Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-04-01 10:19:23

Destry
Website

Sign of the times about AMP stacks/systems?

https://twitter.com/lephasme/status/186152292163133440

I thought the hashtag was poignant, especially as having read this one from from Carl Smith at ngenworks.com a couple days earlier calling Textpattern “old school” (apt, and not necessarily a bad thing, IMO) …

https://twitter.com/carlsmith/status/185373083257933829

Interesting conversation about where Textpattern will be in 5 years going on in the Facebook group, for those who care to access it. Just so you know.

=====

Yoo-hoo.

Last edited by Destry (2012-04-02 08:03:12)

#2 2012-04-03 07:21:45

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Sign of the times about AMP stacks/systems?

If you check lephasme twitter account, you’ll see he is working for Wakanda who has develop a full javascript solution with noSQL database.
So “he is preaching for his own parish” as you might say in French !

And we are far from having this kind of solution wide spread among providers as you need a javascript server to run it with all the security concern it gonna raise, specially on share hosting solution.
Without any other consideration about efficient programming in JS, noSQL DB setup, and so on..

So as sexy this appear to be, i wonder if the day these solutions will be as widly used as the LAMP stack might appear.

Last edited by planeth (2012-04-03 14:21:09)

#3 2012-04-03 07:58:15

Destry
Website

planeth wrote:

So “he is preaching for his own patrish” as you might say in French !

:) Good point.

I actually know Sebastien…used to work with him a few years ago here in Strasbourg. He was the original creator of Change (on which I did a little UI/UX work at the time), a CMS built into the Firefox browser with XUL (though I think they are expanding that now…really not sure what the plans are…it’s been while).

So as sexy this appear to be, i wonder if the day these solutions will be as widly used as the LAMP stack might appear.

This is more to what I was really getting at. Whether it’s a new combination of things like LePhasme was talking about, something integrated in a web-browser, or just served up from the cloud… it seems AMP stacks have a lot less weight in the game anymore due to other technical options. As Carl Smith put it, “old school”. And new CMS offerings seem to be very specialized anymore, with far more attention to UX…better UI interactivity (drag/drop, drag-rearrange, customizable content types on the fly (a la ProcessWire…etc.).

It’s just an observation on how things seem to be evolving in different directions compared to 5 years ago, even.

#4 2012-04-03 14:25:49

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Considering the “better UI interactivity “ sure old school need a lot of rethinking or may be you right, just need to be dropped !
A point tough, through my own little experience, all these “sparkling” new thing do not seem to work very well in a hand-held device context.
But sure, the day everything is iron out, we’ll gain in user experience by a factor 100 :)

#5 2012-04-03 15:24:58

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote:

Interesting conversation about where Textpattern will be in 5 years going on in the Facebook group, for those who care to access it.

I’ll have to take your word for it, Facebook’s walled garden is not somewhere I’ll be returning to any time soon, if ever. :)

Last edited by philwareham (2012-04-03 15:25:23)

Board footer