Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-06-14 12:40:21

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

A new default theme replacement for Textpattern

I needed to learn how to use Github for future work requirements and thought this was a good fit, so…

I’ve started a project on Github to provide a better Textpattern default theme for new users wanting to learn how Textpattern works and because the default installed theme is so fugly – something I’m sure has put off many potential Textpattern converts. It’s not intended as a finished theme, rather as a starting point you can pull apart and modify to your heart’s content.

https://github.com/philwareham/txp-h5bp-theme

It’s commented with info on what certain lines of code actually do and I’ll be adding more code and comments over time (e.g. there’s no forms section as yet) and keeping it up-to-date with techniques on HTML5 Boilerplate and other references.

Over time I’d like to think other Github users could fork it and pull request their snippets of code back to the repo, we’ll see if that actually happens!

Let me know what you think.

By the way, the theme is running here as an example.

Cheers,
Phil

#2 2011-06-14 13:13:20

kees-b
Website

Re: A new default theme replacement for Textpattern

Wow, Phil, this looks great!

Thanks!

#3 2011-06-14 13:59:05

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Phil, when I downloaded your theme last week, it had forms, what’s the difference with this version on GitHub?

#4 2011-06-14 14:07:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@hcgtv

Difference is I’ve not had a chance to upload the forms just yet (as stated in my first post) – I need to single out and upload the ones I actually use and drop all the others as I want to make this theme as streamlined as possible. i.e. no pointless unused forms that confuse new users (such as ‘lofi’ and ‘noted’).

I can probably get the forms up this evening after I’ve been down the gym as I want to test uploading to github from another location (my home).

#5 2011-06-14 18:13:48

artagesw
Website

Phil, very nice work. Would you be opposed to my porting it over to Escher?

#6 2011-06-14 19:49:29

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hello Sam,

Of course you can port it to Escher – though if it’s a straight port then a name credit and link back to the original project commented somewhere in the theme’s codebase is all I ask.

Might be worth waiting until I’ve sifted through the forms and added them to the Github repo before you undertake any port. I just need to get them fresh in my mind again so hopefully this evening or tomorrow they’ll be there – I did this theme a few months back to try and at least get some sort of discussion going on ditching the unfriendly and unattractive Textpattern default templates which I see as a huge barrier to entry for Textpattern. Unfortunately no one seemed particularly bothered so I’ve taken matters into my own hands (it was also a good opportunity to learn Github).

Cheers, Phil

Last edited by philwareham (2011-06-14 19:49:56)

#7 2011-06-14 19:50:17

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

1. Isn’t Jquery part of the base install for Textpattern already?
  1. The link to HTML5 Boilerplate in the ReadMe.md documents appears to be broken.

Very cool, though. It is much more attractive out of the box than the current one.

#8 2011-06-14 20:18:23

maruchan
Website

What a nice theme, Phil. It’d be cool to see this as the default. Is there a new default admin theme for TXP coming too?

#9 2011-06-14 22:45:12

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@michaelkpate

jQuery is part of the Textpattern install for it’s admin side, but I feel it’s not good practice to also reuse, and be at the mercy of, that copy for a front side theme. It also allows us to roll the latest jQuery release without being dependent on a new release of Textpattern.

Boilerplate link has been fixed now, thanks for the heads-up.

@maruchan

I’ve got no plans to delve into the PHP that creates the admin side templates. I think my Hive theme is probably the best I can do with it in it’s current state. I’ll keep a close eye on where the devs go with future plans for the core admin structure though.

Last edited by philwareham (2011-06-14 22:46:31)

#10 2011-06-16 03:23:51

artagesw
Website

philwareham wrote:

Might be worth waiting until I’ve sifted through the forms and added them to the Github repo before you undertake any port.

Great! Just let me know when.

#11 2011-06-16 22:33:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve added some more forms and code and stuff to the Github repo – still a long way to go until it’s a full working model. I’ll keep you posted on any milestones.

#12 2011-06-21 14:25:35

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve added some more content to the repo now, and the readme contains a lot of extra info. Still more stuff to come (including complete comments forms and styling) and better readme but give it a try and see what you think.

Any suggestions/criticisms/recommendations welcome.

Board footer