Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-08-28 05:20:26

bici
Website Mastodon

Online Newsletter

I thought thai would be easy to research and get some examples. but i have struck out.

The mission: Organization wishes to have an online newsletter/ Each Volume would have 8-10 articles. Each Vol would be the landing page and the side bar would have the Articles. The main page would have to be a catalog of all the volumes along with keywords that are assigned .

any online examples of this idea? any clues/pointers on how to proceed?

anyways i thought that Textpattern should be up to the task of easily handle such a task.

thanks

…. texted postive

#2 2016-08-28 08:34:53

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Online Newsletter

I guess you could do this lots of ways:

A – Volume = Section

• Make each volume a section
  • Make each article an article assigned to that section. Your sidebar is then a simple article_custom section='<txp:section />' list.
  • Make the landing page a sticky article assigned to that section. Your main column would then be txp:article status="sticky" (possibly with limit="1").
  • If you have article types (think columns in a newspaper), you could use categories for that and provide a way to find all columns across issues.
  • Your main page with the catalog of volumes is more tricky if you’re using sections. Some alternatives:
    • If you have only a few other sections, use txp:section_list exclude="contact,about-us,section-names-that-are-not-volumes" to do a list of all the volume sections. That’s probably easiest if the rest of your site has little else.
    • Manually-code your list of volumes in a txp variable called volume_sections using adi_variables or oui_prefs etc. and use txp:section_list sections='<txp:variable name="volume_sections" />' to output that list. You have to create a new section for each new volume anyway, so it’s not a great chore to update that variable too. Alternatively, update the variable later when you’re ready for the new volume to go live. That way you can work on the articles in the background, and then only go public with it when you’re ready.
    • If you give your newsletter volumes a consistent incremental naming scheme, you can use rah_repeat with the range attribute to output your list of volume sections, e.g. volume-2014,volume-2015,volume-2016, etc.

If your newsletter section is supposed to be a section of another site, you might want to try the following instead:

B – Volume = Category

• Make each volume a category. Assign these categories within a parent category called volumes (or issues…).
  • Make each article an article assigned to that category. Your sidebar is then a simple article_custom category='<txp:category />' list.
  • Make the landing page a sticky article assigned to that category. Your main column would then be txp:article category='<txp:category />' status="sticky".
  • You could use the second category for article types. Or you could use another tagging plugin like smd_tags.
  • Your main page would be a simple txp:category_list parent="volumes" exclude="volumes" children="1" to list all the volume categories.

C – TXPmag

Stef gave a comprehensive account of how TXPmag is organised here including code examples and macros to download but that may be more complex than what you need.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2016-08-28 08:44:57

jakob
Admin
Website

@Stef: I read this intriguing passage under Simplifying image insertion in your excellent TXPmag write-up:

Further, a (currently unfinished) plugin based on jmd_img_selector will allow us to click a button on the admin panel to choose one or more images via thumbnails and have that plugin insert the macro automatically for us with the selected attributes and positioning class.

Do you have that anywhere? It sounds like just what I’ve been looking for!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2016-08-28 22:21:12

bici
Website Mastodon

Thank-you! Very helpful. I had forgotton to add that we will probably have the Newspaper as part of the main site, so i wil lgo with the 2 option as it will get us the resukts we are aiming for.

B – Volume = Category

…. texted postive

Board footer