine, among a few other things.

//Fredrik Frodlund

frippz.se | Adjust.nu

#20 2005-10-12 03:36:53

Jeremie
Website

davidm wrote:
As for Jeremie’s statement, I think comments system are more flexible than a forum : discussions are author-centric, can be presented more freely (not constrained by a specific theme) and last but not least, it’s lighter. I guess it depends on the nature and volume of content : forums are more suited to big content volumes, which make it necessary to structure more rigidly.
Personnally, I see forums and comments as complementary, not antagonist systems…

You misunderstood me. I was saying that a forum API is better equiped to handle a commenting system. That doesn’t change anything (well, if you don’t want to) on the frontend…

Ok, I put it another way: a comment has an ID, an author, a title (or not), a timestamp, a body, things like that. It also is attached to a article’s ID. That’s exactly what a forum API does. Each post has these things, and is linked to a thread’s ID.

I mean, why reinvent the wheel ? And more, if you use a forum API/software to do so, one can brose/read/moderate/write using an alternate “classical forum view”, without having to browse every articles to see what’s new.

And much more.

#21 2005-11-30 02:43:30

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Hi,

My first post, been reading for most of the day, trying to get a feel for Textpattern.

I wanted to quote Jeremie but I’m used to regular bbcode, textile is a bit foreign to me. Anyway, I agree with Jeremie’s statements above and I’d be very interested in exploring this further. I like how Textpattern is evolving, a mini-cms of sorts.

Rickard, of PunBB, helped me enhance a plugin for Nucleus to act as a bridge to PunBB. Whenever I post a blog entry, it feeds it to the forum and commenting happens there. You can see it working on hcgtv, follow my sig.

Though I use Nucleus, I can see where Textpattern would be a better choice for certain sites that I create.

TXP and Pun would make an excellent match.

#22 2005-11-30 03:23:35

bluearc21
Website

Thanks for posting HCGTV. I’d like to see some Textpattern + PunBB user management sync, as well as some plugin for posting articles to the forum and such using Textpattern.

“If you build it, they will come.”

#23 2005-11-30 06:10:11

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

I want to throw my name in the hat for this kind of integration! It would be perfect for what I’m looking for. How difficult was it to write the integration with Nucleus? Is that available publicly? I’ve been using TXP for a while, so if I could get this integration with TXP + PunBB I would be elated!

#24 2005-11-30 16:15:57

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Hi variaas,

The integration with Nucleus to PunBB is done with a plugin, it’s GPL and available here:

NP_PunBB-1.3.zip

At least it could be used as a basis or as a guide for a similar plugin for Textpattern.

Last edited by hcgtv (2011-09-06 00:01:08)

Board footer