Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-04-08 22:36:02

TracyRe

Installation error for Textpattern 4.6.2 - cannot reach setup page

I am attempting to install Textpattern 4.6.2. I uploaded the Texpattern folder and files to the Webroot. When I entered [mydomain]/textpattern/setup/ it did not load the default setup page as expected, but displayed this instead:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: ‘\’ (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home/content/P/D/X/PDXHarmony/html/textpattern/setup/index.php on line 39

Warning: Unexpected character in input: ‘\’ (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home/content/P/D/X/PDXHarmony/html/textpattern/setup/index.php on line 39

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/P/D/X/PDXHarmony/html/textpattern/setup/index.php on line 39

#2 2017-04-09 00:23:40

uli

Re: Installation error for Textpattern 4.6.2 - cannot reach setup page

Hi TracyRe, it looks like the upload remained incomplete. I visited your website h…y…p… and called up /textpattern/textpattern.js which contains a 4.5.0 version number. FTP the files over to your server once more and try to log in again.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2017-04-09 00:46:21

TracyRe

I have been mucking about with the various versions of Textpattern I have downloaded over the years. Earlier versions have gotten me as far as setup/index.php, but failed to move the configuration forward when I make my selection of language and submit. They all time out and return a page stating that connection to the server was reset.

Right before looking here in hope for an answer, I did try downloading a fresh copy of 4.6.2, unzipping it, and reuploading to my host GoDaddy (maybe not the best, I know). I got the same result. For bonus fun, I edited setup/index.php to remove the ‘\’ just to see what would happen. I still got an error, but only one Warning and one Parse error.

I am uploading the files to the host server through drag-and-drop instead of a more traditional FTP. Do you think that could cause an incomplete copying of files?

#4 2017-04-09 01:55:32

GugUser

It seems you make an upgrade, so you don’t need the setup folder. After uploading all the new folders and files, except “setup”, and replace the older (only config.php must remain), you can make a normal login and all should be fine…

#5 2017-04-09 04:01:47

TracyRe

I keep trying fresh downloads of Textpattern 4.6.2 and fresh uploads over FTP to my host and every time I get the same result when I attempt to access the setup [my domain]/textpattern/setup. I am at a loss of what to do.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/P/D/X/PDXHarmony/html/textpattern/setup/index.php on line 39

#6 2017-04-09 04:33:09

bici
Website Mastodon

if you are on a mac make sure you upload the .htaccess file

which ftp client are you using to your host?

…. texted postive

#7 2017-04-09 08:55:17

jakob
Admin
Website

Googling for the error message suggests it could be due to an older version of PHP (less than 5.3) on your server.

Make a phpinfo file as shown here and upload it to your /home/content/P/D/X/PDXHarmony/html/ directory. Then call up http://www.yourdomainname.com/info.php in your browser and see what it tells you.

If it’s less than php 5.3, see if you can set it to a higher version in your host’s control panel. If it looks right in your control panel, but info.php is showing you something different, check each higher directory for an .htaccess file (it’s hidden by default, so you may need to set your program to “show hidden files” first) that might be manually switching back the PHP version (it will contain a line that looks like this).

Once you’ve got it all solved, delete the info.php file so that other people can’t look up your server details.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#8 2017-04-09 19:11:20

TracyRe

Using WinSCP v5.9.5 build 7333 for FTP. Using Win 7. Hosting is on GoDaddy (admittedly not optimal) Linux Hosting. PHP is v5.2, so looks like that may be the problem. I’m only an occasional “webmaster” so really not my area of expertise.

I just changed to PHP v5.3. Now [my domain]/textpattern returns ‘Database unavailable’ . Progress, I guess.

I started down this upgrade path because a scan found malware php files amongst the site files, and lines referring to those files in .htaccess. I removed the errant php files, but then I couldn’t get into textpattern to manage the website. Now I’m off to find out how to solve the ‘Database unavailable’ error.

Thank you for pointing me to the PHP version.

#9 2017-04-09 19:57:38

TracyRe

Forgot that I had to change my database password to meet new security requirements. Edited config.php with new database password.

I can now reach the login page for textpattern/index.php, but when I attempt to login, it appears to not go through; it returns a ‘connection reset’ error.

Board footer