Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-10-04 17:22:28

maverick
Website

Textpattern.net vs www.textpattern.net

This may be something to do with my ISP, but in case it is not, and in case it matters:

If I enter “textpattern.net” into my browser, I get a page from my ISP showing that the domain was not found and giving search results.

If I enter “www.textpattern.net”, everything works fine.

I’m do not have this issue with textpattern.com or textpattern.org

#2 2013-10-04 17:38:42

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Textpattern.net vs www.textpattern.net

I can reach textpattern.net OK, but it does resolve to www.textpattern.net (whereas the other sites resolve to their unprefixed URL) so there is some inconsistency there (but then again we have consistency between forum.textpattern.com, textpattern.org, etc. too I guess).

It might have something to do with the way MediaWiki (which powers the documentation site) has been set up.

I do want to look at the whole MediaWiki thing one day in a similar fashion to the way we are redoing the forum – but it’s not a priority at this point. When I do, I’ll take this into note.

Cheers,
Phil

#3 2013-10-04 17:39:32

els

If I enter textpattern.net in no matter which browser, it redirects me to www.textpattern.net…

#4 2013-10-05 01:05:35

maverick
Website

I just tested it on my home ISP (earlier I was on my work ISP). It did redirect me to www.textpattern.com successfully.

Phil, I have the same experience as you with textpattern.com – it remains unprefixed and resolves successfully. Something is definitely set different between the two. Dreamhost has a place to set this option. Not sure how TextDrive handles it.

My work ISP is through Frontier, and home is another company. The fail I experienced has to be a Frontier-related issue.

Thanks Phil & Els!

Last edited by maverick (2013-10-05 01:06:48)

#5 2013-10-05 06:48:12

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

It might have something to do with the way MediaWiki (which powers the documentation site) has been set up.

Its either DNS, proxy between or a web browser. ‘Resolving’ happens before the request even hits MediaWiki or the final server. The www-subdomain is merely added by a redirect response.

Textpattern.net’s zone file contains:

textpattern.net A 37.153.96.164
www.textpattern.net CNAME textpattern.net

And http://textpattern.net responds with:

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 06:44:09 GMT
Server: Apache
Served-By: Joyent EU
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

Both are alright.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-10-05 06:49:23)

Board footer