Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-06-24 08:46:25

Ruhh

possible clean URLs with some PHP functions disabled

Hi,
Has anybody tried .htaccess modifying to get clean URLs while some PHP functions are disabled by host (I cannot get them enabled in the future unless I pay)?

<txp:Ruhh />

#2 2010-06-24 13:52:26

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Re: possible clean URLs with some PHP functions disabled

Hey – What problem are you having specifically? Any things you’ve tried so far?
What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Last edited by JanDW (2010-06-24 13:53:56)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#3 2010-06-24 16:14:02

Ruhh

Well having the clean URLs on in my admin, it kind of works; just that I still see the error in the diagnostics. I have tried a few additions to the .htaccess file I found via Google results and no luck in getting rid of that error.

One of the additions I saw was this but have not tried it boost .htaccess… and my host from the list there is byethost. Unfortunately this addition is for Drupal and I needed such one like that for Textpattern.

Last edited by Ruhh (2010-06-24 16:19:49)

#4 2010-06-24 16:47:48

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

So you do actually get e.g. http://url.com/section/title urls for your articles?
What’s the exact error you’re getting and where does it appear?

In regards to that boost htaccess thing, you’d have to check if the necessary modules are available on your host, there’s not much of a point in trying otherwise.

.htaccess isn’t really my forte, so I’m hoping someone else is reading this too :-)

Last edited by JanDW (2010-06-24 16:49:01)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#5 2010-06-24 16:53:47

Ruhh

Yes I do get section/title urls and I see no errors on Testing status. The only error I see is on Diagnostics in admin. I don’t think I have any modules available on my host. Thanks for at least trying to help me :)

#6 2010-06-24 17:06:43

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

You’re welcome.

Well – I don’t think you’d be able to get rid of that error on the diagnostics tab using .htaccess anyway. A url rewrite would still not change the fact that some php functions are disabled. Since you don’t need an actual URL rewrite, I think that’s as good as it is going to get.

…unless, you know, I’m completely wrong…

Last edited by JanDW (2010-06-24 17:07:35)

#7 2010-06-24 18:30:28

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

As long as the clean urls work, you do not need care about the diagnostics notice.

In your case, the Clean URLs test failed notice just notifies that the test itself failed. I doesn’t mean that your clean urls are not working properly (thus the naming test failed), instead it means that the test wasn’t completed succesfully which isn’t a problem.

The test can fail for reasons that have nothing to do with the clean urls. For example, if PHP’s file functions don’t have access to do outgoing connections via HTTP (but allow_url_fopen is still on), the test will give you that notice.

RPC should give you same kind of answer if you click the more info link that is displayed next to the Clean url test failed notice. Of course the translation you are using might be incorrect or incomplete.

Quote from rpc.textpattern.com / en-us / Diagnostics: Clean URL test failed

It appears that either your site URLs (site.com/section/article) are currently not working or your server does not support the test procedure to determine if clean URLs work or not; if clean URLs on your site actually work, you can ignore this message.

Hope that helps.

#8 2010-06-24 19:18:45

Ruhh

Ok that sounds more clear to me! Thank you.

#9 2010-06-24 20:33:23

els

You don’t happen to have rvm_maintenance installed and activated? Because then you always get the ‘clean URL test failed’ message ;)

#10 2010-06-24 20:34:30

Ruhh

I do have that installed but not activated. I’ll just ignore the message even if it kind of bothers me :P

Board footer