Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-02-22 09:04:12

susan mussi

Connecting my Ceramic Dictionary with pottery in internet

I have caller my web “Ceramic Dictionary” http://ceramicdictionary.com/en/ , this is Ok but the trouble is that in the English speaking countries the main word is pottery. I have put Ceramic – Pottery Dictionary at the top of the English section but it does not seem to do much good in internet. I have just started going through it changing the word ceramic to pottery. Any suggestion on how I can get into the pottery sections in Google?

#2 2014-02-22 12:11:26

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Connecting my Ceramic Dictionary with pottery in internet

Hola Susan. You may find this (Spanish) guide useful to learning how Google works: static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.es/es/es/webmasters/docs/guia_optimizacion_motores_busqueda.pdf

#3 2014-03-08 18:05:04

susan mussi

Textpattern you have put moved next to my letter in “How do 1 …..and other questions I do” could you tell me where it is?

Thanks for trying to help me; my problem is I am English, old and too old to understand modern technical articles. Luckily the person who helped me create my dictionary was very patient.

Susan

#4 2014-03-08 18:39:52

uli

susan mussi wrote #279580:

Textpattern you have put moved next to my letter in “How do 1 …..and other questions I do” could you tell me where it is?

Hi Susan, it’s been me who moved your topic into a different subforum in an attempt to put things where they will be found. The How Do I forum is here. You will find every necessary subforum when you click the “Index” tab in the header region on each forum page.

Re your attempt to switch your website from ceramic to pottery: Google needs some time to revisit your pages. And they don’t read everything at once but in small portions. So a change on your website doesn’t result in a change on Google the next hour/day.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2014-03-08 20:22:01

GugUser

I think you can improve some details with regard to the search engines. For example in the head part. Actually the following is part of the head:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
	<meta name="author" content="Susan Mussi" />
	<meta name="keywords" content="Handpainted, Majolica, tiles, decorating, pictures, names, numbers, reproduction" />
	<meta name="description" content="Dictionary about Majolic Ceramic, by Susan Mussi" />
	<!--[if IE]>
		<script src="http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>
	<![endif]-->

(…) <!-- stands here for all the used scripts, css, fonts etc. -->

<title>Ceramic Dictionary - by Susan Mussi</title>
</head>

Change it to:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en"> <!-- this is missing in your code, see the following comment below -->
	<head>
		<meta charset="utf-8">
		<title>Ceramic Dictionary - by Susan Mussi</title>
		<!-- keywords aren't necessary -->
		<meta name="description" content="Description for each section, category or article" />
		<meta name="author" content="Susan Mussi" />
		<!--[if lte IE 8]>
			<script src="http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>
		<![endif]-->

(…) <!-- stands here for all the used scripts, css, fonts etc. -->

</head>

(…) <!-- your content -->

</html>

The lang attribute in <html lang="en"> needs “en” for the English part, “es” for the Español part and “ca” for the Català part.

Also important are individual titles for each section, category or article within the <title> tag.

#6 2014-03-08 20:31:54

GugUser

Does anyone know it: This url, for example for an article ceramicdictionary.com/en/g/309/gallery, is generated by MLP?

#7 2014-03-08 20:54:43

els

GugUser wrote #279590:

is generated by MLP?

Yes it is a MLP site. The html lang tag can easily be added using a MLP tag.

Hi Susan, GugUser’s suggestion is a good one; except because your site is using the MLP plugin, it’s not <html lang="en"> you need to add to the page, but <txp:l10n_inject_lang />. If you don’t know how to do this just let us know and we will help you.

#8 2014-03-08 22:03:06

GugUser

Els wrote #279591:

(…) it’s not <html lang="en"> you need to add to the page, but <txp:l10n_inject_lang />.

Question: The <txp:l10n_inject_lang /> tag puts also the html element? Because in the current HTML of the website the opening <html> is missing.

#9 2014-03-08 22:18:11

els

GugUser wrote #279594:

Question: The <txp:l10n_inject_lang /> tag puts also the html element? Because in the current HTML of the website the opening <html> is missing.

Ah, sorry, I was wrong. I hadn’t looked at an MLP site for a while… This is what I have on an – oldish – MLP site:

<html lang="<txp:l10n_get_lang/>">

The inject_lang tag does something entirely different:

This container tag takes no attributes and is used to force injection of the current rendition’s language into any contained full URLs (relative URLs will be untouched). This is primarily for compatibility with Ben Bruce’s Postmaster plugin which processes forms on the admin side to render email bodies.

Apologies!

#10 2014-03-08 22:27:34

GugUser

Els wrote #279595:

(…) <html lang="<txp:l10n_get_lang />">

Yes, that’s more believable.

#11 2014-03-09 02:16:29

jstubbs
Website

Hi Susan,

Thanks to Els and GugUser, I’ve now added the <html lang="<txp:l10n_get_lang/>"> into the Ceramic Dictionary site for Susan. Must have removed the opening <html> tag by mistake a while ago and never noticed.. thanks GugUser for spotting the mistake!!

Note – the <txp:rah_metas /> plugin is used for the meta keywords/description output. The keywords attribute has been removed.

Susan, if you want to change the title of your site you could consider changing the domain name – for example ceramicpotterydictionary.com is available for registration. Searching for “ceramic dictionary” does bring up your site in first place (on Google), so if you are looking to be high up the list in search results for “pottery dictionary” or “ceramic pottery dictionary” then changing the domain name (or adding a second domain to your current domain) might be an option.

However, whichever route you want to take you’ll still need to focus on the content of your site, as that is what counts more than anything.

#12 2014-03-09 14:51:50

GugUser

jstubbs wrote #279603:

I’ve now added the <html lang="<txp:l10n_get_lang/>"> into the Ceramic Dictionary site for Susan.

Hi Jonathan. It seems you have access to administrate this website. Maybe you can correct the language select list. The <option> element can not contain another element. For this reason, the site doesn’t validate.

Board footer