Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2024-02-06 21:24:47

Destry
Website

Contents positioning and behaviour

I rather like the new Contents side bar in Wikipedia articles these days, for example. And the hide/show functionality would be okay, though I don’t care for the show/move functionality that currently exists.

In fact, if I had to sacrifice the hide/show behaviour, I would be fine with a side bar in desktop that simply springs back to the top in mobile. Here’s another example that is closer to that.

So I’m thinking about soo_toc and a template layout and styles mod, which I think I can wrestle into compliance. But the snake in the grass for me is the dynamic active highlighting part as you scroll an article. I might be overlooking it. Anyone have insights on that part?

Also, and I’m just musing the potential possibilities for dynamic Contents development at this point, but are we still kind of dependent on soo_toc for Contents lists, or is there another way?

For example, I’ve been playing around with categorized nested link lists, too, which I know soo_toc would not work in my case, but it could be neato if the header categories could be used for building a dynamic Contents in the same way.

Or maybe a Links page structure where, instead of nested link lists, you bring in individual lists from articles in a pageless section… Can a Contents list be created from the collated titles of pageless articles? Or, as another angle of consideration, from the category names of link lists within those pageless article bodies?

(Nts, you really need a better handle on xml, xpath, and xslt.)

Last edited by Destry (2024-02-06 21:58:53)

#2 2024-02-07 07:43:34

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Contents positioning and behaviour

Destry wrote #336571:

the snake in the grass for me is the dynamic active highlighting part as you scroll an article. I might be overlooking it. Anyone have insights on that part?

This part is actually quite easy to demystify (see html/css/js sources). Dunno whether a pure css solution exists, we’ll need to wait until the lunar new year festivities end.

#3 2024-02-08 06:08:50

Destry
Website

Thank you. I will investigate this more in the interstitial twilight moments of the 8th month of the next lunar cycle.

#4 2024-02-08 12:29:25

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

That’s what I meant :-) Generally, Philippe is aware of any recent css progress.

#5 2024-02-13 05:30:07

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #336578:

Thank you. I will investigate this more in the interstitial twilight moments of the 8th month of the next lunar cycle.

The dragons woke up on the 10th of the month this year as foretold by the ancient astronomers to the court.

They then revealed that you need a scrollspy script for this, pure CSS does not offer any options. Phil Wareham uses on the docs page for the Textpattern Hive theme. The script he uses is here and the configuration is inside this file

HTH & happy dragon year

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#6 2024-02-14 12:47:52

Destry
Website

Thank you.

Board footer