Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-01-08 17:59:06

jakob
Admin
Website

[Resolved] I’m sorry. I’m afraid I can’t do that…

On attempting to post to a very old site running v.4.5.7, I was presented after logging in with a dialog box showing “Internal Error” (but nothing more), which on pressing OK showed me “I’m sorry. I’m afraid I can’t do that; is an unsafe operation.” Consequently, I currently cannot log in. I last edited the site via the backend in mid-December, so I’m not sure where the problem has come from. I thought possibly a server upgrade but I didn’t receive any notifications (currently it’s running PHP 5.5.38).

For a number of reasons, I can’t update without significantly reworking some complex old plugins. Is there any way I can motivate Textpattern to show me any more details so that I can start to debug the problem (e.g. can I set debug mode in the database? Which pref is that?).

PS: It doesn’t seem to be the mixed collation error, which is reported as a common reason for this error, as the database shows utf8 throughout.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#2 2018-01-08 18:05:23

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [Resolved] I’m sorry. I’m afraid I can’t do that…

Hmmm, odd. Try setting production_status in the txp_prefs table to debug and log in, then see what you get back.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2018-01-08 22:03:53

jakob
Admin
Website

Thanks for the swift reply. That was the pref I was looking for and couldn’t remember. I set it to debug but I get no output from the admin side at all. The source code of the page with “I’m sorry…” is just the message with no indication of the operation:

<body>I’m sorry. I’m afraid I can’t do that; <code></code> <code></code> is an unsafe operation.</body>

I also worked out how to activate php error logging on the host. At first I thought it wasn’t working until I found a txp debug message on the front end (undefined var). I went in and resolved that (but bodged it first) and then discovered the message from my bodged attempt were logged. Conclusion: php logging is working but the admin login isn’t producing anything noteworthy.

All the while the front end is behaving perfectly. Also other sites on the same host account are working fine… At present I am baffled.

#4 2018-01-08 22:14:22

jakob
Admin
Website

Sorry! I feel so very silly. I can log in if I use the right login name! ???

It’s one of those days…

(For some reason, I get that response with a wrong login…)

#5 2018-01-08 23:20:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jakob wrote #308574:

For some reason, I get that response with a wrong login…

That’s totally strange. Even at 4.5.7 it’s supposed to just throw you out whether you use a valid login name/wrong password or invalid login. The unsafe operation means it’s logging you – or someone – in (perhaps via an expired cookie or something?) but then failing for some reason the other side because of a bad token.

Unless there’s some weird hole if you try to use an expired login with a current cookie that’s expired (or something), I think we’ll have to chalk this one up to “wtf”.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer