Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-11-23 21:10:26

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Company Contacts DB On An Intranet Site

Hello,

finally got to using Textpattern CMS on a little contacts DB site running on an Intranet. I’ll have to post some pictures as there is no public URL for this one. This site is my first Bootstrap project — which I found very useful and plan to use again. It also uses v3 of the Google Maps API to render maps and routes to shops for pick-ups/deliveries. Overall the site is pretty simple, so not much more to say about it.

Login page

Above: Login page, courtesy of cbe_frontauth

The main directory listing

Above: The main contact directory listing with some test data.

An organisation

Above: Detail of an Organisation’s page. People & Shops layouts are pretty similar but with some minor tweaks.

Contact edit screen

Above: Click through from the Edit link leads to a simplified write tab on the admin side.

The following plugins were used in the construction of the site…

• bot_admin_tooltips
  • bot_write_tab_customize
  • cbe_frontauth (modified to output bootstrap compliant markup)
  • csb_if_newer_than
  • rah_change_passwords
  • rah_section_titles
  • rah_textile_bar
  • rvm_css
  • rvm_privileged
  • smd_user_manager
  • smd_write_cats
  • wet_haystack

I also played with the vCard data format in smd_qr which seems to do a great job and that feature might make it into the site eventually.

Steve

#2 2011-11-23 22:04:55

els

Re: Company Contacts DB On An Intranet Site

Nice application!

#3 2011-11-23 22:22:50

uli

Bravo for exchanging the two outer columns on the Write tab. It’s exactly how I feel it should be, data should be entered from big to small, from overall to more specific.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2011-11-23 23:51:48

maruchan
Website

Very nice, Steve. Thanks for sharing—the screenshots are great. Looks like you came in nicely under the custom field limit, too :-)

I love those user plugins, aren’t they great? On a recent TXP site with lots of logging-in and interaction, I ended up replacing rvm_if_privileged with cbe_frontauth—but you made me curious: Any particular reason why you are keeping rvm_if_privileged around?

And nice to see someone else using Bootstrap. I just finished a quick private directory using Bootstrap myself, though I didn’t use TXP (could have though). But Bootstrap is becoming very recognizable; I’ll definitely be doing lots of edits to the default visuals. For now I have the same black bar across the top as many others do :-)

BTW may I ask what you are using csb_if_newer_than for?

#5 2011-11-24 18:48:10

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

uli wrote:

Bravo for exchanging the two outer columns on the Write tab. It’s exactly how I feel it should be, data should be entered from big to small, from overall to more specific.

Yes, it definitely feels better this way, at least in this application.

maruchan wrote:

Very nice, Steve. Thanks for sharing—the screenshots are great. Looks like you came in nicely under the custom field limit, too :-)

Yep, saved having to use glz_custom_fields, though I like that a lot too. If I had to split the address into components, I’d probably have used it.

I love those user plugins, aren’t they great? On a recent TXP site with lots of logging-in and interaction, I ended up replacing rvm_if_privileged with cbe_frontauth—but you made me curious: Any particular reason why you are keeping rvm_if_privileged around?

I’m familiar with rvm_privileged but cbe_frontauth is new to me. As I had to do the site quickly (~2 days) I chose to limit my learning curve to just the login/logout features of frontauth. I also had to modify it to output bootstrap compliant output.

And nice to see someone else using Bootstrap. I just finished a quick private directory using Bootstrap myself, though I didn’t use TXP (could have though). But Bootstrap is becoming very recognizable; I’ll definitely be doing lots of edits to the default visuals. For now I have the same black bar across the top as many others do :-)

I like bootstrap — a lot. I’m even tempted to use it in my future plugins. I was tempted to do this with the ORM & Active Record features in Flourish but again chose to use Textpattern CMS because of my familiarity with it. If you’ve not had a play with Flourish yet I highly recommend you try it.

BTW may I ask what you are using csb_if_newer_than for?

As this is a multi-user application, where any of a number of managers can add/edit contacts, I wanted to flag new contacts on the directory listing page so others would know what had been added recently. I used csb_if_newer_than for that.

What I didn’t mention is the quiet magic done by wet_haystack that allows searching across virtually everything in the articles. In this case, that includes the custom fields, title & categories. Makes it super easy to find a contact quickly. Thanks Robert!

Steve

#6 2011-11-25 22:03:24

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Decided to add QR codes for organisations and shops — but not for people. I don’t like the idea of handing residential address data over to Google for encoding.

The main directory listing

Above: QR codes sit nicely at the head of a column.

Steve

#7 2012-01-21 23:53:57

vk
Website

@net-carver : It’s awesome!

Viking KARWUR
Textpattern Enthusiast & I run MadebyVK A small web design and web development studio based in Jakarta, Indonesia.
I’m @vikingkarwur and @MadebyVK on Twitter

Board footer