Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-04-10 03:35:40

TracyRe

GoDaddy hosting and reset connections logging into admin

Has anyone else who is hosting their Textpattern site on GoDaddy experienced difficulty with logging into Textpattern admin, specifically Connection Reset errors?

I just updated a site to v4.6.2, but this is the same situation with a site I still have running on 4.08 (I know, behind the times). Both are hosted on GoDaddy, Linux hosting with PHP v5.3 and v5.2 (haven’t gotten around to updating) respectively. When I try to access [mydomain]/textpattern/ I get the login screen for admin, but logging in takes longer than expected and the connection to the server gets reset. Reloading returns the login screen.

I’ve talked with GoDaddy hosting tech support and they are investigating by running error logs, so I’ll have to wait to see what that turns up. In the meantime, I thought I’d ask if anyone else has experienced this and what they did about it. Any help, suggestions, or shared experiences gratefully accepted.

#2 2017-04-10 11:50:49

uli

Re: GoDaddy hosting and reset connections logging into admin

Min. system requirement is PHP 5.3.3+. In the neighboured topic you wrote just 5.3. In case that info wasn’t shortened by you: 5.3 probably means 5.3.0 which is less than required by Textpattern. I can’t promise your actual problem would be gone on higher PHP versions but that’s what I’d try first.

Edit: “5.3” might also be the name of the option Godaddy offered. You could check the exact version with one more phpinfo test as described by jakob before, in the other topic.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2017-04-10 12:01:49

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Regrading PHP versions – go as high as GoDaddy offer, since more recent PHP (5.6 and 7.x) have much better caching and run faster. Basically 5.3.3 is the absolute minimum you should use.

#4 2017-04-10 14:03:35

TracyRe

It worked previously with an older version of Textpattern and PHP 5.2. Would the PHP version cause a connection reset on logging into admin?

#5 2017-04-10 15:02:24

uli

TracyRe wrote #305289:

Would the PHP version cause a connection reset on logging into admin?

I’ve searched the forums for connection reset, verbatim, and the only instances I could find say “Connection reset by peer”, no one for the actual TXP version (one post from 2006, one from 2009). Please search for your very own error message or wait for a third opinion.

If this were my website, I’d set PHP to what Phil said. You can always go back to your previous TXP/PHP combo in case things go inevitably south.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer