Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-08-07 03:04:19

jacknails
Website

[request] Bounty - A complete Video plugin - make video a 1st class TXP citizen!

Hello to all,

I propose a plugin that will allow site editors to manage video as easily as they can currently manage images.

Here’s my idea – add a new tab under “CONTENT” named “Videos”.
From here, users will see almost exactly what they see for “Images”: A list of all the videos with a jpeg thumbnail and a form to upload new videos.
Since video files are large, there should be some indication that the file is uploading – a progress bar etc. Ideally something like FileChucker to allow batch uploading.

Video files can be flv,mov,mp4,wmv etc.

After the file is uploaded, we are taken to the video editing page where we can play the video, upload a jpeg thumbnail, choose category, caption etc.

Under categories, we can create categories just for videos.

Finally, we’d have a video tag that would allow us to output any code we want to embed a video in a page.

It would also be nice to have “Article Video” appear after “Article Image” in the Publish page. (though it could be easily done with a custom field.)

I kinda think it would be nice to also have the same for audio, but that may be too much.

$150 is my bounty. (I’ve never had a bounty :)

I think this would make a great addition to TXP, and hopefully it will find it’s way to the core.

I have a dream and it’s in video!

#2 2010-08-25 10:23:12

Algaris

Re: [request] Bounty - A complete Video plugin - make video a 1st class TXP citizen!

This could potentially be useful for an up coming project I have depending on how you plan to implement the plugin. I have some questions:

1. Do you plan on outputting the video using something similar to this: http://videojs.com/ and Would the plugin be HTML5 compatible?

2. What with different browsers supporting certain types of video but not others, would there be a way to associate different videos together? And would it be possible to conditionally output the correct format depending on which browser is being used (e.g Ogg Theora – Firefox, H.264 – Webkit, and Flash fallback for browsers that don’t support HTML5).

3. Do you plan on allowing users customise the appearance of the video player or having the native OS style it?

4. How long do you think it could potentially take you to complete the plugin?

Thanks.

#3 2010-08-25 11:42:15

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: [request] Bounty - A complete Video plugin - make video a 1st class TXP citizen!

Agree with Algaris on video formats, I have tested html 5 video extensively and currently you’ll need to encode at least an mp4 version and an ogv, and ideally a webm version too. Though it’s relatively simple to output the correct format as you just link all 3 formats within the video tag and the browser chooses the one it can play, and videojs (or sublimevideo which I’m liking better) handles the fallback to flash and consistent UI.

#4 2010-08-25 12:20:06

Algaris

Or better yet have it script/player agnostic like smd_gallery so that users can choose which one they want to use in conjunction with the plugin.

I was wondering if you would be able to link all three formats together and output them with a single txp tag and an ID number or section/category etc without having to code individual links to each video.

Last edited by Algaris (2010-08-25 12:20:49)

#5 2011-03-14 20:11:34

kstewart
Website

Has anything happened with this? This is what I’m looking for…

www.kimstewart.co.uk

Board footer