Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2013-05-19 02:47:02

tye
Website

Re: Google+ vs Forum

Destry wrote:

The thing to do, ideally, is to create a simple social media strategy for the project

I thought we sort of had one

Personally I think we are diluting the online brand and possibly wasting energy with these 3rd party social media tools as the txp user base isn’t huge. I am a member of a WP framework g+ group with more than double the members. Plus their life can be ended at anytime myspace, Feedburner, Google Reader or their terms changed, like Facebook Pages ‘Reach throttle’ when launching ‘Promote Post’. Anyway there was talk that Google+ was just a google employee hangout ;)

Yes engage your audience in Social media and direct them to your main hubs, but build empires…. I don’t think.

I had noticed a few unanswered threads in the forum, tech questions which prior to the g+ social thing would have been answered fairly sharpish… I have no idea if the 2 are related or its the Northern Hemisphere summer, or North Korea threatening missile launches – but I think we all agree this doesn’t look good and I do appreciate that all answers are volunteered

It would be good if everyone was in the same boat and used the forum for txp tech, txp how to stuff and the Google+ for chat between users regarding general online techniques & strategies etc…. everyone on Google+ directs people to the forum for tech questions etc.

In an ideal world that would be great, I realise it isn’t all black and white with questions – but it would be a start.

Is there a txp social media rep? if not, then how about any txp mentions just get re-tweeted by any txp twitter users – I use it hardly, but could do that :)

Anyway – enoughs enough – its the weekend

#38 2013-05-23 15:25:00

gour

philwareham wrote:

Also, IMHO we should move the Textpattern project from Google Code onto GitHub proper. Promote the GitHub repo on the Textpattern homepage, encourage forking and pull requests etc.

+1

I know I’m old fashioned, but I’d also prefer having regular mailing list subscribed to the gmane (mail <—> news gateway), so that it’s possible to follow it via nntp news (my claws mailer does email/news/rss). That’s how I follow 98% of all the mailing lists.

As far as G+ is concerned, I was not even aware it exists and no interest in it at all.

#39 2013-05-27 09:16:51

Destry
Website

tye wrote:

I thought we sort of had one [a social media strategy]

Well, I wouldn’t exactly call a forum thread titled “G+ Community” a formalized social media strategy, but that is reference to consider in writing something more formal up.

I’ve talked about having a place in .com for guides, strategies, etc. That makes the most sense. I’ll certainly make a place in the magazine if nothing else comes up, a link in the footer to a community guidelines index or resources, or whatever.

It would be good if everyone was in the same boat and used the forum for txp tech, txp how to stuff and the Google+ for chat between users regarding general online techniques & strategies etc…. everyone on Google+ directs people to the forum for tech questions etc. … In an ideal world that would be great, I realise it isn’t all black and white with questions – but it would be a start.

I completely agree. And those are good ideas for going into a formal strategy doc. In the end, however, you can’t make “customers” use a specific channel. People use what they like or where they happen to spend most time. This is increasingly accepted anymore; more and more companies are adapting to it. Every successful CMS community does too.

Personally I think we are diluting the online brand and possibly wasting energy with these 3rd party social media tools as the txp user base isn’t huge.

On this point I don’t agree. For one thing, Textpattern has never had a strong brand. How many people still spell “TextPattern”, even in this forum, and nobody says anything (except Els and I). As long as there’s that lackadaisical attitude about product/project identity, then yeah, the brand will keep floundering in the quagmire it’s always been floundering in. If the brand is diluting, it’s because not enough people are trying to maintain it properly (some people do try, I can name them). Social media hasn’t got anything to do with it, on the contrary. As mentioned many times before, this is probably a money issue—nobody is being paid to look after the brand and PR.

Is there a txp social media rep? if not, then how about any txp mentions just get re-tweeted by any txp twitter users – I use it hardly, but could do that :)

Sign this man up! At the very least you should help draft the socmed strategy.

People do retweet things, but it’s a pretty half-focused affair. The more people giving it attention, the better. No doubt.

Plus their [socmed tools] life can be ended at anytime … or their terms changed…

True. But Textpattern could lose it’s hosting at any time too. Point is, the entire frickin’ web is volatile. Nothing is permanent. No social media tool, no web host, no power grid. And part of a good social strategy includes defining a contingency plan around that fact. But let’s be real, entities like Google and Facebook aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. They’ll likely last longer than this little hobby. (Well, hopefully not Facebook.)

Anyway there was talk that Google+ was just a google employee hangout ;)

Irony appreciated. ;) But maybe not.

And there’s more to think about than just G+. An official YouTube channel would be very useful. But the problem? No organization. No plan of action or strategy to follow.

build empires…. I don’t think.

Nope. That opportunity sailed in 2005. Txp is like 300 Spartans; now facing insurmountable odds but going down with a hard fight. That’s a pretty fitting analogy.

I had noticed a few unanswered threads in the forum, tech questions which prior to the g+ social thing would have been answered fairly sharpish…

A good observation, and a fair thing to bring up. But there’s probably many reasons that people’s questions get lost in the shuffle, not the least of which is … they just get lost in the shuffle. And to be fair, it can be hard knocks both directions. Many people ask questions that have been answered a zillion times in the forum or elsewhere already, and don’t even stick around or follow up with the people replying. That’s just the way it goes.

In the real world (a-hem), the more usable a product is (and the better it’s documentation) the less time/effort/money is spent on support calls, leaving more to go into productive things.

@Phil : I think I just read somewhere that Google Code is freezing because of mis-use anyway. Github seems like the right place to focus.

#40 2013-08-29 05:55:10

bici
Website Mastodon

I am on the G+ diet as well but much prefer the full meal deal here on the forums. But then again they are two different platforms.
Big reason of why i like the forums is SEARCH. It’s funny but on the Google’s G+ Communities I have yet figured out how to search.
It’s like Groundhog Day… each day starts fresh.

…. texted postive

#41 2013-08-29 10:16:12

RedFox
Website

I guess I’m not the only one but I’m using Google+ (communities) only on my iPhone … searching new stuff concerning webdesign (HTML, CSS) … and I find lots of it … also in the Txp community … :)

Last edited by RedFox (2013-08-29 10:16:56)

#42 2014-03-21 05:43:44

bici
Website Mastodon

shgalib wrote #279858:

I don’t think that google+ reduces the popularity of forum. Google+ is good but forums are better.

+1
I have spend an hour trying to find a post i made month or so ago. dam if i can fid it. I am not a fan of the +

…. texted postive

Board footer