Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-05-14 23:47:30

tye
Website

Google+ vs Forum

Do you think opening the Google+ hangout thing has reduced forum usage?

Do you think that is a good or bad thing?

#2 2013-05-15 08:44:07

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Google+ vs Forum

I think it has reduced forum usage, which is a bad thing.

The Google+ community is OK for an announcement or quick discussion, but I think that a forum is a better way to engage in a decent, valuable, helpful conversation.

The whole timeline system in Google+ (as with most social media) buries any meaningful content after it’s a few days old.

#3 2013-05-15 09:04:48

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

philwareham wrote:

I think it has reduced forum usage, which is a bad thing.

The Google+ community is OK for an announcement or quick discussion, but I think that a forum is a better way to engage in a decent, valuable, helpful conversation.

The whole timeline system in Google+ (as with most social media) buries any meaningful content after it’s a few days old.

+1

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2013-05-15 09:12:17

jstubbs
Website

I like Google+ but I still prefer the forums for conversations. As Phil says, the forum threads are not time related.

Last edited by jstubbs (2013-05-15 09:15:43)

#5 2013-05-15 09:15:40

carlahearne
Website

I think I have to agree with Phil; it’s a great place for announcements, and maybe even a good place to show off your latest site, but it’s not easy to find an old post or search for a specific topic; something that the forum is actually quite good at.. I know personally if I’m looking for help, I’ll go to the forum whereas I will go to the Google+ page every now and then to see whats going on.

#6 2013-05-15 10:52:58

kees-b
Website

I don’t like google+ at all, it’s interface is horrible and I don’t like to be a victim of the google bussines model. If it eats the forum it’s even worse…

Kees

#7 2013-05-15 11:06:50

springworks
Website

I must admit I’ve held off from joining the Google+ group up to now (although I have just joined) but I have tried browsing through the conversations on there from time to time.

I agree with all the comments above, it is just so much easier to follow a discussion on the forum and to find old posts on a specific topic rather than having to fight your way back through the timeline on Google+.

I hope the forum doesn’t die off as it is a much better long-term resource.

#8 2013-05-15 11:48:10

GugUser

kees-b wrote:

I don’t like google+ at all, it’s interface is horrible and I don’t like to be a victim of the google bussines model. If it eats the forum it’s even worse…

That’s also my opinion.

Last edited by GugUser (2013-05-15 11:48:43)

#9 2013-05-15 12:47:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

tye wrote:

Do you think opening the Google+ hangout thing has reduced forum usage?

The number of new posts on the G+ page isn’t significant so I wouldn’t say that its existence has had a detrimental impact on the forum. The slump in forum posts may be because very few people have a problem with Textpattern now :-) Or that the majority of issues have been covered and can be found easily. Or because plugin devs are fielding questions on their own github repos and until we get a decent textpattern.org up and running, we don’t have a central jump-off point to the distributed world of plugin development, nor a place where we can curate useful content from the various plugin satellite sites.

As with all social media, the information is transient at best. It’s all about “look at me, look at me, I’m the centre of the universe ‘cos I just beat Slash at Guitar Hero.” As has been noted, searching for anything is useless, which is pretty ironic given Google’s core competence. The forum is the current knowledge base and isn’t going away any time soon.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#10 2013-05-15 12:47:15

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Maybe the same question should actually be asked at G+ as the answers there might be different.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#11 2013-05-15 12:59:39

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I think the bigger question is why it’s taken Stef 6 years to beat Slash at Guitar Hero.

#12 2013-05-15 13:22:54

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

I think the bigger question is why it’s taken Stef 6 years to beat Slash at Guitar Hero.

And that was on Easy.

Not saying I suck at Guitar Hero, but, oh wait, yes I do.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-05-15 13:24:23)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer