Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-08-06 23:37:05

tester

Install Textpattern locally

I am having some problems getting Textpattern to install locally. I am going to be using virtual hosts if that helps for a multiple site setup. Here is where my problem is:

When I get to this part:

“Here is a guide for how it should look:

• MySQL login: yourhostID_databaseUserID
  • MySQL password: databasePassword
  • MySQL server: localhost (If “localhost” does not work, check with your host provider about what to use.)
  • MySQL database: yourhostID_datbaseName
  • Table prefix: prefix_ (e.g., txp_, txp2_, cats_, whatever_) “

from this page (http://www.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=FTP_installation)

I do not know where to access this information. I use MySQL extremely rarely so this may be a basic question but I cannot seem to find the answer anywhere. I am using linux (slackware 13.1) and running XAMPP. What am I missing? My install on the server was very easy, so I am guessing it is probably a button that I have been staring at all day going crazy.

The reason I am using XAMPP is because I was unable to get Apache to work with VirtualHosts, so I figured that XAMPP would just make it work. If I should forego XAMPP, I am fine with that as well.

#2 2012-08-07 01:16:03

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Install Textpattern locally

Please see XAMPP documentation. If you haven’t already configured the server to use different credentials, the defaults are listed on that page. If you have changed the credentials, you should know them.

Once you have the credentials, you can log in to phpMyAdmin or use command-line and create a new database which then Textpattern can use. For creating database, and assigning users please see MySQL documentation.

An example statements for creating a new database and adding a new users to it would look something like the following:

$ mysql --user="root" --password="yourRootPassword"
mysql> CREATE DATABASE newDBname;
mysql> CREATE USER 'newUserName'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'newPassword';
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON newDBname.* TO 'newUserName'@'localhost';

Where the root is the server’s root user, the yourRootPassword is the root’s password, the newDBname is the name of the new database, the newUserName is the new user’s name and the newPassword its password.

Board footer