Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2013-05-15 16:26:40

uli

Re: Google+ vs Forum

The number of viewers really hasn’t changed significantly. But the small amount of postings over at G+, posted here on this already small forum, would probably have avoided the forum message “No new posts have been made during the last 24 hours” from appearing on one of the last days. Though quite misleading, it might have been telling about the whole Textpattern project for not only prospects and new forum visitors. And having only four or five active topics on an average day during several weeks could tell us to change something as it’s sending out the wrong signals.

Wasn’t there the idea to enable forum login via existing Google/Facebook/Twitter accounts? Might lower some bars to get active here.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#14 2013-05-15 16:41:36

bici
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

I think it has reduced forum usage, which is a bad thing.

The Google+ community is OK for an announcement or quick discussion, but I think that a forum is a better way to engage in a decent, valuable, helpful conversation.

The whole timeline system in Google+ (as with most social media) buries any meaningful content after it’s a few days old.

G+ is ok… but i prefer the forum for keeping discussions in order and easy to find.

…. texted postive

#15 2013-05-15 17:02:23

mrdale
Website

kinda agree with phil… quick discussions are fine on google plus, but bigger, longer, more detailed discussions are kind of a pain to enter, read and access. There’s not as good a feeling of organization, permanency and access on google +.

Crossposting isn’t a bad idea, though. or is it?

#16 2013-05-15 19:21:15

els

I agree with most of the above. I like G+ a lot, but it’s not good for storing and retrieving information.

mrdale wrote:

Crossposting isn’t a bad idea, though. or is it?

Is there a way to display the G+ posts here? It could limit the impression of an inactive community, or at least put it in perspective.

#17 2013-05-16 04:20:38

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Els wrote:

Is there a way to display the G+ posts here?

“What happens in G+ stays in G+”, per their walled garden business model. I think they don’t even offer a feed.

#18 2013-05-16 07:27:20

tye
Website

Good – I’m glad its not just me :)

Who mentioned something about not liking the interface on G+ – looks like they listened.

wet – 3rd party so not sure if you want to use it – but this a rss feed off the TXP Google+ pagemore info here

I have to agree with bloke on getting a txp hq up and running – I’ll have a think about that

#19 2013-05-16 08:39:11

carlahearne
Website

It looks like Google have tried to make the Google+ experience look a little more like the Facebook timeline experience to me.. Not sure I like it yet, I’ll have to see how I feel after I’ve used it for a while..

#20 2013-05-16 09:45:26

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

tye wrote:

wet – 3rd party so not sure if you want to use it – but this a rss feed off the TXP Google+ pagemore info here

Were this forum run on Textpattern, a 1st party solution could be

<txp:etc_query url="https://plus.google.com/communities/111366418300163664690"
	query="//div[@class='qf ii']/div[position()<3]"
	replace=".//script|.//@*[starts-with(name(),'on')]"
/>

or something like that, assuming G+ class names are stable enough. This extracts not only headers, but also the OP themselves.

But isn’t G+ itself 3rd party? I don’t see the interest to discuss there rather than here. All that G+ JS takes hell to load on old smartphones. The forum would gain from some responsive lift-up, though.

#21 2013-05-16 10:02:04

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve really got to get a move on with the Textpattern site redesigns. I got a good way into it and other workloads got in the way. There is a responsive theme for FluxBB (the forum software) already so we can customise that for our own needs.

#22 2013-05-16 10:22:41

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

I’ve really got to get a move on with the Textpattern site redesigns. I got a good way into it and other workloads got in the way. There is a responsive theme for FluxBB (the forum software) already so we can customise that for our own needs.

Looks and sounds good, my eyes thank you in advance, Phil!

#23 2013-05-16 13:43:24

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

etc wrote:

Were this forum run on Textpattern, a 1st party solution could be

Good for parsing trusted input, but doesn’t really work scraping 3rd party content. Especially when talking about HTML structures (that a XML parser can not handle) which are fed through Textpattern (where we literally are evaling any content) to browsers.

We pretty much would need a trustworthy data format enclosing the content. Given how Textpattern’s templates work, I wouldn’t necessarily either handle it through Textpattern.

#24 2013-05-16 14:15:16

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Gocom wrote:

Good for parsing trusted input, but doesn’t really work scraping 3rd party content. Especially when talking about HTML structures (that a XML parser can not handle) which are fed through Textpattern (where we literally are evaling any content) to browsers.

PHP DOM can handle HTML, though one has to struggle with things like self-closing tags and such. When importing HTML, it gets minimally sanitized. In particular, all namespaces are stripped out, so <txp:php> and such become harmless <php>. The snippet above works as far (tested), though more cleanup might be necessary to insure security (doable).

We pretty much would need a trustworthy data format enclosing the content. Given how Textpattern’s templates work, I wouldn’t necessarily either handle it through Textpattern.

Sure, but Google does not seem to provide it. And Textpattern is not really needed, yes, but since it can do it with ease, why not?

Board footer