Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2024-01-09 09:52:26

Destry
Website

Missing 'Quote' function on forum posts

I’m logged in on macOS / FF and see no Quote links on posts. Also the colored code examples have lost their color, in case that helps.

[Edit by gaekwad: split from forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=329360 for tracking]

Last edited by Destry (2024-01-10 12:07:02)

#2 2024-01-09 10:48:19

Destry
Website

Re: Missing 'Quote' function on forum posts

Quote link and code colors are back. Gremlins are nibbling, I guess.

#3 2024-01-09 12:14:29

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #336311:

Quote link and code colors are back. Gremlins are nibbling, I guess.

This missing quote stuff is baffling to me. The server itself is untouched besides daily updates in the small hours of the morning, occasional Nginx updates (rare these days) and 4-weekly PHP patches.

My gut feeling is it’s something to do with the forum software and its JavaScript. It’s pegged at PHP 8.1 (and I’m surprised it works on that, to be frank), which isn’t sustainable beyond the end of November 2024 when security support ends.

The forum runs on our fork of FluxBB, the core version was abandoned a few years ago. There is a supported FluxBB fork with official support for current PHP, and I should have time (and sufficient motivation / willpower) to have a look at that in spring.

In the meantime, if you can reproduce the issue reliably (bonus points if you can pin down why it’s breaking), please open an issue: github.com/textpattern/textpattern-forum/issues

#4 2024-01-10 12:18:03

Destry
Website

This is probably a different issue, and perhaps related to the forum software showing its age, but I tried to post this in the other thread to acknowledge Bloke in context:

Wanted to say thanks for sharing this, Bloke. It’s just what I needed (I went with the definition lists). I would not have figured it out.

That created a page 3 in thread replies, according to what I see, but when try to go there I get a forum error:

An error was encountered
Error: The post table and topic table seem to be out of sync!

Pete said:

In the meantime, if you can reproduce the issue reliably (bonus points if you can pin down why it’s breaking), please open an issue: github.com/textpattern/textpattern-forum/issues

It’s happening now. The reproduction of it seems merely to log in. Yesterday the Quote button and code colors reappeared after I logged out and logged in again. I’ll test that now…

Update:

Just re-logged in. No quote links. I checked other threads to be sure. Of course, I would report any solution if I trip on one, but… I will at least open the issue.

Last edited by Destry (2024-01-10 12:33:13)

#5 2024-01-10 17:18:31

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #336326:

Update:

Just re-logged in. No quote links. I checked other threads to be sure. Of course, I would report any solution if I trip on one, but… I will at least open the issue.

I am using MacOS 14.1.1 /FF 121.0 without seeing any issues that you report

…. texted postive

#6 2024-01-11 17:03:44

Destry
Website

Destry wrote #336326:

That created a page 3 in thread replies, according to what I see, but when try to go there I get a forum error:

An error was encountered...

That part concerning the other thread has remedied itself, so can be ignored.

As for the missing quote, it seems to come and go between login sessions. Frankly, I’m not bothered by it, so if I’m the only one seeing it with my shitty old setup, then you shouldn’t worry about it either, anyone.

Pete, feel free to close that issue I opened, if you care to.

#7 2024-01-12 18:59:22

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #336366:

As for the missing quote, it seems to come and go between login sessions. Frankly, I’m not bothered by it, so if I’m the only one seeing it with my shitty old setup, then you shouldn’t worry about it either, anyone.

That’s the kicker. I get it too – sporadically – on macOS 14.2 with Safari 17.2 and Firefox 121. I’ll leave that issue open as a reminder.

#8 2024-01-13 01:42:40

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I haven’t the “quote” button issue anymore since it first appeared late last year. It was seemingly thought “fixed”.

But the colour coding of code blocks on the other hand is a bit of a hit-and-miss when creating a comment post.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer