Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-04-20 11:13:09

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

New plugins being added to txp plugin site?

Just wondering, I published two from my web site, fair enough if they are not being added to the plugin web site for some reason I have no problem with the plugin web site being moderated, but I’m a bit worried that I’m not the only one and that a lot of plugins are staying in this forum/private web sites and not being added to the txp plugin site.. I hope I’m wrong!!? Would be happy to find out this isn’t the case!

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#2 2012-04-20 11:14:08

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Re: New plugins being added to txp plugin site?

If there are plugins that haven’t been added to the plugin archive can the authors just let us know here please?

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#3 2012-04-20 11:20:36

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

By the way, if this is a lack of moderators I’m more than willing to help and put in my own time to help improve the plugin situtation.. I see a guy posting for a ratings plugin in the requests forum and I know some of the old-timers (who I LOVE AND RESPECT a huuuge amount) didn’t take kindly to how he phrased himself, but I do understand that what he is saying is coming from frustration.. the plugin situation is dire..

It’s a shame when the txp core is constantly developed and upgraded, but the lack of plugins/outdated plugins right now is pulling all that work down.. as I said I’m more than happy to moderate or donate my time in whatever way will help. I hope others feel the same. Let’s get txp plugins back on track.

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#4 2012-04-20 11:34:28

els

Hi hilaryaq, the .org site is a bit of a ‘work in progress’. I believe Stef (bloke) is working on it. I’m sure that when he reads your post he will be able to answer your questions!

#5 2012-04-20 11:45:36

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Ah ok thanks Els! Thing is I think people think txp has no new plugins because the plugin archive is outdated, but actually there are plugins being developed alright they’re just a little hidden.. Stef if you do come in I’m more than happy to help if I can.. my web site is proximowebdesign.ie and I’m your run-of-the-mill trustworthy front-end web designer, I don’t like to see moderators stuggling from lack of numbers or anything it’s just not fair so get in touch I can help!

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#6 2012-04-20 11:59:21

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Just as a note, it would be great to have moderators be able to mark plugins with security vulnerabilities, I know GoCom already naturally checks plugins for this, I think it would be great to allow him to give warnings to plugin devs with old perhaps in-secure plugins, and if there’s no reply within a certain timeframe that they are willing to update, then with fair warning their plugin is ‘unpublished’. This would also give room for new plugins to replace them, the way the plugins system works that I have been told is ‘if there’s already a plugin that does it, a second won’t be published’. I do understand that might be handy in that only one plugin is developed the theory being that plugin will end up a better one because of it, I totally disagree if one plugin is starting out with bad code, and the second is starting out with excellent code (commented etc), even help files, great to have a plugin that does something, but pretty useless if the help file consists of a link back to a Polish web site/dead link ;) I think multiple plugins doing the same thing should be allowed. Let the downloader decide which is best, the same as a cms, I downloaded 6 cms systems, and decided myself which I preferred. It’s a much better way of operating because it means the quality floats to the top and that’s how it should be. I’d rather give a great coder with a great plugin the glory, than the person that happened to get there first, you know what I mean?

I strongly think that’s damaged txp plugin dev but it’s not too late by any means at all to bring this back to the top and annihilate the competition, while attracting the best names, the best help. We already have some of the best programmers in the bus, but they need more help and that’s how you do it!

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#7 2012-04-20 13:00:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hilaryaq

I’m not quite sure I follow, but I’ll do my best. Textpattern.org (currently: “resources”, will eventually be just “plugins”) is not an automatic updater of plugins… yet. Nor is it moderated: authors update it manually. If you don’t have an account then by all means request one and you can add your plugins to the list. You have to edit articles from a standard Txp admin interface and it’s yucky, but all that will change… one day.

The work-in-progress .org site is at a standstill awaiting some fresh blood to help me and a little direction in the style department. I have one or two willing volunteers and I’m waiting on some graphical elements which will hopefully be available next month. If you’re still up for getting your hands dirty and helping out from next month then I’ll add you to the list and give you a shout. In the meantime I could share a document with you that outlines the overall vision. That might clear up a few of your other questions and concerns. Feel free to get in touch with me by e-mail for more info.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2012-04-20 14:32:22

uli

hilaryaq wrote:

I see a guy posting for a ratings plugin in the requests forum and I know some of the old-timers (who I LOVE AND RESPECT a huuuge amount) didn’t take kindly to how he phrased himself, but I do understand that what he is saying is coming from frustration.

Yup, I didn’t take it kindly. I remember well how frustrated I was about the fact that some people let out all their frustration in forums despite the fact that there’s no target audience for frustration in an open source project maintained by volunteers, except for oneself.

One point that Stef didn’t mention: there’s no restriction like “if there’s already a plugin for that purpose then noone’s allowed to … whatever” though it might seem so, judging from community members’ reactions whenever there’s a request for a plugin (or feature). But I think that most of these replies are just trying to be helpful and want to not let frustrations grow too high.

But I myself was in more than one situation where I found myself frustrated about this helpfulness or that there wasn’t the one solution I’ve been searching for :)) Cat, where’s my tail to bite?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#9 2012-04-20 16:14:00

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Hi Bloke, how can I request an account is there an official way to do it?

Sorry I’m right in the middle of a launch but I love you guys and I know how much work you put in!! I don’t mean to critisise but more to draw attention to it and offer help most importantly, but yes if I can get an account to add my plugins that would be great, and even to post here how to request an account to do that will be good for other plugin authors that are missing that info.. no matter how bad the system to add the new plugins, it’s all only the shell being a bit dated and we can fix that, most important just to give that archive of plugins and show that there are new ones if you know what I mean..

I’ll come back and check later when home, thanks guys!!!

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#10 2012-04-20 16:17:49

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke you can get my email from here right? If not I can pm you or something, would absolutely love to help, especially in the ‘style’ department I have lots of experience, and currently gone down the html5 road but I can also harness myself if needs be.. I have experience moderating stock photo sites for years before the big bad wolf bought them (Getty) and.. yes ready to help!

Uli “I myself was in more than one situation where I found myself frustrated about this helpfulness or that there wasn’t the one solution I’ve been searching for” Lol!! Nice. :)

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#11 2012-04-20 17:57:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hilaryaq wrote:

how can I request an account is there an official way to do it?

Short answer: I can’t remember! I’ll set you one up and send it to your forum e-mail address.

And thanks Uli, yes I forgot to mention the ‘new plugins superseding old ones’ thing. There are no rules and it’s actively encouraged so people have choice. The most notable example of late being cbe_frontauth as a replacement for ign_password_protect.

And thanks very much for the offer of help, I’ll be in touch.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-04-20 18:01:20)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#12 2012-04-20 21:30:05

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Self-registering is currently disabled, because of security issues in old TXP versions (fixed) and because it is not know if the old version of the mem_self_register plugin functions correctly with the current TXP version (password handling has changed).

Board footer