Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-01-27 08:13:57

Dimitri

Duplicate custom fields group for Food menu in one article

Hi people.

I need to develop a menu for a restaurant.

Is there any way I could make one article, with 3 custom fields ( i am using glz_custom_fields) for title, description and price.
but is there any way i can duplicate the cutsom fields group more than 100 in one article entry.

There is a plugin which can be achieved in Expressionengine.
Example Link

Thank you for your input, much love.

<txp:way_too_cool />

#2 2011-01-27 14:41:14

Dimitri

Re: Duplicate custom fields group for Food menu in one article

darn, no help :S

so I guess I have to make an article per item….

Last edited by Dimitri (2011-01-27 14:41:30)

#3 2011-01-27 15:07:17

wornout
Website

I’m looking for this too!
Can someone help?

#4 2011-01-27 15:43:28

Dimitri

yo wornout, looks like someone was discussing the same topic but no solution :S

BIG DAAARN!!!

Link

#5 2011-01-27 16:07:00

jakob
Admin
Website

You could at least make getting your articles into txp easier with the help of jmd_csv – that probably covers the most time consuming part of getting the infos into txp in the first place.

While editing one article at a time is a bit more cumbersome than editing a tabular view, it is only really an issue where you have to go in and edit the actual content for multiple items. I guess for restaurant dishes that doesn’t happen quite so often. A more likely scenario is that the menu changes from time to time (e.g. seasonally) and a whole batch need switching off. For this you can group-edit category allocations and status settings in the article list using the tick boxes.

The situation where I can imagine having to change the content of multiple items is if there are price changes across the board. For that situation you could resort to doing that part for your client in phpmyadmin, which allows you to edit multiple table entries at once.

If you actually want to display it as a table, there is also rcb_excel

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2011-01-27 16:17:31

joebaich
Website

Hello Dimitri, I had a quick look at the Matrix plugin for Expression Engine that you referred to in your opening post. It seems to me that, apart from the fact that it integrates with EE, it really isn’t too different from Excel or any other spreadsheet programme. What ever one does, there is still the need to type up 100 Item names, 100 Item descriptions and 100 Prices and so, in that respect, Excel is as good, if not better, than the Matrix plug in.

It is not difficult to export an Excel table as a comma separated file (CSV) or any other delimited file that suits the purpose. From there, it’s straightforward enough to use search and replace in a good text processor to turn the CSV (or whatever) file into Textile formatted text. See this thread for example. You could include Textilized CSS classes in the Excel file (item), (desc) and (price) too.

Not ideal I know, but it will save creating 100 articles and probably create a document format (Excel) that the restaurant owner is happier to upkeep. It it’s a matter of managing the daily ‘specials’ then the article plus custom fields approach might work there in conjunction with the spreadsheet.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by joebaich (2011-01-28 15:56:08)

#7 2011-01-28 09:39:56

Dimitri

Thanx so much for the help. I am using jmd_csv, I even added custom fields names on the csv so it automatically combines. Simply brilliant. Over 400 entries done :) in a jiffy.

@joebiach, I work with Expressionengine. the Matrix plugin is simply brilliant. Let say you created a text input box, and a date picker from the glz_custom_fields.
But the client asked for more of those in one article. You simply click on (+) button to duplicate it, even article images, body, any fields. ITs an extremely flexible plugin.

Thanks for your reply, be good :)

Board footer