You are not logged in.
Yesterday I saw this post with an admin mockup by Tom Reno for xPattern, and had the time to relax myself trying it out with real textpattern. Surprisingly less difficult than I thought.
This is the result. I have it running as admin theme on my site:
It’s far from perfect and I have only tested it in Safari and Firefox. Plus, some other plugin helped: bot_wtc, especially. Don’t look at the extra textarea, it’s a custom field.
If someone is interested in playing with it and Tom Reno doesn’t mind if I
pulled his ideas in this theme, I could release it in the next days after some code cleanup (well, it’ll be quite dirty anyway, I fear). Otherwise I’ll avoid releasing it because it’s not my design, only some code exercise.
I thought it could be a starting point for someone else to build other admin themes with side navigation, so let me know.
Good question. There are small issues with two tabs: content> file and access logs. They are due to unpredictable lenght of some text string in table cells (url, file names..) without any white spaces in them. So, the table overflow the white container.
At the moment, I’ve been able to address those two issues with customized css selector and using some css trickery that works for modern browsers. Solution may not be ideal but should work for client’s sites, where broken layouts are to avoid. Further test would surely benefit.
Some similar problems exists also with some plugin’s extension’s screens. As they are not usually seen by client, I can live with it. But if any of you have ideas of general ways to constraint html tables into fixed width, please tell me.
In general, I noticed that table#list are quite different in different screens. Some have declared html width, some have not. Some have td width, some have not. Same for plugin’s generated tables. I suspect that similar problems would arise with any “framed” admin theme.
Last edited by Zanza (2011-06-03 14:14:49)
Theme looks nice, good work.
Unfortunately there is still quite a lot of styling hard coded into the core admin templates, as well as table based layout which really should not be and inconsistent CSS labelling. Having just done an admin theme myself I feel your pain.
On the bright side I think the devs are setting up a mercurial repo for txp5 which will allow for users commits (like github) so we will be able to help improve the core in future. Thus making themeing a lot less painful for everyone.
Thus making themeing a lot less painful for everyone.
Not relying on sort of decade old backend design code should makes things easier for you guys as well.